View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #9

Well... got to work on the wiring harness this weekend. The new one I ordered... sadly... was too different from my original. Half the connectors were different... many wire colors were different (not that I couldn't handle that... just lots more to trace and figure)... and it seemed as though it was designed for a machine with the CDI and regulator more towards the front of the craft... not in the rear like on my ATV. Maybe I had it backwards!

Either way... I decided to go back to the original and fix it. I removed all the etape and wrappings. Inspected all the wires. Soldered all the crimped junctions. Fixed the previous hacking. Replaced a few broken connectors (used good ones off new harness... since I'm not going to be mailing it back to China). Next, I laid it out on the ATV and double checked all connections, lengths, etc.. Then wrapped it all up once again and put the protective plastic conduit on it. Back on the ATV... into place... all connected up.

Happy to report everything is working (that I can test... no lights currently). Key switch, kill switch, starter button, brake switch... all working as expected. Engine turns over and makes great spark!

I also thoroughly went through the PZ30 carb. Looks like the stock jets were a #98 main... and #38 pilot. Based on my PZ30 tweaking on my Kinroad... I decided to open the pilot up to a #40... since they always seem too lean down low from the factory. Then I used a spare main jet ~#102+ as a starting point.

Got the carb all installed... and was excited to hear this engine finally sputter to life. But that was not meant to be. Turns out I have zero compression. D'oh!

So... next up will be to pull the valve cover... make sure I didn't botch something in there when I adjusted the valves earlier. Would be nice if that were the case... but I'm not holding my breath.

If not valves... guess I'll be pulling the head off to inspect. Easy enough to get to... won't even have to pull the engine out of the frame on this ATV. Hope the head is okay... and it's nothing more than just rings. Guess we'll see.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)