Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

New Saga 250 Enduro rider from Alberta

Hey all, I just picked up a new Saga 250 enduo the other day. For the price, it couldn't be a better value. I have been riding for many years, but have never had a "knock-off" before, but from what I can tell so far it's very similar to my old Honda crf230f at least engine-wise.

Because I am vertically-challenged, I have had to do a few things to the bike to be able to touch the ground with both feet. First, I ran the shock collar rings to the top of their travel, and lowered the triple on the forks. Then I shaved the seat foam, so now I can just touch the ground with my tippy-toes. Hopefully the rear shock will loosen up a bit to give me even more latitude. I also changed the plug to an NGK one, which seemed to help with the cold starting and smoother running. I also replaced the oil, as the stock stuff was just gross. Now if only the snow would melt, I could take it for a spin to test out!

My bike, but I got it a lot cheaper, it was a deal!

http://www.blueskys.ca/dcm2/photo_ga...=2577&v_id=130

Old 03-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! You bought a very good bike with good support and many people will be able to help you along here.

With that said it seems like you have made some intellegent and thoughtful mods already. :P

Of course we are all waiting for pictures.

Bummer about the snow.

Canuk?

Old 03-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome, and yes, a Canuck! We got an unusual amount of snow this year for the area (according to the locals - I just moved here recently), and it will be some time before it's melted enough to ride on the dirt, but maybe a week of good weather for the roads to clear enough, I hope.

After seeing the bike in a local auto dealer, and the price attached, I did some research to find out as much as I could about it before committing to buy. I found some information on this site, and that's why I'm here now.

What kind of a/c is a Maule Comet? Is it Lycoming or Continental powered? I took a/c maintenance engineering many years ago, but am not in the trade today.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #4

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. Saw your thread over on the other site

Old 03-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageHardIntoTheBendies
Welcome and congrats on the purchase. Saw your thread over on the other site
Thanks. Do you have a service manual for this bike, or a link to it? I would like to know specifics, like right now for the fork bolts torque.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #6

no unfortunately I dont, just have the manual that came with it that is all but useless.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #7

Welcome; we are glad you joined us! You have made some very good modifications to lower your new bike. If you have time, please post some photos of your motorcycle; we love photos!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #8

Welcome from a former Albertan.

With all this talk of working on your own bike (and your screen name references fishing), I bet you have the full attention of several of the fellas around this shop.

I think you picked a good bike; I'd love to have one, particularly because of my familiarity with old Hondas. What year is your CRF?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Welcome from a former Albertan.

With all this talk of working on your own bike (and your screen name references fishing), I bet you have the full attention of several of the fellas around this shop.

I think you picked a good bike; I'd love to have one, particularly because of my familiarity with old Hondas. What year is your CRF?
I had a 2007 CRF230F, but sold it since moving here. I probably should have kept it, but alas I didn't think that I would use it since I got a sport quad. I had a baja designs light kit on it, but no speedo so it wasn't quite road-legal. Now I have a road-legal clone, for half the price. We'll see how it holds up compared the the Honda.

After I went over the bike and had a good look at it (and approved of it), my husband decided he is going to get one for himself, although he will be able to ride it with the stock height, lol. The next thing is to teach him road riding so he can get his class 6, but all in good time. It will be nice to have a suitable bike for all the dirt riding and gravel roads around here.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #10

Hello from another small town Albertan . I'll be interested in your impressions of the Saga, I was looking at them but ended up with a Konker that was on clearance. Sadly I sold it shortly after buying my KLR... My brother in law loves it though!

Cheers,
Stew

Old 03-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #11

If your looking for another Saga I'd let mine go for a good price, I'm thinking about upgrading to a 400

Sent you a message.