Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I'm very glad you are getting a replacement fork! Did you ever contact your dealer regarding this matter? :?:

Spud
Yes I did. I was thinking about the whole situation today and I have to say that the dealer is in a very difficult position. He cannot do like I did and work out a way to make a purchase of a part from an American distributor who is not licensed to sell to Canada. How can he do warranty work on a bike when he cannot communicate with or get support from Konker? Furthermore, the prices for parts on the konker site are too expensive to make sense. $750 for a RH front fork assembly on a bike that should cost $2000 is too much. Perhaps Canadian import taxes or some other factor makes it expensive, or maybe it's just priced too high but either way the business channel is blocked. The part from Q is only $300. And the dealer is going to do the install. I am fine with that.

I also have a number of ways to get my hands on the part thanks to the people here on this forum which just goes to show you that the whole "Are China bikes hard to get parts for?" question has been answered with a resounding no! Thanks to connectivity and good people.

If I had paid the full $3159.00 that this bike ostensibly sells for I would be choked. But I paid $1699 plus PDI of about $200 for the lads to put it together which is inexpensive. I would bet that if the dealer could easily get parts for a reasonable cost and it were possible for him to trade in the Konker bikes at a reasonable price and do business properly he would, but he doesn't have that option. At any rate we worked out a solution.

I just wish I was out on the road instead of typing, but all in good time.

8)

Old 05-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #32

Sounds like you have the solutions down packed and ready to move forward. I'm glad your dealer has at the very least agreed to install this for you. Keep us posted when your riding again.
2009 Qlink XF200 Supermoto
1982 Honda CM200 Bobber - SOLD
2003 JEEP Liberty SPORT = 3" Lift
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - Family Cruiser

Old 05-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCAndrew
Sounds like you have the solutions down packed and ready to move forward. I'm glad your dealer has at the very least agreed to install this for you. Keep us posted when your riding again.
I might want to take a pass on that dealer touching my bike after seeing what happened.
My experience with dealers is very poor.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #34

Agreed. It's possible that the problem originated at the dealer level.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Agreed. It's possible that the problem originated at the dealer level.
I think it's probable the damage occurred at the dealership. If the damage did not occur at the dealership, doesn't this dealer at least inspect his motor vehicles for safety before he sells them to customers, and lets them ride them on the public highways? :roll:

I'm very glad you acquired a left front fork, McKonker; we are happy we were able to help you! However, I would not let this dealer do the installation for me. If he damages the fork again, or damages another part of your motorcycle, will he tell you to purchase additional parts from the United States? If you believe it is not worthwhile to pursue financial justice, even in small claims court, I respect your decision. However, I would walk away from this vendor, and never return to him. When he sold you this new motorcycle, with a damaged front fork, I believe he recklessly endangered you health, and your very life. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #36

Q's ship with the front wheel off so it either broke when the dealer installed the wheel OR if if was broken when the dealer received the bike and he assembled and sold it anyway he was especially negligent.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Q's ship with the front wheel off so it either broke when the dealer installed the wheel OR if if was broken when the dealer received the bike and he assembled and sold it anyway he was especially negligent.
Indeed; I believe all motorcycles ship in the crate with the front wheel off. Installing the front wheel is a simple procedure, and shipping the motorcycle without the front wheel installed greatly decreases the size of the shipping crate. I find it impossible to believe this dealer neither caused the damage, nor knew about it. :roll: I believe this vendor is manifestly, criminally negligent, and he would easily lose any legal action taken against him, especially in small claims court. In my opinion, the dealer should pay for the front fork, and issue an apology for recklessly endangering a customer's life. :roll:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #38

Agreed. It is however (theoretically) possible he overtightened it and it did not break until after the bike left the shop. ALTHOUGH looking at the pic it looks impossible he did not break it.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Agreed. It is however (theoretically) possible he overtightened it and it did not break until after the bike left the shop. ALTHOUGH looking at the pic it looks impossible he did not break it.
I'm sure you'll agree, it doesn't make any difference if the fork cracked after it left the shop, Doc. Either the dealer overtightened the bolt, and/or the fork was defective. In either instance, the dealer is legally, and morally obligated to remedy this serious safety hazard on a brand new motor vehicle. We are more vulnerable traveling on two wheels upon a motorcycle than we are riding inside an automotive cage on four wheels. I wouldn't send my worst enemy riding on a motorcycle with a cracked fork! 8O It is morally reprehensible for the dealer not to pay for this serious safety defect on a brand new motor vehicle. :evil: I think the dealer is very lucky the buyer was neither seriously injured, or killed, while riding this bike on the public highways. :(

Spud :roll:

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #40

Yes, but the problem lies in the fact of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. How is the dealer to know that you didn't get the bike home and torque down the bolt yourself? If you signed a delivery inspection sheet or something, then it is on you. Unless you have documentation of the broken fork at the dealer, before you took possession, I don't think you would make it very far in court.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmcd
Yes, but the problem lies in the fact of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. How is the dealer to know that you didn't get the bike home and torque down the bolt yourself? If you signed a delivery inspection sheet or something, then it is on you. Unless you have documentation of the broken fork at the dealer, before you took possession, I don't think you would make it very far in court.
Yes, the case revolves around reasonable doubt. However, I disagree that one would not get very far in court. Judges deal with disreputable people all the time, and they become very good "judges of character" (pun intended). It does not require the wisdom of Judge Wapner, let alone King Solomon, to determine who is lying in a case such as this. Very few plaintiffs have the audacity, let alone the sociopathic ability, to lie in such a manner before a judge, in a court of law. Judges know this, interrogate the witnesses accordingly, and almost invariably dispense justice in small claims court. In any event, what does one have to lose trying to achieve justice? If you don't try, you have lost already. :(

However, this issue should never come to court. Any reputable dealer would make the matter right, without threat of legal prosecution. Whatever the outcome, I would never let this dealer touch another motorcycle of mine. :roll:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #42

Ultimately the point is moot because of the simple fact that there is nowhere to legally get the part in a reasonable timeframe for a reasonable price. Even if he wanted to he can't fix the bike, because he can't get the part. The simple solution is that I get the part and he does the fix. No litigation necessary. Its all good.

Someone should step in and scoop up the license to sell the ksm200 and keep the ball rolling. Maybe one of the other distributors of Chinabikes in Canada could get the license because there is definitely a demand. These bikes are filling a niche, there are people who don't have $5000 - $8000 to drop on a hobby (like me), or want to try motorcycling to decide if they love it or not.

Or maybe Konker will come back to life...if they are indeed dead...I just know that until I hear definitively one way or the other I am not going to put a $750 part on my credit card!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #43

It would be nice if someone else would take over the Konker license. I truly believe they are defunct as I haven't received any reply from Allan or Michelle. The only catch is, the KSM was only one of a bunch of different bikes Konker carried, and the only street legal one at that. They sold all kinds of pit bikes and even ATV's. Though from what I saw, the KSM200 was their best and most reliable model. They had a 250cc liquid cooled dirt bike that my dealer told me was a total piece of junk... He is a skilled motorcycle mechanic and he said he couldn't chase the bugs out of it good enough to sell it so he was stuck with it. A lot of their pit bikes were very similar to the smaller GIO's but at double or triple GIO's prices. Definitely need some sort of reliable parts network for these machines so that the owners can repair them when needed. Still sad that they folded though, I talked to Allan on the phone a few times and he was a young fellow but seemed very passionate about the marque. I wonder what actually happened?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:59 AM   #44

Who knows, but the hard work has been done. Since it already has TC approval, somebody else could step in and sell street legal China bikes in Canada.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
They had a 250cc liquid cooled dirt bike that my dealer told me was a total piece of junk... He is a skilled motorcycle mechanic and he said he couldn't chase the bugs out of it good enough to sell it so he was stuck with it.
I hope this isn't the same bike as the new water-cool Q Link 250 we're all waiting to see! 8O

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350