Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #1

Rim Question

So on my lifan I have a 21" front wheel with a couple of "curb kisses" on it. Not to huge of a deal, but it would be nice to get a replacement. The question before the house is: The rim size is 1.4 X 21 - I know the 21 = the inches of the rim, but what on earth does the 1.4 mean?

Daddy 8)

Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #2

Only guessing, but the Asian community's unfamiliarity with the SAE system would imply that 1.4 means 1.4", as measured by a caliper. Just a hair over 1 3/8".

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #3

1.4" wide I believe. Measured on the inside of the wheel.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #4

I'll get out the measuring thingy when I get home to confirm. I wonder if a 1.6 rim would be OK : /

Daddy 8)

Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy469
I'll get out the measuring thingy when I get home to confirm. I wonder if a 1.6 rim would be OK : /

Daddy 8)
I think it will be fine. About 1/4 inch wider.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #6

I'm not certain where to measure the width, but moving the ruler around I could 'kinda' see how it 'might' be 1.4". I can also see a 1.6" fitting just fine as there is plenty of clearance on the sides. So that being said, my hub is in great shape, and none of my spokes are bent, so what are the odds of an off the shelf Warp 9 being able to be laced in and good to go? there doesn't seem to be any special variation on the spokes, they look like OTS Honda. Anyone have suggestions?

Daddy 8)

Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #7

Ahhh, that would be a good question for Spud, he's our resident relacing guru

Old 06-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #8

im running a prowheel up front and a warp 9 in the back. no worries upping the width i bumped my rear up to 2.5" i think. just make sure the rim you get has the right number of spoke holes. and if your not familiar with lacing take lots of pictures of the wheel before you start.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #9

Check YouTube as well. I found this vid, and it makes the process look easy enough:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy469
I'm not certain where to measure the width, but moving the ruler around I could 'kinda' see how it 'might' be 1.4". I can also see a 1.6" fitting just fine as there is plenty of clearance on the sides. So that being said, my hub is in great shape, and none of my spokes are bent, so what are the odds of an off the shelf Warp 9 being able to be laced in and good to go? there doesn't seem to be any special variation on the spokes, they look like OTS Honda. Anyone have suggestions?

Daddy 8)
The 1.4-inch and 1.6-inch measurements are taken inside the rim, and measure the distance across the dish of the rim to the inside edges of the rim shoulders. For a 200cc motorcycle, the 1.6 x 21 rim is standard, and the 1.4 x 21 rim is a little on the small side. I recommend you get a standard, 1.6 x 21 rim; it will fit easily inside your forks.

A 1.6 x 21, Warp 9 rim is an excellent choice for your front wheel. Just make sure the spoke nipples are a fairly good match for the rim. If the Chinese spoke nipples are too small in diameter, you can order larger spoke nipples from Buchanan's Spoke & Rim. However, I think your Chinese spoke nipples will probably work well with the Warp 9 rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Alaskan
...just make sure the rim you get has the right number of spoke holes. and if your not familiar with lacing take lots of pictures of the wheel before you start.
Indeed, you need to make sure you get a rim with the correct number of spoke holes. Lacing the wheel is frequently more difficult than truing the wheel, so I also encourage you to take several photographs of your current wheel, and study the lacing pattern well before you take the wheel apart.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Check YouTube as well. I found this vid, and it makes the process look easy enough:
Different hubs require different techniques for lacing the wheel. After lacing a number of wheels, you develop an intuition for the best way to proceed, given the shape of the spokes, et cetera. Weldangrind found a superb video demonstrating the proper technique for lacing an old Honda/Chinese wheel!

P.S. If you decide you don't want to lace and true your wheel, I have a brand new, Lifan front wheel for sale, including the brake rotor. Please send me a personal message if you are possibly interested in buying it.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #12

I laced one set of bicycle wheels. Took me all day.