Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 AM   #1

Trail Tech dualsport Headlight?

I am looking at getting a new headlight. I ride my bike to work and I work night shift. The factory one just isnt cutting it. It is kind of a safety hazard.

I am just wanting some opinions on this light. It is a Trail Tech X2 Halogen dual sport headlight. Here is the link .
http://trailtech.net/light_comparison.html

On the web site it compares Baja Designs, UFO,Polisport, Acerbis and all of the main companys that make headlights on their comparisonn test The link will explain more.

I am converting all of my other lights to led as soon as i take them apart and see what type of bulb they are and order some led ones for the others.. My other question is.....Will that light fit on my motorcycle with little or no modification other than wiring the light? I have a 2008 Wildfire 200 Dual sport. also Will my stator keep up with a 70W High beam provided I convert all of my other lights to led.

I drive 60 miles and an hour ten mins. one way to work mostly all single lane road to work and it would be greatly appriciated to see obstacles ahead or deer.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #2

Dang, you have a 60 mile one way ride through those mountians at night on a DS? That's like an extra two hours of work every day.

I understand why you do it though, the gas milage is worth it.

I have read that the halogens get hotter and can melt things if not installed correctly,, the gurus will be along to give you all the advice you need shortly.

This forum is awesome. I wish I had found it sooner.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #3

Yes I am glad too I found this forum. I would have allready have sold my Wildfire for a Japanese brand if it wasnt for the guys on here helping me modify it to suit my needs.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:54 AM   #4

Re: Trail Tech dualsport Headlight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatja
I am looking at getting a new headlight. I ride my bike to work and I work night shift. The factory one just isnt cutting it. It is kind of a safety hazard.

I am just wanting some opinions on this light. It is a Trail Tech X2 Halogen dual sport headlight. Here is the link .
http://trailtech.net/light_comparison.html...
The Trail Tech X2 Halogen is a good headlight. However, it doesn't leave much space behind the headlight for your instruments, wiring, et cetera. I mounted a Baja Designs Halogen headlight on my Honda XR650L, and it casts a very good light.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-HDLITS/HEADLIGHTS

This Baja Designs headlight uses a standard, 55W/60W, H4 bulb, and leaves a lot of room behind the light.
Quote:
...I am converting all of my other lights to led as soon as i take them apart and see what type of bulb they are and order some led ones for the others.. My other question is.....Will that light fit on my motorcycle with little or no modification other than wiring the light? I have a 2008 Wildfire 200 Dual sport. also Will my stator keep up with a 70W High beam provided I convert all of my other lights to led...
I can't say for certain if your stator will support a 70W load; I am unfamilar with the Wildfire electrical system. However, I am inclined to believe you will be OK if you convert all other lights to LEDs. I am even more confident you can support the 60W load from a standard, H4 bulb.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-30-2011, 02:59 AM   #5

Well I like the Baja designs one, but they dont come in yellow and my bike is yellow any suggestions on that?

I was worried abouit the trail tech one not allowing me enough room for my speedometer.....

Old 06-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Well I like the Baja designs one, but they dont come in yellow and my bike is yellow any suggestions on that?

I was worried abouit the trail tech one not allowing me enough room for my speedometer.....
I think you have a valid concern regarding the Trail Tech headlight. I was surprised to discover the Baja Designs headlight isn't available in yellow! 8O Will either a white, or a black headlight look good with the rest of your motorcycle? If you have time, please post photos of your bike. We love photos, and seeing your bike might help us recommend a good headlight for it.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-30-2011, 04:15 AM   #7

That sounds good I will try to find the camera when I get home from work... I appricate the help.

Also does the baja designs headlight come with a pig tail, so it isnt so hard to wire up?

Old 06-30-2011, 04:49 AM   #8

Quote:
That sounds good I will try to find the camera when I get home from work... I appricate the help.

Also does the baja designs headlight come with a pig tail, so it isnt so hard to wire up?
You're welcome.

Yes, my Baja Designs headlight included a 3-prong, H4 socket you could connect to your bike's wiring system. These inexpensive, H4 sockets are also commonly available at any auto parts store.

Incidentally, not all headlights are created equal. You can find many headlights on eBay which are less expensive than the Baja Designs headlight. However, the Baja Designs headlight is well engineered, and illuminates the road ahead very well. I am very pleased with the construction, and the performance of my Baja Designs, halogen headlight.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 AM   #9

I think it looks good on your honda. I am also looking for quality I think I am going to order one tomorrow...I just have to find out what all of my other bulbs are so I can order LED replacements for them.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #10

Another option might be an HID conversion. They require less power and put off more light. I got a set for my car. They are fairly cheap. The only downside is that you have to install and mount a ballast somewhere on your bike.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...rcycle-HID-Kit

Old 06-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmcd
Another option might be an HID conversion. They require less power and put off more light. I got a set for my car. They are fairly cheap. The only downside is that you have to install and mount a ballast somewhere on your bike.

Think this would work on an XF200's stock headlight assembly? That's a really good price. If so which bulb/setup would you recommend?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
I think it looks good on your honda. I am also looking for quality I think I am going to order one tomorrow...I just have to find out what all of my other bulbs are so I can order LED replacements for them.
SuperBright LEDs is a good place to find a wide variety of LED bulbs at good prices. You can also buy an LED turn signal flasher from that vendor. I bought all the LEDs, and the turn signal flasher for my Zong from this vendor.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...sp=%2F1157.htm

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #13

Quote:

I have considered an HID conversion for my motorcycles, but I have decided to keep using my H4 headlight bulbs because of the following concerns.

1) HID headlights are not legal for motorcycles in many, if not most states. I don't want to get a traffic ticket.
2) Motorcycle HID conversions frequently blind oncoming motorists, because the headlight reflector in the converted headlight is not designed for HID bulbs. I believe most automotive HID lights employ a projector lens, not a reflector. The projector lens is designed for HID bulbs, and projects a tighter beam which does not blind oncoming motorists. Therefore, some motorcycle riders are building their own headlight housings, and employing automotive projector lens. I might be wrong, but I don't believe any of the commercially available HID headlights are DOT approved; they are all marketed as off road lights, only. :(

One of the main reasons I decide to buy the Baja Designs Halogen headlight is its excellent reflector, and good adjustability. I believe the Baja Designs Diablo, HID headlight employs the very same reflector used in my Baja Designs, Halogen headlight.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-16...HID+RACELIGHTS

I decided I don't want to mess around with a projector lens conversion. Therefore, if I decide to go ahead with an HID headlight conversion in the future, I am hoping my Baja Designs reflector casts a tighter, more focused beam than most other motorcycle headlights. Someone also markets an HID conversion kit specifically designed for the Baja Designs Halogen headlight, but it is very expensive. :(

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 06-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #14

It is very true that HID are designed for projector lenses, and they are very bright in reflector housings. People do it all the time, but not ideal. You can tell when you see a car coming at you that has HID in reflector housings. I was at one time considering a projector swap for my SV, but since I rarely ride at night figured it wasn't worth the hassle. I do have projectors in my car, so putting in the HID bulbs was really simple.

I don't know about legal issues. If I lived in a rural area without much traffic and traveled at night often, I would probably go with HID in the reflector housing. Acerbis makes a couple models with projector lenses that could easily take an HID, such as the Vision (Not DOT approved) and Cyclops (DOT approved, but really ugly).

Old 07-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #15

Quote:

Dude, i don´t know why, but i can get a single HI/LO H4 9007 HID locally for
25 bucks, i bought a Honda something headlight fairing (glass lightpiece) at a local junkyard for 10 bucks, but i have to make it fit, i´ll work on it and post some pics... :wink: