Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #16

I took the bike riding in Mclean Creek yesterday and the onroad tires are pretty sketchy in mud and on rocks, I imagine knobbies would be a big improvement!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #17

Oh yeah, the knobbies are a huge improvement off road . I was even riding my Konker in the snow in February with the off road wheels, didn't go too bad. When I sold the bike to my brother in law I had the street tires on it (I liked it better with the supermoto tires as I was on the street mostly), and his one stipulation with the sale was that I had to put the enduro tires on

Old 07-25-2011, 02:01 AM   #18

Do you have the supermoto bike with 17-inch wheels, or the dual sport bike with 18-inch, and 21-inch wheels?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #19

Have you tried Royal Distributing. They have lots of parts and tires that fit the chinamotos. Very good prices.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 07-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #20

I have the 17s now, just the street or supermoto tires.

I ordered a 21/18 inch offroad setup, the original one that was an option for the Konker bikes.

What will this do to the onroad capabilities? Will my top end speed go down and do you think handling will be an issue on ashphalt? Speedo I imagine will be out of whack also after this swap

Old 07-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by granter

I ordered a 21/18 inch offroad setup, the original one that was an option for the Konker bikes.

What will this do to the onroad capabilities? Will my top end speed go down and do you think handling will be an issue on ashphalt? Speedo I imagine will be out of whack also after this swap
Your off road capabilities will greatly increase with the 18"/21" wheels, Granter. The 21-inch front wheel will climb over rocks, and traverse ruts much better than a smaller front wheel. In addition, the 18"/21" wheels will afford you a much better selection of off road tires with aggressive tread patterns.

Check the accuracy of the speedometer with your current, 17-inch, front wheel. If the speedometer is currently "optimistic," the 21-inch, front wheel will make the speedometer more accurate. If you speedometer is currently accurate, the larger front wheel will make your speedometer "pessimistic."

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #22

I had the exact same bike with the off road tire kit as well, the speedo was out quite a bit with the supermoto tires, but was a little closer with the enduro tires on. Handling on the street was fine with the enduro tires though I took the corners a little gentler. My big question is where did you find the enduro kit to order?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #23

I ended up purchasing the wheels from a gentleman on this forum, I don't know if you can still buy them anywhere, I tried a few shops but noone seemed to have any in stock and it seems Konker is out of business now

Old 07-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #24

Quote:
I ended up purchasing the wheels from a gentleman on this forum, I don't know if you can still buy them anywhere, I tried a few shops but noone seemed to have any in stock and it seems Konker is out of business now
Ahh, cool I was wondering where the heck you would find a set. They are much better off road than the street tires and they are fine on road as well. I preferred the street tires when I was just on the pavement though. You probably know this already, but be careful to line up the tangs for the speedo correctly when you install the speedo drive on the dirt wheels. I think I destroyed my speedo drive the first time I put the dirt wheels on... A replacement was like $60 not counting shipping from Konker when they were still in business.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #25

Quote:

I just realized I didn't answer the question you asked, Granter! :roll: The 21-inch, front wheel will turn quicker on the street than the 17-inch, front wheel. Because of the quicker steering, you might notice the bike is affected more by strong winds.

If you choose off road tires with a very aggressive tread pattern, the ride will be a little more bumpy than before. Also, the rear wheel is more prone to lock up with hard braking if you have a very aggressive tread on the rear tire.

The 18-inch rear tire will have a larger diameter than the 17-inch rear tire; therefore, your gearing will get higher. With higher gearing you bike will run at lower RPMs for any given speed, and you top speed might increase a little. However, if the gearing gets too high, and the engine lugs, you might need to reduce the size of your countershaft sprocket, or increase the size of your rear sprocket to lower the gearing.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220