Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #31

nah, youve forgotten already, Brown Ale!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #32

Sorry, confused this thread with another. Probably a latent brown ale effect.

Nevertheless, you should be able to find an o-ring kit at a local tool shop that will meet your needs.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2011, 05:26 AM   #33

Im removing bth of the now, the manifold and carb O ring. Ill go out and he a look about but im gonna use some instant gaket and leave it to set wile im out. If i do find the right size, then ill just pick it out. If not, im goodto go when i get back.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #34

Yous were right about one thing, there is an air leak, but its not the gaskets, its the manifold itself. Just now checking the instant gasket, ive noticed a big crack along on side next to the engine flange. Im trying to source a new one now.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #35

Can you see the crack? just under the brown mud. Ive ordered a new one, should be here tomorow. I believe its ailed due to all the vibration. Is there anything that will help prevent this?

Heres the tip of my craft knife showing the rubber has come away from the aluminium.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #36

Are you using an open element air filter, like a Uni or K&N? If so, the carb has no support on the filter side, so all of the stress is transferred to the intake tube.

In any case, you could fabricate a simple bracket that will support the carb where the intake tube meets the carb. Just start with some flat strap steel that is just wide enough to accomodate the mounting screw diameter (I'm guessing about 1/2"). Drill a hole for the screw and then sort out where the other end of the strap can be fastened above; perhaps there is a spot under the tank.

There is a product called All Round that might be strong enough, but it isn't rigid. The benefit to All Round is that it will help you mock up your design, which you can then transfer to flat strap and start bending.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #37

actually, im still using the original intake tube from the original air box. I decided to leave that standard. its coming upto winter and i dont know what riding will be like. ive had jets in a carb freeze up on me before so didnt want to risk it

Old 11-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #38

I'm glad you have it diagnosed and a repair is soon to come. Like I said air leaks are common, especially on these bikes.

If you didn't fix it you could have damaged the engine due to a lean running condition.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #39

Agreed. Damage will also result from the introduction of unfiltered air. Good bit of sleuthing, kevshek.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #40

Well it was down to you guys really, I visually inspected it by would not have found it if you didn't insist on me fiddling with the O rings. Give yourselves a pat on the back and have a pint on me!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #41

Oh man, 4:30 can't get here quickly enough!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #42

Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #43

kevshek, I can't help but think that the same result will occur with the new intake tube, unless you improve upon the design (with apologies to Einstein ). Perhaps some sort of brace is a good idea.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:55 AM   #44

Yeah i will look into that upon re-installation. Ive also got a feeling the intake tube maybe applying some added unwanted pressure onto the carb. The intake tube from the airbox has a slight bend in it. Depending on its rotation, its either pushing the carb to the left/right/up/down or the correct way, if you get my meaning. I need to figure out which direction its most natural in. Bear in mind, ive now got the PX30 fitted, which is slight (everso) longer (ie takes up a touch more space.

Anyways, in prep for the new inlet manifold arriving, ive decided to make a couple of O rings out of paper gasket.

Rather than trying to force 2 rubber ones into the same amount of space, im going to line the recess with the paper ones, which will mean the rubber O ring can still sit in some part of the recess, holding still while i bolt it on.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #45

That's a brilliant idea! Did you cut them out with your craft knife? If so, you have a steady hand.