Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaise
yesi understand... one problem the bike currently is missing one brake drum i am trying to get it to run smoothly before i get into the braking/suspension i tried applying the back breaks and still got nothing, im thinking the connector that plugs into the ignition connector is toast the ground wire was soldered into the connector itself... started bike again today by connecting the two silenoid prongs together it now runs without the choke being applied to it but its only good for about 1/8 throttle then it start bogging.. again replacing the carb and such.. should i try finding a new connector, they have the wiring harness pretty beat up but im going to repair it wire for wire.. any suggestions?

--this site amazes me how much you know about these bikes lol great help!!!
Happy to help.

If you have a decent electronics store locally, you could buy Molex connectors and a molex extraction tool. That would allow you to customize your repairs and use a two-prong connector when you have two wires, and so on. That's what I do. Molex is an excellent quality connector.

The factory carb on the '07 is a PZ27, which is a poor copy of a Keihin. A 30mm Mikuni is a major improvement, but it will require new jets to optimize it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #17

^^ What size jets come in the 30mm mikuni?

And $64 for a new battery is why I converted mine to a larger, lawn tractor sized battery. They are 20 bucks new and can crank for hours on this motor.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #18

They come with a 100 and a 20, but I find both of those to be too small. I use a 110 and a 25, but that's wih a pod filter and a free-breathing muffler. I might even try a 30 slow jet to see if it warms up faster in cooler weather.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #19

Did you order the one from hong kong? How long was shipping to canada?

Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #20

Yes I ordered it from Hong Kong, and I think the shipping took around two weeks. I'm about to order another one, along with this filter: 42mm Air Filter Cleaner 250cc ATV Quad Dirt Pit Bike It's hard to beat $7.00 including shipping, and it's a good quality filter.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #21

souns great im buying a carb this weekend for 50$ .. molex i will look out for im almost positive that is why the ignition is acting up on me... also my buddy is buying the same bike... with a stock carb.. will his run the same way ? or is it possible it will be okay?.. i might order an extra carb to be safe..and i was looking at those lawn tractor batteries, that actually sounds great can you post a picture of your battery casing possibly?

Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #22

Bottom line, a stock carb on an early Beast runs like poo. The 30mm Mikuni is a cheap and easy fix.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #23

Is your quad a beast? Or a limited beast? Mine is a limited, and thats why I was able to make a battery bracket for it that was larger. On the limited the battery hangs BEHIND the rear shock, where as the 09 and earlier beasts, the battery goes in front of the rear shock. Therefore there would be no room to increase the size.

If you have the rack on, you can probably make up a battery box, but it might look goofy lol.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #24

Mine is a regular 2007 Beast. The stock battery box is fine for my needs, since I've installed the angled pod filter.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #25

Those small batteries are not meant to least. They are similar to a motorcycle battery (a bit smaller actually), and the longest I have seen a moto battery last is 2 years.

When I looked into replacing the stock battery is was between 65-80 for a new one. Then I saw an ad for the larger one, and it was on sale for 15. It has ALOT more cranking power.

A big starting problem I noticed with my gfs 09 beast, was that the battery had enough juice to crank the motor over, but not enough voltage to run the ignition system, aka no spark. The ignition system needs 12 volts to spark, and it wasn't getting it.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #26

Where is the best place to buy a 30 mm mikuni in Canada ?

Old 03-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #27

I just ordered it off ebay.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens
Where is the best place to buy a 30 mm mikuni in Canada ?
I ordered mine from eBay as well, along with the filter.

Carburetor Carb ATV Dirt Bike Quad Honda MIKUNI 30mm

42mm Air Filter Cleaner 250cc ATV Quad Dirt Pit Bike

Old 03-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #29

Weld

is that a real mikuni that you got or was it a copy PZ30 china carb for that price that you received?? Pics show what looks like a mikuni but you never know with ebay

Old 03-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #30

A PZ30 is a Keihin copy, whereas the carbs I bought were either Mikunis or very good copies. I've purchased several of the Mikunis, and I'm very happy with them.