Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #1

chinese atv quality

Ok ,guys if you don't know already ,i have a zongshen sierra motorcycle and I gotta tell you the quality is on par with the japanese stuff.my question is are there any chinese atvs that are like the zong or the qlink in quality ,,from what i've been reading there is not, without spending the kind of money I could get a used japanese quad for.I have had several of the small chinese atv's for kids and they pretty much were crap and required constant care and repair,,,any input appreciated.Thanks fish

Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #2

The chinese ATVs are all over the map, but most of the bad quality stuff isn't being made anymore - there were about 400 factories making various quality ATVs at one point, now it is down to under 100.

Some of the ATVs are still poor quality, but most are good. Some factories make clones of the older japanese atvs right down to the nuts and bolts - making for reliable atvs that are easy to find parts for.

There are also brands like Linhai that are chinese, but 40% owned by japanese companies and make very good stuff for many thousands less than a new brand name, or on par with a used brand ATV. I can't remember the name but there is a factory that makes great Suzuki ATV clones - they go under a couple brand names here. There is also a Suzuki part owned factory that makes great ATVs and Bikes for pretty cheap.

For kids ATVs, I had a Tao that was very impressive , no problems, lots of power - though I wouldn't get another Tao myself.

my 2c. jb

Old 09-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #3

the Shineray stuff is becoming very well known world wide and they now have dirt bike and ATV race teams. They are in it for the long haul and starting to develop some pretty nice stuff.
Still avoid their very low end small bore stuff but the larger bore stuff is getting pretty nice.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #4

Hi Fish! I can't speak for the other brands of ATV's, but after having a Konker motorcycle (same as Q Link) and a GIO Beast ATV I can honestly say that the GIO ATV doesn't even come close to the build quality of the Konker (Q Link). The motors on both machines seem excellent but the build quality of the Konker is miles ahead of my GIO Beast (2009 model). Given the opportunity to do it again I think I would have put my ATV dollars towards a used Japanese machine. Just my 2 cents

Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #5

Yea I wouldn't buy a tao/ gio or some other low Q chinese atv again at new prices. OK I lie, the Gio beast limited I've been happy with, but even then I wouldn't buy it new again. That's just me though.

I think a lot of people here buy them super cheap used - often fixing some minor problem then having a fine toy for a couple hundred bucks.

For me, I'm doing a cool deal with Linhai and will be getting a bunch of ATVs and other machines and reviewing them - more details to come. From what I've read, they are good machines - coming from a great factory, long history, and Yamaha investment.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #6

I am looking for a utility ATV 400cc+ for fun and for working around the property hauling wood, brush hog etc. Any recommendations as far as brand, I would prefer used. Thanks

Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #7

Bassmanmike, check out your post in the Introduce Yourself section. I responded to you there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer