Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #1

GIO 49cc 2 stroke dirtbike - NO start after 2 great runs!

I got one of the little 49cc 2 stroke dirtbikes off the GIO site for my son.
Did the assembly OK, and my little guy ran it twice for a about 1.5hr each run. Rode very well and had zero problems.
After it was parked after the second run (in garage), I tried to start it the next day for more fun. It kicked once but quit. Not a big deal. Pulled again and there seemed to be a free spinning sound like the flywheel or something was in free spin without the engine firing/running. Tried again and again to get it going. The free spin happened one more time after that. After many attempts to start it, it fired briefly once.
The gas I was running was a slightly rich mixture I use in my chainsaw.

What I have tried so far:
-checked the fuel valve -- it's open.
-fuel flows into the carb --- check
-cleaned the carb -- it's clean
-checked the plug -- I see a spark, and I cleaned it.
-changed the spark plug -- I see spark
-checked flywheel -- It is on securely. I did not remove it.
-coil is secure and seems to be in position ok.
-There was a bit of oil dripping out the exhaust from the rich fuel mix.
-Changed gas to leaner ratio of 40:1

Bike does not fire up at all. Not even a pop.
My guess is the timing is off or I need another spark plug. I have read about a rocket key of some kind in the fly wheel which may break and mess up timing. I have not seen this part, likely because if its on the bike, it would be behind the flywheel...right?
Any suggestions??? My arm is getting sore from pulling that cord!

Oh, I replaced the recoil cord/rope and removed all the little burrs causing it to wear and fray withing the recoil.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 04-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Correct mixture, a correctly timed spark, and compression. If you have all these it must run. You need to find out which one you're missing.

Quick question. Any warantee? Maybe this is someone else's problem.... :wink:

Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #3

Fastdoc...thanks for the input. I am pretty sure I have fuel, hefty compression, and spark. I can't confirm timing. I think I will get another plug and try it once again. I will also remove the flywheel and examine behind it. I will post pics. This is really my first two stroke engine on a toy, besides my weed whacker (I never use) and my 9.8merc on the 12 ft John boat.

By the way, if you where to get your dream private plane, which would it be?
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #4

By the way, if you where to get your dream private plane, which would it be?

Tough to answer. It depends on so many factors. :wink:

A Cessna Caravan on amphibious floats would be awesome.

More realistically a Turbo 182RG is a great do-it all airplane.

Maule makes a plane with a 420 HP Allison turbine. One of those on amphibs would be nice. 8)

A Piper Malibu, Mirage, or Meridian would work.

I could live with a Cirrus SR-22.

DC-3's are cool.

I like Piper Cubs. :wink:

Beech Staggerwing for grass strips on the weekends perhaps?

Warbird? Anything from WW II would be the cat's ass... :P

Interesting.

Looking at my list no jets.

I guess the answer to your question would be a Caravan on amphibs.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #5

I would try a new plug and also use 50 to 1 gas.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #6

X2, with synthetic oil. I like the Lucas brand.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #7

Thinking the plug is fouled or shorted and does not spark after it is placed back into the engine. The rich fuel/cheap plug combination may be the issue.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #8

Turns out it's the rocket key. It disintegrated and deformed the shaft and flywheel mount points. I think the flywheel bolt must have been slightly loose prior to delivery.

I have asked GIO to review as a warranty issue. Will post results.

SO, a note to any buyers of these fun little bikes...check the flywheel bolt tightness.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #9

If they choose to not honour warranty, perhaps you could dress the crankshaft with a fine flat file, pop a new woodruff key in and a new flywheel on. Some red Loctite might hold it together just fine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #10

Well it looks like the best GIO is willing to do is make me buy another engine for $50.
I think the shaft is too out of whack to fool with. So long $50 bucks......

Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #11

That sucks because you have to install it also. :?

How much of a break are they giving you on the engine?

It also sucks because htis is the simple sort of quality control stuff the Chinese let slip by that ruins their reputation and sale-ability.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #12

Ya, I do have to do the install. It wasn't that that put me off though. I run two companies...if I had sold faulty product, my customer gets a profuse apology and a replacement at my cost at light speed. I don't hide behind a self interested return and replacement policy.
$50 is half the cost of the engines "LIST" price apparently. I will be taking the new engine apart to recheck the quality control checks that were suppose to be in place in China.
The lack of accountability is want really irks me with the Chinese products. Short term economics. It's the low prices and my ability to innovate, fix and repair on my own that keeps me coming back for more. Since I just landed a ridiculously huge global deal in one of my companies, I think I may have finally seen the last of the budget toys I've barely been able to afford.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #13

Congratulations on the new deal! :P

Even if you can afford good stuff that doesn't need fixing a smart mechanical guy NEEDS to fix stuff so a Chinabike ALWAYS has a place with us! 8)

Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #14

Agreed!

Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainsquishy
Since I just landed a ridiculously huge global deal in one of my companies, I think I may have finally seen the last of the budget toys I've barely been able to afford.
Awesome! Congratulations.

I'd still buy a new flywheel on eBay (since they're so cheap) and see if the motor can be made to run again. If it does, the new motor can be a spare on the shelf.