Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #1

2 up on the almighty Konker!

My son asked me to take him for a spin on the Konker yesterday, he absolutely loved it and we rode around town for an hour or so! I think he finds the Konker a little less intimidating than the KLR and maybe the narrower seat is more comfortable when your 11 . Mebbe make a biker out of him yet!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #2

Hey MICRider,
How did your bike do with your little guy on the back? I still haven't got to see the new Pitster XTR 200 yet. I am still trying to get an idea of what this bikes like. How has your Konker lasted? Is it starting to rust, Plastic Fading? I know you have had it for some time and sold it once... How is the motor holding up?
Sorry for all the questions

"My riding may suck, but my wrecks are epic"

Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallworth
Hey MICRider,
How did your bike do with your little guy on the back? I still haven't got to see the new Pitster XTR 200 yet. I am still trying to get an idea of what this bikes like. How has your Konker lasted? Is it starting to rust, Plastic Fading? I know you have had it for some time and sold it once... How is the motor holding up?
Sorry for all the questions
Actually I was surprised how well it did with the two of us, I weigh about 200 and my son probably weighs about 75 or 80 pounds. It was just around town and alleys and such but it pulled us with no trouble. I've just recently bought it back and my brother in law didn't put any miles on it so it's just at 500 km's now. Might actually have a couple of hundred more but my speedo was pooched for a couple of weeks. It's also always been indoors so rust or fading hasn't occurred yet.

It pretty much purrs like a kitten and is one of the best starting bikes I've ever had... Give it some choke (enricher actually) and hit the starter button and it fires right up. Little bit of valvetrain noise, I actually think it's the cam chain whirring around but my KLR doesn't make the same noise.

I love it, it's a blast! I can do things on the Konker that I would never dream of doing on my much heavier KLR. Not good for highway duty though, pretty much at redline to do 100 kmh and it's very light so it gets blown around by other vehicles. The only failures I have heard of on the engines related to people doing highway commutes at redline for extended periods. Check Youtube for reviews and videos on the Q Link XP200 and Q Link XF200 as they are the same bike . I don't think PP has the XTR yet, they are still waiting for the shipment to come in. Good little bikes, very well built and practical! Slapping an Actionpacker on it sometime in the next week or two, I'll post some pics!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #4

Do you already have a rear rack on it? How are you planing on mounting it? U-bolts to the rear rack?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallworth
Do you already have a rear rack on it? How are you planing on mounting it? U-bolts to the rear rack?
Yup, I stuck one on it just after I bought it. Hard to find the racks now though, the fellow I bought mine from was importing them from China himself. I'll probably use some hook type mounts or bolts going through to a couple of flatbars underneath. Here's a pic of the bike with the rack and another with the JC Whitney topcase before I stuck it on my KLR

The trunk was handy but they are too pricey to ship into Canada now so I'm just going for the Actionpacker. This way I can use it to run uptown and get a few groceries or pick up the mail, very handy!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I have both sets of wheels for it. Kind of cool to be able to switch it around 8)

Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #6

You have both sets of Tires.........
That would be sooo sweet. Have you had it out in the sand around you place? and if so how did she do?

Old 04-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #7

Not sure on the sand yet, but it's got to be better than my KLR on the soft stuff! It has Kenda K270 dual sport tires on it right now and I've already found out that they're not that good in mud. Fine on the harder stuff though. I plan on trying it out in the sand soon, there's a geocache in the Redwater natural area (I think it's called that?) that you need an ATV or a dirt bike to log... Lol, wanna see if I can get it . I've been working crazy hours pretty much since I got it back though so I haven't had too much opportunity yet... Soon hopefully!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #8

I glad you got to ride with your son, Stew. As always, you Konker looks great!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #9

I can agree with you on that. The KLR's are a nice bike, but they are not the most nimble offroad. They tend to really bog at slow speed. That light little konker should get you there though.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #10

My bet is that your son falls in love with your old CT.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
My bet is that your son falls in love with your old CT.
Maybe... If I ever get it finished! :roll:

Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I glad you got to ride with your son, Stew. As always, you Konker looks great!

Spud
Thanks Spud, it really is a fun little bike . I'm happy that my son is showing some interest in bikes, be fun to share a hobby