Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

Going through recoils like potato chips!

My sons little 49cc pocket dirtbike from GIO is back up and running with a motor replacement since the rocket key mishap, but the recoils keep breaking. It would seem from no other reason but very poor construction. The original metal on has an internal metal "thing" that engages the flywheel and that is good as the nylon one lost a tooth after one day. But the housings keep coming apart; both metal and plastic! Cheap construction and thin metal. Both recoils I have broken are from Gio. A metal one (original 2012) and a plastic replacement one that came with the replacement motor.
We need a well build one. Anyone know of a brand that holds up?
Btw, my son loves this little bike! I chase him around on the 70cc Katera.
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

Pretty sure there is not a specific brand and that all the starters are pumped out in the same place.

The "thing" you refer to is called a pawl.

I have had decent luck with the metal ones and have only had one fail and crack the housing.

When starting the bike give it 2 or 3 slow pulls, your not actually trying to start it at this point just get some fuel going to it. Then pull the cord till you feel tension in it and pull it a good yank to get it started.

These things do not have a long pull on the cord so be carefull not to pull it too far.

The engine will get easier to start the more it gets broken in and when broken in it will require alot less pull so the starter will take less punishment and last longer.

As far as where to buy one I just get the cheapest ones you can off ebay, as I said before the quality of these things is the same so you may as well get the cheapest you can get. Gio and other web sites will hose you on them. There are huge differences in prices on these things.

Here is one at a decent price and is shipped from california so its not a forever wait from china.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-ALUMINUM...item3370683354

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Pocket Bike Canada is a deceitful retailer.
Stay away from them.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #3

OK, got it!
Many thanks jaloos!
Riding a blue plated HSUN 200GY (Otherwise know as a ULIKE 200GY, SUNL 200GY or a VIVA SX200S), a 2010 Gio Mini Hummer 110cc ATV, 2010 Gio T3 Rebel ATV, and a 2002 Kawasaki KLR650, 70cc Katera dirtbike, and a 49cc GIO dirtbike...so far!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #4

I found a source for these and other parts. Royal Distributing now carries the "offshore" parts through this guy http://www.outsidedistributing.com. He is in Newmarket, Ontario with many dealers scatter about. The guy at Royal tells me he seems to be a pretty straight shooter and very helpful. I'm sure you can get parts for less over the internet (i.e. ebay etc) but having a few racks of parts just down the road is pretty convenient.[/url]