Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cron
I'm having so much fun with it .......
That's great! We can also look at the upside of the bike as recieved ...the smaller wheels likely provide a lower seat height which is a good thing while learning!

Take it easy on the throttle, and practice stopping as well as going, as it takes a surprisingly fair distance to come to a stop from speed.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #47

Quote:
I'm having so much fun with it I'm just going to not stress the transaction any more. I just put 14 miles on it riding up and down our street a couple times and then up to the store on the trail. Even rode straight up the gravel pit and it was great. That's pretty much all I wanted to do with it 'off road'. I took the road back at 50mph again and the speed didn't even bother me this time at all.

I will need some advice when it comes to purchasing some dual sport wheels somehow, but I'm just going to suck up the cost if I can't get any money back. Thanks for looking out for me, I've just been through so much waiting to get this bike that I'm going to enjoy it for what it is. Definitely be aware of the issue if someone wants to get the same bike.
I understand. You received a very nice motorcycle, and I am glad you are enjoying it!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #48

I am glad you have such a good attitude about his issue, but if you decide to press your point, be sure to mention your friends here at ChinaRiders are upset, and we don't like being mistreated!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #49

Quote:
I'm having so much fun with it I'm just going to not stress the transaction any more. I just put 14 miles on it riding up and down our street a couple times and then up to the store on the trail. Even rode straight up the gravel pit and it was great. That's pretty much all I wanted to do with it 'off road'. I took the road back at 50mph again and the speed didn't even bother me this time at all.

I will need some advice when it comes to purchasing some dual sport wheels somehow, but I'm just going to suck up the cost if I can't get any money back. Thanks for looking out for me, I've just been through so much waiting to get this bike that I'm going to enjoy it for what it is. Definitely be aware of the issue if someone wants to get the same bike.
Good attitude! You'll fit in nicely in the China bike world.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #50

I belive you could go with a more aggressive tire like the shinko 244 and gain more traction off road.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTrack
I belive you could go with a more aggressive tire like the shinko 244 and gain more traction off road.
I would if it came in the right size.

I've put a bunch of miles on the bike, but I'm having some concerns with the overall quality. Replaced many of the bolts and try to keep on top of everything, but it still feels like I compromised my safety to save a few hundred bucks which I end up paying in time doing repairs every couple rides.

Most likely going to ditch it for something better because I really do enjoy riding, but always wondering what's going to fall apart or loosen up next isn't so fun.

I haven't even been asking you guys for help on all the stuff I've had to fix because it's usually pretty straight forward, but it's been a constant string of minor repairs.

The current one is my throttle isn't automatically dethrottling, so I need to take off the plastics in order to track it down, most likely to find that the throttle spring has detached itself or fallen off.

I knew the Chinese bike would be lower quality, I guess I just underestimated exactly how bad it would be. And yeah it's just the little things, but it's every little thing.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #52

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTrack
I would if it came in the right size.

I've put a bunch of miles on the bike, but I'm having some concerns with the overall quality. Replaced many of the bolts and try to keep on top of everything, but it still feels like I compromised my safety to save a few hundred bucks which I end up paying in time doing repairs every couple rides.

Most likely going to ditch it for something better because I really do enjoy riding, but always wondering what's going to fall apart or loosen up next isn't so fun.
I wouldn'tlose to much faith yet. CB's are more 'hands on' than others but if you fine-tooth comb it and keep your eye on things, it should be a good reliable bike, especially engine/mechanical. Heck, the last Yamaha I had, I wrenched on constantly!
Besides, being as though you're a complete newby, you got some minor flops coming. Better to let this one take the hits than something 2-3 times the cost.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #53

Also it's not like parts never fall off of Japanese or European bikes either... :wink:

Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #54

Somewhere in the mountains of Idaho are my right rear turnsignal and the left license plate bolt from my KLX250S. Also somewhere in the desert there are a couple of bolts off Roger's KLR650. It happens. :?

On the other hand we DID run them 715 hard miles. 8)

Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #55

I agree with the others. You probably have most of the problems fixed. Most hondoid bikes require you to remove all the bolts, check them, and re-install them with red loctite. You probably need to lubricate your throttle cable; that's not unusual. I encourage you to not lose faith quite yet. 2LZ is absolutely correct; you want to make your mistakes on an inexpensive bike which is cheaper to repair. You can always upgrade to better bike after you learn to ride better.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 AM   #56

Look at it this way, you not only saved several hundred $$ on the bike, you also are getting several thousand dollars in motorcycle repair training.

Another thing to remember is dual sport bikes and especially china dual sports are not meant for trail busting, motorcross type riding. The aim is to be able to travel crappy roads and light trails, and fire roads and of course the occasional paved road.

Happy riding and be safe 8)