Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #1

Lights on a Gio 250?

Hey guys.
I've been kicking around the idea of re-entering the China bike scene for some time now. My old Lifan GY-5 is still around, sitting unused in a shed. I'm considering re-purchasing it, but I'd like something a little more dirt-worthy.

Which brings me to a Gio 250 for sale locally, for $600. Advertiser says it runs. That's all I know. Oh yeah, and it's a 2010 model.

Is there any chance I can run a light kit on this bike? I know nothing at all about Gios. I once had a bit of back-and-forth with the company's owner (thought about doing some work for him) but haven't really paid much attention to them since.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #2

I think that most of the china bikes came with a lighting coil in the stator.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #3

Yeah, I assume the parts are pretty much mix and match anyway, and my buddy still has a Lifan bottom end lying around, Ithink.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #4

I've done a bit of work on the older Gios, but I've never tried to install a headlight (great idea though). The Gios are decent bikes, but they need a little massaging, just like any CB.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #5

What are the main points to look out for, beside the standard loctiting and general quick rusting and visual decay?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

The typical stuff. IIRC, they came with 30mm Mikuni carbs by that year, but I think the air filter is very poor. That presents a challenge, because the air box is also the battery box. You have two options: use bulk Uni foam material in place of the stock junk, or switch to a pod filter and get creative with removing sections of the plastic box. Here's my favourite filter: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/42mm-Air-Filt...item4ab686abc4 I think that 450-WheelieBoyz used a piece of ABS pipe to connect his pod filter to the carb, but I'm not sure.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to 450-WheelieBoyz
Gio x31 250cc is a great bike!
With some TLC and a bit of massaging, they can be monsters

-Horrible air box. it catchs dirt like crazy! the bottom part of where your battery sits is connected to the air box! all the dirt that goes on your battery...goe in the air box :0

-Burnt starter ground - took me a few tries to fix it....but wow she really wants to start now!

- The air filter that Weldngrind refered to me didnt fit, so i Mcgyvered it to fit with the fitting i cut from the original air box and and PVC/ABS tube.

-Mikuni carb did a big difference for me, even though it wasnt tuned very well and is probably running lean (110 main, 25 slow) i think it needs to be around 120main.

All in all Gio are alright, if your willing to put some TLC into them they can really turn heads. I put my gio to sleep a week ago, full tank + stabilizer
Im going to put a bit more money into it, new chains n gears , new exhaust, and bring it to my local pit bike shop for a full tune up.

i paid the bike 375$
up to now i put maybe 150$ (not including fluids and tools/accesories)
I think if i put another 200-300$ ( parts n tune-up)
that its gonna run and look like CR, that i should be able to sell for upwards of 1000$

cheers best of luck

-2011 X31 Gio 250cc-
Mikuni Upgrade
Air filter
Hydro-clutch

Reppin -> Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Old 10-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #8

Yes, you can put lights on the bike. I did it with my 2011 when I had it. I had a rear thinline red LED marker, and a standard 55W halogen fog light ont eh front. I NEVER had an issue running the lights.

Just keep a trickle charger on teh battery when it's not in use or the batery will fail early, Mine never did but that'w hat Ive been told.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #9

Re: Lights on a Gio 250?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawazacky
Hey guys.
I've been kicking around the idea of re-entering the China bike scene for some time now. My old Lifan GY-5 is still around, sitting unused in a shed. I'm considering re-purchasing it, but I'd like something a little more dirt-worthy.

Which brings me to a Gio 250 for sale
led bulb locally, for $600. Advertiser says it runs. That's all I know. Oh yeah, and it's a 2010 model.

Is there any chance I can run a light kit on this bike? I know nothing at all about Gios. I once had a bit of back-and-forth with the company's owner (thought about doing some work for him) but haven't really paid much attention to them since.
You will be able to do that just take advice of some expert mechanic