Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #16

Ridgerunner,

I have a DB-05 Roketa. I really enjoy the bike. As with the case of any of these bikes.. You have to be mechanically aware of your machine. While my Roketa does have rear disc brakes, my other Chinese bike is rear drum.. too be honest, although I'm kind of old school as well.. I actually prefer the rear disc to the rear drum so far.. I get alot better performance out of the rear disc brakes than the rear drum. On some of the rocky trails and hills I have been on, I have developed a preference for a little more grab in the back, the rear drum on my other china bike has not been a good performer in my opinion. But thats just me.

As far as parts go, I havent needed any parts, but also have not had much luck finding them online in purely expeditionary fashion. The saving grace is that some members on this forum.. Tom at RPM and Bruce at EJ cycles have been able too hook up some of the members with parts and knowledge that you just cant get from anywhere else..

Right now the bike your looking at is at a very reasonable price, as long as you find a supplier that is not going to sock it to you on shipping charges. Another member also found a similar bike at powersportsmax.com a DB-P12 pretty inexpensive.

http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...roducts_id/612

This Hi-Bird has rear drums... if you call him he will drop the price just tell him you saw: Call for more discount http://www.digikool.net/product_info...92eb03e2757cc9

I can vouch for digikool he is genuine..

Good Luck with your decision

NET

Old 07-09-2007, 11:32 PM   #17

I have a roketa db-07 RSM-200e with 800 miles on it. No major issues.
I would recommend it because I only paid 900 bucks.
Just fight the urge to rush through the assembly and you will be pleased with one. Also plan on dis-assembling a lot of the stuff the factory slops together and re-doing it correctly as part of your assembly and prep. Example, my coil wire was lying on the exhaust. Just not fitted into the little bendable keeper on the frame, the plastic side cover was screwed on but not snaped into the mating piece. Also the chain is stretched so tight from the factory you could hit a high E note if you pluck it. But the sum of all the bike you get for the low dollar output can not be beat. Heck, you get 10 bucks worth of spare 10mm nuts and bolts just from taking the crate apart. I compaired my bike to a jianshee at a dealer in canada and I think the roketa had much better components (handles, grips wiring etc...) The bike is a pretty close copy of a 78-84 honda XR-200 (that is the clymer manual I use and it works perfectly.
Hope this helps and you will have a ton of fun for the money whatever you get

Old 07-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #18

I've got an '06 RSM 200E with about 1100 miles. My in-laws sell the little pocket rockets and decided to venture into the bigger bikes. They got out of the business and gave me the bike with about 20 miles on it as an early Christmas present last September.

I had no problems registering or insuring the bike, although it took the folks at the insurance company a while to decide how to classify it since it wasn't in their data base.

It's been basically issue free with the exception of finding the occasional loose bolt, but if you know about this issue and take a little extra time at assembly you shouldn't have any problems (loc-tite is your friend). The only other complaint that I can think of is that this bike doesn't like to sit for any length of time. If you don't start it for long periods of time, it's very hard to get it started and if you're trying with the kick starter you'll wear yourself out. I make sure that I start it and run it around the block at least once a week just to keep this from happening to me.

The only thing that I've had to do to the bike is replace the spark plug and the battery. This was a almost daily driver for me for about 6 months until I bought a vulcan 750. Now it's my extra bike/offroad toy.

One thing to keep in mind is if you're not mechanically inclined, you may be better off not getting a china bike, since a lot of shops won't touch them. If you're comfortable doing your own wrenching then I say go for it, especially with a resource like this site to help you out when you get stumped.

Good luck.

Tony

Old 07-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #19

My Roketa has been super. There was a few hangups in the very beginning but it's been running almost maintenance-free (aside from oil changes and chain lube) for around 1000 miles now. It has 1600 miles total and is running good.

I weigh 100lbs even, and I can easily hold it steady at 70mph (80 according to the inaccurate speedometer). The MPG is awesome too.

There's only a few things I can think of on the top of my head that you should watch out for. Change the stock tubes out ASAP because they are flimsy. The battery mount is also very wimpy. I didn't watch mine and one weld broke on it and it almost got lodged in my wheel, but I saw it in time. A few bolts, some of the steel the bike came packed in, and some twist ties and you couldn't get the thing off if you tried (without tools of course).

Another thing that bothers me is the headlight. I don't know what a normal bike is like because this is all I've ever had, but it isn't too bright. I work nightshift, and if I get stuck at a red light on the way there I am screwed because the sensors on the stop light wont pick me up and I have to wait until another car joins me haha.

Also, never lose the bearing spacer on the front wheel :evil:

Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #20

I forgot about the battery box. The welds broke on mine too, luckily I was trail riding and was not going very fast. I drilled some holes and bolted it back together. Doing this pre-weld breakage would be a good idea.