Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #76

Oyee. I'd have done the same thing. I happen to have a 20 ton press at my disposal. I'd still replace the whole unit because of warranty issues. I'd rather not have to press something in and out multiple times and possibly compromise the strength if said unit be it a control arm, tie rod, ball joint, etc. My exception is wheel bearings because of how large the hub is.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:49 AM   #77

Hi! I'm posting in regards to your gearing situation. I once experimented with a 17 front 36 rear sprocket combination and the bike will only run (and I mean it, WOT) at 65ish MPH, 70 down a light hill and I'm 6' tall and weigh 131 lbs! You'll probably be better to stay away from any smaller of a rear sprocket than around 43 teeth, as suggested by others. Current (stock) gearing runs 4.9k RPM to go 45 MPH. With a 43 tooth rear sprocket, your speeds will be matching to your RPMs. 45 MPH = 4500 RPM, 55 MPH = 5500 RPM, so on and so forth. (By the way, you were correct on the stock sprockets being a 17 tooth front and 46 tooth rear)
I decided on changing my rear sprocket back to stock simply due to the fact that it seems to put a significant strain on the clutch when taking off (just on level ground). Then again though, when I got the bike I had suspected the frictions had some glazing...when taking off there is a lot of slippage, when the slipping finally gets close enough to the engine RPMs it jerks hard and locks the clutch. I'm no expert on it but that's what I suspect. I have absolutely no idea where to get new frictions for the bike so I need to take it as easy as possible on what I have.
A great website you can use for finding what sprockets you'd want to run is www.gearingcommander.com
The exact model stock information is not available but I have the info on hand if you wish to use the website and have accurate data.
Sorry for this lengthy and probably unorganized post, but I just had a lot to say and I'm sort of new to posting on forums.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrrl View Post
I have absolutely no idea where to get new frictions for the bike so I need to take it as easy as possible on what I have.
Thanks for all of that good info. Finding replacement clutch parts is the easy part, since they're made by the millions. If you have a Honda clone motor, then the XR200 clutch plates are a perfect fit, should you want something other than stock. As well, you could use aftermarket clutch springs to increase the clamping pressure.

EBC XR200 style clutch plates: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/80-84-HONDA-X...19581d&vxp=mtr

Original China clutch plates, Honda style: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Clutch-Plates...9182a0&vxp=mtr

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #79

XRRL thanks for the great info. Weld, once again you are always knowledgable!

My blinkers came in today. I mounted those babies up. I'm not showing them until I get a new tail light. I adjusted my pilot screw yesterday but couldn't get the bike to run at all. I forgot to adjust the idle screw. Well I did that just before and needless to say she stayed running without a throttle installed nor choke for that matter. But it is like 90°f and 94% humidity right now. Battery and throttle should be here by Saturday the latest. I should be doing the swap this Friday so I might run to my local motorcycle dealer and see what goodies they have that I might coincidentally also need.

Hope everyone is riding well and staying safe! I've only got 20 days to get this baby legal to be on target. It's spending time.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #80

What a breakthrough, thank you so much Weldandgrind! I was always worried about the clutches completely giving way and having to park the bike! :(
As an addition to my previous post, I ordered a 42 tooth rear sprocket for my bike last night and it should be here tomorrow. I'm planning on using my bike for travelling a 60 mile round trip through a lengthy 55 MPH speed zone so I want to be able to keep up and rid myself of the fear of engine troubles...
I'm not meaning to hijack a thread, I'm only posting because my experience with new gearing may be useful to nyvdub89.
Oh! and all this time and I haven't even mentioned what I ride...LOL. It's a 2008 Lifan LF200GY-5.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #81

Nice bike XRRL. I like your taste in bikes. LOL!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #82

Today my new battery came in, I worked on some school buses, and i'ts raining. That about sums up any new activity for now. lol

Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #83

Wanted to give a little more info on the sprocket situation...my rear sprocket came in on Tuesday and I am more than happy with it. I expected a little more speed, but for now it's good enough. I ordered a 42t rear sprocket and I can now travel confidently in 45 MPH zones, lol. With a 17t front and 42t rear, the RPMs scale exactly with the speed traveling in 5th gear. For example, 40 MPH = 4,000 RPM, 45 = 4,500 RPM. I try to keep the engine below 5.5k RPMs so seeing how everyone likes to run 50 in 45s, it's perfect.
The takeoff has a speed of +.4 MPH, and from personal experience, it's not very noticeable at all when compared to stock when taking off. Acceleration is also still quite great. There's no excessive lugging and 5th gear doesn't feel like an overdrive at all. I never exceed half-thottle when riding.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #84

Thanks for the information X! I appreciate it.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #85

Quote:
Wanted to give a little more info on the sprocket situation...my rear sprocket came in on Tuesday and I am more than happy with it. I expected a little more speed, but for now it's good enough. I ordered a 42t rear sprocket and I can now travel confidently in 45 MPH zones, lol. With a 17t front and 42t rear, the RPMs scale exactly with the speed traveling in 5th gear. For example, 40 MPH = 4,000 RPM, 45 = 4,500 RPM. I try to keep the engine below 5.5k RPMs so seeing how everyone likes to run 50 in 45s, it's perfect.
The takeoff has a speed of +.4 MPH, and from personal experience, it's not very noticeable at all when compared to stock when taking off. Acceleration is also still quite great. There's no excessive lugging and 5th gear doesn't feel like an overdrive at all. I never exceed half-thottle when riding.
I suspect that your tach isn't being honest with you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I suspect that your tach isn't being honest with you.
Hmm..you could be right. Why do you say that? I've yet to compare it to a GPS but it feels in the +-5mph area for what the actual speed would be.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #87

lifan speedos typically run 10-15% higher than your actual speed also

Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyvdub89 View Post
The axle was a piece of cake. The wheel bearing took a little more finessing. I also replaced my passenger side tie rod end because it was seized so I cut it off to remove the hub. It's all buttoned up and ready to go. My throttle cable came in but it's about 3" too short. Any left handed turn makes the engine rev. The seller doesn't have any larger either. Just my luck. ):
Look for a throttle for a two stroke motocross bike (125cc or 85cc would be pretty close) that has the dimensions you are looking for, you may need to upgrade the throttle tube to one with a roller on top though to take up the extra cable.

i believe denis kirk lists the dimensions with all after market throttle cables

Old 06-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #89

Quote:
man you could have a good bit more speed with just revving it out....i have an uncapped rev limiter and can pace traffic on the local highway from the frontage road... thats spinning about 9k though on the stock 17/56 combo...LOL and pegged...

Old 06-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #90

I got in touch with the supplier from the first cable I bought and they said they would exchange it for the correct length I need. They just got in cables that are 39" in length with straight cable adjusters. The second cable I bought was the correct length but it has a 90° cable adjuster and the housing is about half an inch too long causing the bike to rev because the slide couldn't close fully. Oh well you live and you learn with these Chinese bikes.