Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #1

qlink xf clanging after winter storage

Greetings Good people
I have a qlink xf, I’ve had it since 2010 it has 12,000Km on it as I have road it every warm season since I’ve acquired it. Anyway I went to get it out from winter storage this year and started it up and the bike all of the sudden has a clanging clanking noise in the engine that was not present before or when I put it in for storage for the winter cold months. I’ve checked the cam tensioner and it is working properly. the rod was not pushed out all the way and has quite a lot to go before the rod would be extended its entire length. So the cam chain. should be good(by the way how long does the cam chain last before needing replaced?). The clutch is tight and good, valves are are adjusted to specs, changed oil and went over the entire bike for lose bolt and parts. The sound is just a constant clanging at idle and revved. Doesn’t matter if it is in neutral or in any of the gears, it still make the steady unusual sound. Sometimes it will all of the sudden stop for a while only to start back up again. Any suggestions as to what this may be So I can maybe go straight to the cause and fix it.
Thank you for your Help?

Last edited by milarepa999; 03-23-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #2

Loose exhaust heat shield? Broken baffle in muffler? Does it change with road speed? Engine speed? Engine load? How is the chain?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #3

If you disconnect the ignition coil and remove the spark plug, you would be able to kick it over very easily. Please let us know if the noise is present as you kick it over.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #4

Thank you fastDoc and weldangrind Much love for your suggestions and assistance. The chain and exhaust are all good. The sound is coming from inside the engine and it does increase its frequency with engine speed/revs but not its loudness as it will pretty much stay at a constant disable level. The next 50 degree day we get here in the North east I’ll pull off the magneto and clutch coves and have a look inside. I read something about glazed clutch plates after sitting for awhile. If there are any other suggestion please let me know. I will get back to the group and let everyone know what I find.
Thank you

Old 03-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

I think it's a good idea to look inside, but I can't imagine how glazed clutch plates could produce noise like that. I've had experience with clutch plates sticking together, but never making noise.

Perhaps you'll find a loose bolt on the shifter mechanism, which is likely under the clutch cover on your model.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by milarepa999 View Post
Thank you fastDoc and weldangrind Much love for your suggestions and assistance. The chain and exhaust are all good. The sound is coming from inside the engine and it does increase its frequency with engine speed/revs but not its loudness as it will pretty much stay at a constant disable level. The next 50 degree day we get here in the North east I’ll pull off the magneto and clutch coves and have a look inside. I read something about glazed clutch plates after sitting for awhile. If there are any other suggestion please let me know. I will get back to the group and let everyone know what I find.
Thank you
had a similar issue on a CB125 many moons ago, the cam chain had skipped a sooth and one of the valves was just kissing the piston at TDC. it severely lacked power as well. I was able to re-time the engine without any damage.
The cam chain tensioners on those engines are not that reliable, IIRC you undo a bolt then spring pressure is supposed to pull the tensioner into the chain then you re-tighten the bolt. if the bolt is over tightened it can distort the shaft and it stops working.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #7

I can't imagine what could have gone wrong in storage...

Old 03-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #8

WAIT!

I may have figured it out!

Have you checked the oil level? Is it high? Does it feel or smell peculiar?

Maybe fuel got past the petcock (even if it was closed) and the needle valve. From there it goes into the engine and gets into the crankcase. This dilutes and ruins the oil, and your motor too if you don't catch it.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #9

Thumbs Up

I’m hoping I just find a loose bolt and nothing major. The sound it makes is as if something came loose or is loose. It has its normal amount of power so I am hoping it is not a cam issue this early in the bikes existence. I ride with care and never rip around on the bike, so I can’t imagine that anything is worn yet, though I could be wrong. I will take into account all the suggestion and check into them when I open it up on Friday as that looks like when it's going to be warmer and comfortable enough to check it out.
Thank you Fellas!

Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #10

Check the starter. I'm drawing a blank right now what it's called but the thing that moves forward when the starter is engaged that meshes with the gear could be stuck. Easy enough to check as the starter is easy to pull on the Qlinks.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #11

I'm guessing that the word you're searching for is Bendix.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm guessing that the word you're searching for is Bendix.
Yep, thanks Weld. Not convinced that it's the problem but it's the only thing that sprang to mind given that the sound goes away sometimes.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-27-2014, 03:57 AM   #13

When you get time, please do post an update. I'm interested to learn the source of this unusual noise.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #14

probably the exhaust valve being a bit loose and tapping audibly?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #15

I still think my theory is either correct or merits exclusion.