Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #1

CT clones

Since I am not real up on who makes what in the world of Chinese motorcycles/mopeds/scooters, I would like to ask a question. I am hoping to buy a new, either, a Honda CT-70 clone, or a new TMEC or Bashon dual sport. Te TMEC ans Bashon are both, I believe 200cc powered. The TMEC, is, I'm pretty sure, more expensive, but I have heard good things about dealing with Wade Liu, as far as parts go. Since I live on the big island of Hawaii, there is no way I will get a chance to look at any of these in person.
Now, on to the CT clones. There is Skyteam, and there is SSR (and maybe others?). Skyteam had told me last year in an email, that they were dropping the CT clone. And, checking their US website, that bike seems to be gone. MY first question is, is SSR still makinh their CT clones, or had they been made by the folks that made the Skyteam CT clones? If Skyteam made the clones for SSR, then is that source going to dry up also?
Since I am 60 years old, I figure an SSR CT clone 125cc would actually work for me. I am not going to be doing any really rough, fast, off road riding. No jumps, wheelies, racing, extreme hill climbing, etc. The bike would be used to putt around the huge development I live in, which is HUGE, and has quite a few gravel roads. I would also use it to run into Hilo Hawaii and back. This is a 25 mile round trip. It's partly on a highway with speeds of 50-55. But, if that's a asking too much, we have large, full lane size, shoulders. These can be used by pedestrians, bicyclists, mopeds and scooters. One can putt along at 30-40 mph with no hassles. And, finally, I would use it to explore some pretty rough dirt and gravel roads in the area. Some of these roads can get me to Hilo in a pinch, if the main highway route is clogged or closed. These roads would be rough for a standard car, but any dual sport, or a CT clone, shouldn't have a problem.
I wouldn't think that the Chinese makers would drop all the CT clone bikes, as it seems like there is a decent market for these bikes and parts for them.

I can get a Bashon 200 delivered to my house for $1360. I have a quote coming on a TMEC 200 also. A CT is probably about what the Bashon costs.

Also, if anyone has experience with the SSR clone bike, I'd like to hear what you have to say. I've heard pretty good things about the TMEC. Not much about the Bashon 200.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #2

Bashan is new, so only one member, so far, has bought a 229cc powered bike (Bashan makes both a 200cc and a 229cc bike). TMEC is a good bike, too. The SSR CT clone bikes are Skyteam manufactured, as well as a few of the bikes offered via Roketa, such as this one http://www.killermotorsports.com/Rok...-mc-34-125.htm

I know that there is a larger front sprocket available for the Skyteam CT clone from Pitster Pro (their bikes are also Skyteam mfg.) for faster top speed, which should make your bike cruise at 50 to 55 (I believe it will cruise already at 50 to 55 stock, but pushing it).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

The Bashan Member would be me. I picked up the 229cc version earlier this month, and so far have about 350-400 miles on it. It does seem the TMEC has better fit and finish, but mechanically speaking and for the price I think that the Bashans are a good buy.

I do not now, nor do I anticipate regretting the decision to purchase this fine steed. The Bashans are really the Roketa DB-07's rebranded, so the 200cc roketa DB07 are the earlier models of this one. It seems when Bashan picked them up that they had dealt with a few common complaints like the battery mount that people had problems with on the roketa appears to have been beefed up, and the guards on the exhaust come standard with lock nuts, where they did not used to from what I have read on the forums. Other similar details seem to be thought of here too.

If you want anything specific about the Bashans let me know as I am the one with the most direct access to one (I also have a buddy, not present on the forums (yet) that bought one with me, so we have two to report from, though I have put considerably more wear and research into mine thus far than he has)

If you need specific info on the TMEC200 cuclune seems to be the go to!

I have been holding off on putting up a post until I have the new carb and air filter in, along with the freshly painted panels on, about what exactly I have had to do to this bike so far to get it riding the way I have it. Nothing major, but I have already had to crack into my brakes, repair and paint a rear panel (totally my fault), and do a few other little tweaks. Also despite the battery mount seemingly being improved, I am still going to reinforce it, so I will be posting a comprehensive thread with lots of pictures, and all that has been done, how I did it, how many miles I am at, and my experiences in general, here in the next 5 days or so (should be plenty of time to finish my little projects and put her back together)

But if you have specific questions before then let me know!

Old 05-25-2014, 12:22 AM   #4

I think it is tough to beat the Bashon 200 with a price of $1,360, including delivery to Hawaii. The 200cc bikes will do a much better job keeping up with traffic than a Honda CT clone.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #5

Looking forward to reading more about your Bashon, there, Hailing. Do you know if a parts manual is available on the internet yet? I don't know about your 229cc Bashon engine, but I think the 200 is a pushrod engine. There has been some problems with the rear wheel and hub on some Chinese motorcycles (Dong Fang, Cleveland Cyclewerks,...). They use a large snap ring and a series of rubber rear wheel dampeners with steel sleeves. Do you know if your Bashon uses that setup?

So, if Skyteam makes all these CT clones, but Skyteam has dropped that bike, is it the end of the CT clones (after those in the warehouses are gone)?

Thanks to you, Culcune, and Spudrider.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post

So, if Skyteam makes all these CT clones, but Skyteam has dropped that bike, is it the end of the CT clones (after those in the warehouses are gone)?

Thanks to you, Culcune, and Spudrider.
No, Skyteam USA is not the official importer. A few years back, Skyteam USA started pushing their Honda PBR 50 replica, so they lost interest in the CT clones since they were competing against other importers who were also selling the CT clones. This is the bike they are pushing

http://www.motobuys.com/st125-p-skyt.html

As the ad states, it looks a lot like the Honda Grom which is over twice as much in cost. Of course, the Grom is an update of the Honda PBR 50 from 1988 (it was a one or two year only bike in the US).

Pitster Pro also shows a version of this replica, but I think they are the only ones besides Skyteam USA carrying them.

A lower cost CT replica from Ice Bear is also available as sold by the same outlet.

http://www.motobuys.com/monkey-ib-championdax-l.html

I have heard differing opinions as to Ice Bear's quality overall, but as of lately, they have been pushing mainly street scooters, including a few 3 wheelers and some other odd vehicles, including a Z-50 clone (with a 110cc engine) that has an attached side car, and a 125cc ATV disguised as a Willy's jeep. They also have a Honda Ruckus clone with a stretched wheelbase that looks like a drag bike which have a cult following. There are videos of some of their products on youtube.

http://www.icebearatv.com/

http://www.icebearatv.com/product/pbz110-1p

I, personally, would stick with the Skyteam, SSR, Pitster Pro, or Roketa clones as manufactured by Skyteam, but my opinion could change if more people buy the Ice Bear clones (keep in mind that negative opinions can taint an entire brand, while the product in question could be unrelated to the offending product).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard