Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 10:08 PM   #1

Danger Danger Danger

So here I am finally taking my bike (Roketa DB-07A) true offroad for the first time. Everything was great could not ask for a better day to ride. Found this new path that heads downhill for about 500 feet. So I take this path get half way down got my front tire in a rut created from water run off. My back tire slide in as well so I try to slow down some with the front and rear brake. Well my back tire decided to lock sliding to the left while my front decides to head right. Let's just say the ground felt a bit hard on the rear and side leg. I did manage to keep the bike up off the ground with the exception of the cheap bark buster
that hit. BTW those are made from some cheap plastic as it didn't take much for it to crack.

I know this has been covered before, but what all do I need to do in order to stop my rear from locking up when I barely press it. I knew this problem existed even when I had the bike street legal but I tend to not use the rear much, but when I did it always locks.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 08-16-2007, 10:35 PM   #2

You need a set of these.
http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=2341

As far as the brake goes. Use the rear first going downhill and try to shift more of your weight to the back of the bike. These brakes lock easily I had some interesting downhill rides today too.

Allen

Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #3

Not much you can do, be gentle with the brake and if it slips let off of it. And go slow, I've been four wheeling for a long time and I know that 95% of the time the slower you go the better off you are in he rough stuff. i.e... keep it in first with the throttle closed and keep off the brakes when it's loose or muddy.

Sounds like you got crossed up nicely! I did almost the same thing my first week of riding on the road, going downhill saw gravel and hit the back brake... wound up taking out two locust fence posts and a bunch of barbed wire! Had half of one of the posts wedged behind the cylinders and under the carbs! Screwed the bike up, but I walked away (minus some skin, but I was walking!).

Old 08-17-2007, 05:25 AM   #4

Hmm hill riding is the most fun I think.
When I go down a hill I start off slow and keep it slow, keep my weight to the back, use engine braking along with rear brake, very little front braking,

But if I have to use the brakes hard downhill it's the old rapid pump to keep it controlled.

locked up tires offer little to no control (sometimes I do controlled slides-never with the front tire :P )

Hill riding, like riding in sand, well most of my riding I just go with whats there and dont fight it to much.
If there is a rut I'll try to stay out of it but if I get caught up in it I'll try to slow it down quick and just ride thru it.

I wont be going up north trail riding this weekend since we are getting a new trailer for the toys.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #5

The trick to riding down steep hills is to understand 1 concept; You will never go any slower down the hill than the speed you start at. Start off as slow as you can, losing speed will be tough. Momentum is your enemy.

If you start the hill creeping in 1st or second, you can control the bike quite easily in most situations, using front and rear brakes as well as engine braking.

The opposite is just as true. When going up steep hills, you will never go any faster than when you started. Start off fast, gaining speed will be tough. Momentum is your friend.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #6

I creeped down the rocky section of road on my trip in first with the engine at idle. It was all downhill at 5mph and less. Just used the rear brake enough to keep it slow.

Allen