Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2007, 02:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXtreme
Did I make this clear as mud?
Almost. Kind of a gray swirly colored mud. :wink:

But I do see the term "gray market" used improperly here and there. To go back to the original definition:
Quote:
The grey market refers to the flow of new goods through distribution channels other than those authorized or intended by the manufacturer or producer.
Let me give an example of true gray market: Cannon imports a camera into the US with an MSRP of $1,000. Cannon also sells that same exact camera to the European market. But for some reason or another, they set the MSRP in Europe at $750 (maybe Europeans hate Cannon...I have no idea). Regional pricing happens with merchandise like that all the time. Now to get into gray market. Some importer in the US sees that the Cannons are $250 cheaper in Europe so he contacts his European "connection" and brings a few hundred over to the US and sells them on eBay. Happens all the time. Is there anything truly illegal about it? No. What's the problem then? Well, Cannon USA only has a budget to warranty a certain number of cameras (or percentage of cameras that they think will break). So when your gray market camera breaks, you call CannonUSA and give them your serial number they're going to tell you that your camera is not covered by their warranty program.

(can you guys tell I like analogy?)

Now if an importer/dealer/eBayer contacts Lifan and imports bikes to sell in the USA, they are not by definition gray market. That is why HI bikes are not gray market. If they're going through an unauthorized exporter in China then that may be another story. But I have a feeling that these days, Lifan (and China in general) doesn't give too much of a crap where their bikes end up as long as they get money in exchange for them. So in other words, there are no unauthorized exporters/importers and therefore no gray market Lifans.

Quote:
Ok, Partially true but one Honda dealer can not dictate the thickness of the frames, weather to include the disk rear brake (American Lifan went back to drum due to occasional problems with the disk and wanted to improve the quality of the bike, not retain a problem area), weather or not to include the NEW counterbalanced engine, among many other things most people on here overlook.
I beg to differ. They make so damn many of these things, and they make so many different "flavors", they have nearly an endless "parts bin" to pull from. Want a less expensive bike to put on ebay? Ok, we'll use the frames we get from our low bidder supplier. This order is for American Lifan. Use the good frames. Oh, and leave off the rear discs and put on those drums sitting over in that pile over there.

The way you have to think of it IS like a car. Except think of it like this:
Lifan = Honda = Make
200GY = Civic = Model
-5 = DX/LX/SI = Major option package
Rear disc brake = 6 disc changer = option$
tachometer = sunroof = option$
balanced engine = 18"rims yo = option$
thicker frame = side impact airbags = option$
etc...

(I've never bought a Honda so don't berate me if those specific options/packages don't exist)

Quote:
There IS an American Lifan, Lifan IS the parent company, but the bikes ARE different. Are they all junk? I’m not saying that, but differences in quality are there and obtaining parts is almost non-existent.
I don't think anybody has ever said that the bikes weren't different. Lifan is a HUGE manufacturer. I'd venture a bet that they make more products in a year than any Japanese, European or domestic motorcycle/ATV manufacturer. Their bikes come from many factories. They probably have hundreds of suppliers making different parts. They supply their own country as well as export to the world. Of course there are going to make various "versions" of a 200GY-5. Its not like all Lifan 200GY's come from the same production line and the same set of drawings.

What's all that boil down to? Well, American Lifan has requested what they feel is a quality product from Lifan China. Quality enough that they're willing to support a warranty program. And at a pretty reasonable price. Good for them and it is definitely a step in the right direction.