Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #1

Help with speedometer!!!! Please!

My speedometer on my lifan gy5 work to about 30-40 mph then any more past that it starts moving back and forth and I dont how fast Im going or what. Can someone help me?

Old 09-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #2

speedo cable

Sounds like the speedo cable is catching. Try lubing the cable. Same thing happened on my truck and the lube took care of it.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #3

Thanks

Old 09-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #4

I found something interesting today on my G5 which could cause the problem you describe. While riding the trails this morning the speedo drive twisted on the axle which caused the cable housing to be pulled into a tight radius curve rather than a gradual curve. This would have caused the inner cable to break if I hadn't noticed it.

On models with inverted forks there is nothing to stop the speedo drive from turning counter clockwise when viewed from the left although it does have a stop to prevent it turning clockwise. I'll have to try to come up with a fix.

Q

Old 09-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #5

I think you may have installed it wrong. It is suppose to slide in a slot not just have a stop to prevent it from turning clockwise.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
I think you may have installed it wrong. It is suppose to slide in a slot not just have a stop to prevent it from turning clockwise.
Yup, wrong install or a broken / mismade speedo drive.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 09-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #7

No slot on mine.

Q

Old 09-16-2007, 09:13 PM   #8

there are gears in the speedo gauge mine would bounce back and forth almost like a vibration. i changed the head unit and no problim since.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #9

This is NOT normal. There is a slot, grove or whatever you want to call it in the housing for the sending unit. There is a tab protruding from the fork that goes into this to prevent this from happening.

This is on all American Lifan GY-5 bikes. I'll try to take a picture and post for all to see. Maybe someone already has a picture????

The speedo's on these bikes are 100% better than other models. My demo bike is smooth as silk.

Thanks

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 09-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #10

I've lubed mine a couple different times and most of the time it works great but sometimes it will jump around.

If it makes you guys feel better, I was on a DS ride and a BMW broke his shifter when it went down in the slick stuff, and later on his clutch cable broke. Damn Bavarian equipment!

Old 09-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #11

OK, here's a picture (below). Note that the speedo drive housing cannot twist forward because it is being stopped by the tab on the fork casting, it can however twist back. There is no groove on the speedo drive housing for this tab to fit into.

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOXtreme
This is NOT normal. There is a slot, grove or whatever you want to call it in the housing for the sending unit. There is a tab protruding from the fork that goes into this to prevent this from happening.

This is on all American Lifan GY-5 bikes. I'll try to take a picture and post for all to see. Maybe someone already has a picture????

The speedo's on these bikes are 100% better than other models. My demo bike is smooth as silk.

Thanks

Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #12

you need a new hub

Old 09-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #13

Savage, Why do you say he needs a new hub? I may be missing something, just courious.

Q, You are correct and your fix to this is as good as any. I have not had any issues with this but my GY-5 gets only mild off road and mostly on-road.

Later folks

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 09-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #14

I'm looking at the black piece that the speedo cable screws in to (may not be the hub). If you look right to the Right of where he twisted the wire it looks like the metal tab broke off. Replace that black piece and you should be good to go, or just run it the way you have it I guess.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:08 PM   #15

Q,
The tab protruding from your fork seems to be short, speedo hub looks fine...