Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2015, 12:06 AM   #46

If you don't change anything other than the size of the rear sprocket, you will need to remove 4 links from the drive chain.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifemx5 View Post
I have put a few more miles on my bike. Had a little spill off road so it's got an imperfection... So I don't have to worry about that any more. I am going to install a 45 tooth sprocket as soon as I find the time. The gearing is a bit too low for how we are using the bikes. Anyone know if or how much I would have to shorten the chain? (Going from a 52 to a 45 tooth sprocket) Also I have developed an oil leak that I have narrowed to the shift shaft seal. Any suggestions on where I should look to get a new one? Does anyone know if a Honda / Yamaha one would work? Part #or application would be a big help. Thanks in advance!
Good for you for knocking the shine off; now you can enjoy it.

The shifter seal is likely to be the same as a Honda XR200, but you can likely just take the numbers off of the seal and get a replacement at a local bearing shop.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
If you don't change anything other than the size of the rear sprocket, you will need to remove 4 links from the drive chain.
Thanks Spud! I have another question for you or possibly Weldangrind. I ordered a new Mukuni carb today (The one that is recommended on here so much) I am going to free up the exhaust by gutting the cat, and I have a uni foam filter to go in the slightly modified stock air box
(I opened up the intake holes about double the original size) I operate primarily at 5000 - 8000 ft above sea level, where would you recommend I start with the jetting, with these conditions in mind?_
P.S. this is a 229cc engine

Last edited by midlifemx5; 05-09-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: additional info

Old 05-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Good for you for knocking the shine off; now you can enjoy it.

The shifter seal is likely to be the same as a Honda XR200, but you can likely just take the numbers off of the seal and get a replacement at a local bearing shop.
Thanks Weld, upon taking a really good hard look at the oil leak today I found the oil level to be about a 1/2 quart too high, after correcting this the oil leak seems to have been eliminated. Ill keep an eye on it, and report back. (I feel stupid)

Old 05-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Thanks Spud! I have another question for you or possibly Weldangrind. I ordered a new Mukuni carb today (The one that is recommended on here so much) I am going to free up the exhaust by gutting the cat, and I have a uni foam filter to go in the slightly modified stock air box
(I opened up the intake holes about double the original size) I operate primarily at 5000 - 8000 ft above sea level, where would you recommend I start with the jetting, with these conditions in mind?_
I defer to Weldangrind, who is the resident, Mikuni carburetor expert.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #51

Quote:
Thanks Weld, upon taking a really good hard look at the oil leak today I found the oil level to be about a 1/2 quart too high, after correcting this the oil leak seems to have been eliminated. Ill keep an eye on it, and report back. (I feel stupid)
We've all done it.

Even if the seal doesn't heal itself, it's not a big deal to replace.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #52

Quote:
Can engines even run at that elevation?

I'd start with a 115 main and a 30 slow. If it won't start despite adjusting the pilot mixture screw, go to a 27.5 slow.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I defer to Weldangrind, who is the resident, Mikuni carburetor expert.
I'll accept enthusiast, but I'm no expert.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Can engines even run at that elevation?

I'd start with a 115 main and a 30 slow. If it won't start despite adjusting the pilot mixture screw, go to a 27.5 slow.
Thanks for the starting point. I'll put in an order for some jets to get started with. BTW I see that there are 2 different styles of slow (pilot jets) for the vm series carb which ones does the carb in your link take?

Old 05-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #55

Maybe a better question is what series# is this Carburetor, I'm pretty sure it's a VM, but what is the sub series # I cant really tell for sure from your comparison photos which type of slow jet to order. Sorry for all the questions you have probably had to answer before

Old 05-11-2015, 12:49 AM   #56

IIRC, the China 30mm Mikuni takes a VM28 / 486 style slow jet.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:53 AM   #57

Quote:
Sorry for all the questions you have probably had to answer before
Please don't hesitate to ask questions! I love hanging out in this shop, and I'm happy to contribute whatever I can. Thanks for joining us.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #58

Quote:
Please don't hesitate to ask questions! I love hanging out in this shop, and I'm happy to contribute whatever I can. Thanks for joining us.
Thanks so much the help is much appreciated!

Old 05-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #59

I got the carb and jets today! I don't think I will get them installed tomorrow but I will post a report when I do.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #60

Awesome! I hope it works out well for you.