Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2016, 12:08 AM   #1

how to remove a hawk 250 carburetor

So what's the secret for gettg the pz30 off to put on the new mikuni clone?

It looks like i have to remove the airbox and battery box to get the air intake off the carb...maybe the gastank too.

am i missing a simpler approach?

Is the air hose easier to work/more pliable when the temperature is not freezing?

thanks

Old 02-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #2

The answer is always yes to your last question; China rubber isn't very cold weather friendly. That's the reason I upgrade fuel lines to snowmobile stuff.

I don't have a Hawk, but I do have a similar Lifan. I haven't pulled the carb off for awhile, but I don't think I had to remove the tank. I definitely had to pull the airbox, but I ended up deleting it and installing a pod filter. The pod filter is excellent, and I trust it much more than the stock filter for proper filtration.

Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-42mm-4...VVuDNp&vxp=mtr

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #3

I squeezed and moved around the air box snout to get it off the carb. once off, it was easy enough to pull the carb off the bolts. if I remember, the screw for the seat may have also held the air box. not sure, but I'm thinking that made it easier to remove. either way though, with some wiggling, the snout came off.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #4

Removing the seat and loosening the airbox definitely made it easier. Otherwise you're wrestling the air snout out of the way and it can be really stiff. No gas tank removal needed, though.

I might have to try that mod of installing a pod filter, is it as easy as unclamping the snout and clamping the pod onto the carb?

Old 02-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
The answer is always yes to your last question; China rubber isn't very cold weather friendly. That's the reason I upgrade fuel lines to snowmobile stuff.

I don't have a Hawk, but I do have a similar Lifan. I haven't pulled the carb off for awhile, but I don't think I had to remove the tank. I definitely had to pull the airbox, but I ended up deleting it and installing a pod filter. The pod filter is excellent, and I trust it much more than the stock filter for proper filtration.

Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-42mm-4...VVuDNp&vxp=mtr
Thanks for the suggestion. Does the pod filter require a jetting change for the mikuni vm26 30mm jetted at 115/30? I'm at sea level.

Really appreciate all your expertise and wisdom... To all the forum contributors!

Old 02-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #6

I ordered a pod filter today, but was also out in the garage doing some tuning on the carb, so had an opportunity to remove the snout. I squeezed it in the middle and pulled it back to get it off the carb, then turned the end of the snout out to clear the carb.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichrisbot View Post
I might have to try that mod of installing a pod filter, is it as easy as unclamping the snout and clamping the pod onto the carb?
It is indeed. Don't forget to oil it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco4arcs View Post
Does the pod filter require a jetting change for the mikuni vm26 30mm jetted at 115/30? I'm at sea level.
Probably not. With a properly oiled pod, it'll be about the same.