Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

Oh No Did I ruine my bike? (Storm 250)

Hey everyone. 1 month ago I bought my first motorcycle - Bashan Storm 250.
I was told by the dealer to not pass 40 mph during the break in. On my first ride on it taking it home I by mistake entered a free way and for some time I was on 55 mph... Everything seamed ok after that ride but after a few more rides I started to hear a ticking sound.. Guess it's from the engine. 2 days ago the bike fell on its side :( I didn't know I wasn't supposed to start it before half an hour passes so all the fluids go back to place... It started after I tried for about 10 minutes..... But. What has changed is - the bike now starts only with the choke on, even when the engine is hot. When I release the choke the engine struggles for a few seconds and turns off. Now when I ride the Turs (don't know how u call it in English) are always very high... I road for one hour today and when I stopped I couldn't put the bike in any gear, only after turning it off and back on.....
And the most concerning thing I found out today is that there is a sticker on the engine saying not to pass 35 kph (about 10 mph!!!) for the break in period, I road it 90 kph I hope I didn't ruin the engine cuz I'm planning a long road trip with this bike

Thanks for helpers
Eve

Old 02-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #2

sounds like you have a couple of seperate issues going on not all one problem.

i don't think you ruined it.

definitely a carburetor issue

and it sounds like the clutch is not releasing fully anymore which could be as simple as an adjustment.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 02-16-2016, 11:50 PM   #3

Don't worry, Evelyn. This can all be sorted out. These engines are very tough.

In addition to what Kohburn said, it's time to change the oil, and it's time to set the valves. Please show us a pic of the left side of the engine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #4

I have to say, the choke on mine (exact same bike) does very little to assist starting. I had trouble figuring out which way was on to be honest. Only thing different is it splutters when I pull away if it is still on and wont accelerate until I flick it off, then it pulls away nicely. I'm really thinking about replacing with a Mikuni (or lookalike) off eBay. As mentioned above.. Check cable tension and make sure the clutch cable isn't trapped somewhere. I have about 1000 on mine and not had to touch the valves yet. But it might be a spring task when I change the oil.
1995 Harley Davidson Chopper build from ground up.
1983 Yamaha XJ900 REBUILT!
1971 Triumph Daytona 500 - Restored
1987 Yamaha FJ1200

Old 02-23-2016, 12:23 AM   #5

Have not seen any posting, Evelyn. Is your bike fixed now?

Old 02-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #6

Dossbag my friend helped me a lot of info about fixing stuff so I changed the oil and a few other things.. The choke still cuts off the engine when it's on the highest position. Can anyone tell me what is the upper position for sure? On/off? Anyway I'll take it to be repaired but if it just doesn't work when it's on so I guess it's ok to ride for now. Runs really well.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dossbag View Post
I have to say, the choke on mine (exact same bike) does very little to assist starting. I had trouble figuring out which way was on to be honest. Only thing different is it splutters when I pull away if it is still on and wont accelerate until I flick it off, then it pulls away nicely. I'm really thinking about replacing with a Mikuni (or lookalike) off eBay. As mentioned above.. Check cable tension and make sure the clutch cable isn't trapped somewhere. I have about 1000 on mine and not had to touch the valves yet. But it might be a spring task when I change the oil.
I am guessing all the way down is choke off. I only used my choke during the cold winter mornings here in Yuma (30's, 40's, low 50's Faranheit) on my TMEC 200. Otherwise, I would simply leave it all the way down once the weather was warm throughout the day starting in March or so. I never touched the valves in over 10k miles on my TMEC. Need to get it back on the road!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard