Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #1

Here's one for ya.....

Needed to ride down to my place (25 miles from the house) to check my hog trap and one of the feeders. It's nice and warm, high 70s near 80 degrees today, clouds around, but no rain, so I decided to save a bunch of money on gas and ride. Got down there, did what I needed to do, got hung on the right foot peg once on a scrub oak bush. Think that's what might have been the culprit, might have hunt the brake lever, but anyway, I'm riding home coming to an intersection, no rear brake, no problem, just apply more front brake and come to a stop. I pulled over to check and the brake rod broke at the lever and was dangling.

Anyway, took it off, rode on home. Got to looking around in spare motorcycle junk and I have a couple of XR100 frames. Took the brake rod off one of 'em and, sure nuf, perfect fit! Just thought you guys might wanna know. Mine's a Diamo LS200, similar to all the older dual sport 200s with the drum brake. Newer ones have a disc, so you guys wouldn't be interested. :P

Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #2

Thanks could you post the basic dimensions and the model Honda (year and model) in the parts thread at the top. I'll update the thread after you post.

Thanks,
Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #3

The xr100 stayed generally the same from the early eighties into the nineites and 2000s.

Those brake rods sell for next to nothing on ebay too.

Allen

Old 12-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #4

I can go measure it, but it's a mid 90s XR100. All the 80s-90s XR80 and 100 brake rods are the same.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #5

I think the 100 is longer than the 80 due to the larger wheel and swingarm.

Allen

Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I think the 100 is longer than the 80 due to the larger wheel and swingarm.

Allen
I have an 80 chassis out there, with no wheel. Sold the wheel to a fat guy that wondered why all the spokes keep breaking in his 80's wheel. :roll: The 80 uses a 14" rear, 16" front wheel diameter, the 100 is 16 rear, 19 front. I've bought older 80s fronts to lace a 100's 16" rear hub to for mini racing, both flat track and mini road racing, a common cheap way to go.

Anyway, the swingarm is an inch shorter on the 80, so I'd reckon the brake rod would be shorter by an inch, however, I think there's enough room in adjustment on the 100 that an inch shorter would work. If nothing else, you could move the brake arm on the hub up on the splines and it'd work. I had to depress the front brake pedal and move the brake arm on the hub to its rearward travel and bend the rod a little to get it in the hole, so I figure 1" shorter would have worked.

Anyhow, it measures 0.2" diameter and 21.5" from the hole where it mounts with a pin to the brake pedal to the end of the rod.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #7

A picture

http://imageigloo.com/images/5238PICT0195.JPG

Old 12-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #8

Hog trap? You guys TRAP hogs?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
Yup, trap does the work so I don't have to. :P Hogs are a big time problem in Texas, overpopulation. They're feral and they tear up range and crops. We trap 'em, shoot 'em, chase 'em with dogs and knife 'em, you name it and they're still growing in population. They have the natality rate of rabbits with a much higher survival rate. The sows are protective of their young and there ain't much short of a gator that'll take on mama.

Anyway, no seasons, no limits, no rules, kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out. Good protein, though, and tastier than venison.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
Yup, trap does the work so I don't have to. :P Hogs are a big time problem in Texas, overpopulation. They're feral and they tear up range and crops. We trap 'em, shoot 'em, chase 'em with dogs and knife 'em, you name it and they're still growing in population. They have the natality rate of rabbits with a much higher survival rate. The sows are protective of their young and there ain't much short of a gator that'll take on mama.

Anyway, no seasons, no limits, no rules, kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out. Good protein, though, and tastier than venison.
No doubt, they are beyond description slow cooked, whole, in a pit of hickory.
I've trapped coon, muskrat and fox... I just never even thought about trapping hogs. So you guys have open season on hogs.... that would be awesome. I have always wanted to take one with archery tackle, just not to keen on being gutted by one if I didn't kill it first!
(EDIT) And yeah, two of my cousins were killed by a sow a looong time ago. They are fast, strong and mean... add to that those huge tusks... not something to mess around with!
Sorry, done hijacking your thread!