Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

Last night my wife...

Well after hearing me raphsodize about the joys of having a motorcycle again and how much more I like my commute, the ease of parking, the changes in my brain chemistry and on and on etc etc...actually I really owe it all to Evelyn and old weed from advrider...My better half asked if she'd be able to ride a motorcycle.

I practically burst trying to contain my typical over enthusiasm. Didn't want to pressure her or go all macho on her so I figured I'd entrust the professionals. We looked up the nearest next Msf course... Then she asked if I could show her the basics on one of mine.

I seem to recall somebody asking me for whom the second hawk was purchased...they're psychic.

Anyway her legs are longer than mine and she felt comfortable with the weight and balance of the hawk. After way too much of my babbling she was working the clutch, starting and stopping in 1st gear in the alley behind our row house.... Baby steps.

So today I couldn't work from home ( she does) and she asks, what time will you be home? What time does the sun go down? Unfortunately it's raining, but I know she's looking forward to her next lesson.

What a great night.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #2

Gee.... And I only had sex. :-)

Old 04-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco4arcs View Post
Well after hearing me raphsodize about the joys of having a motorcycle again and how much more I like my commute, the ease of parking, the changes in my brain chemistry and on and on etc etc...actually I really owe it all to Evelyn and old weed from advrider...My better half asked if she'd be able to ride a motorcycle.

I practically burst trying to contain my typical over enthusiasm. Didn't want to pressure her or go all macho on her so I figured I'd entrust the professionals. We looked up the nearest next Msf course... Then she asked if I could show her the basics on one of mine.

I seem to recall somebody asking me for whom the second hawk was purchased...they're psychic.

Anyway her legs are longer than mine and she felt comfortable with the weight and balance of the hawk. After way too much of my babbling she was working the clutch, starting and stopping in 1st gear in the alley behind our row house.... Baby steps.

So today I couldn't work from home ( she does) and she asks, what time will you be home? What time does the sun go down? Unfortunately it's raining, but I know she's looking forward to her next lesson.

What a great night.
SO jealous! My better half is always looking for a way to convince me to get rid of mine :(

I think id explode if she showed interest in riding.

Hope you both stay safe!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #4

That's AWESOME DUDE!

My wife, who has put ONE mile on the scooter since Feb. of last year,
told me while we were in the mountains camping ( last week ) that
she was bound and determined to " ride that damn little scooter ".
Sounds silly to us who ride regularly. But anything that moves under it's own
power on 2 wheels can make a compete novice nervous I guess.
We have a particular stretch of backroad on the farm I grew up on picked out.
It is about 2 miles from one end to the other. And she is gonna ride that stretch back & forth over & over till she gets comfortable. And I will be
tailing behind her , most likely in 1st gear, on my Grom.

Maybe ( HOPEFULY!! ) your wife will be a fast learner!

Old 04-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #5

That's wonderful. Thanks for sharing the good news.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-05-2016, 12:27 AM   #6

That is terrific news! I hope she really enjoys riding.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #7

Great story ! Congratulations

Old 04-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #8

It's always exciting to hear, try to keep her on backroads and slow in the beginning. My woman insisted and insisted for over a year and half that she wanted her own bike and I wouldn't let her get one. (Didn't feel comfortable with her shifting and crashing trying to learn) I stopped riding for a while and just got my new Hawk, so she was back at asking to get one, so I hopped on the good old interwebs showing her all the China Scooter/motorcycles (automatics) which she hated them all, so back to searching and I found that back in the late 70's they made an automatic motorcycle. I showed her a 1979 Honda CM400 for $300 bucks and she liked the idea, wasn't in love but agreed to check it out. About an hour later she tells me she wants to build a bobber and goes on and on about how excited she is to build a bike that looks the way she wants it. That night we buy the bike and we are currently building a bobber. It needed the carbs replaced, but what a great running and fun little bike to ride being automatic (Neutral, low gear & high gear).

Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #9

cool ... my wife said she would never even get on the back of my storm, then after i gave up on asking her to go ride with me, out of the blue one time she asked if i wanted to go for a ride ... now she cant wait for it to get warm, so we can ride ... she will never ride the storm alone, as it is way to big for her at only 5'2", but i am hoping it gets her into wanting a scooter or something ... she has rode smaller bikes that had centrifugal clutches, so i want to get her something with a cvt

Old 04-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #10

That's awesome! I have to say, as a guy who has a wife who rides her own, it's really a great thing, and a mixed bag. I'll explain later in the post.
I love to ride with her far more than any of my buddies. It's nice to run with the "boyz" but there's just something special about taking a break and walking into a bar with the Mrs on my arm.
A brief Mrs 2LZ history: By nature, she's athletic and kind of a tom boy. She's always competed on horseback in her younger years and also was very talented on a real, standup Jetski. The transition to motorcycle was an easy one.
Myself and my buddy Roger taught her for about 5 months on a closed course, every weekend, rain or shine, and put her through the paces. Then, we signed her up for the beginner MSF course. Then after a year of riding with us, protected in the middle, she took the advanced course. She smoked both courses. She now is on her 4th bike and has about 80,000 miles under her belt. I've seen her do some pretty amazing things on a bike to save her tail. That's where the worry comes in but you get used to it.

Do yourself a favor and follow through on the MSF course and then the advanced course later. They refresh the basics, plus more advanced maneuvers....at least here in CA.
Great news! Your going to love riding with her!

This is Mrs. 2LZ and her Vic. She can't wait till the TT250 gets here!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 12-31-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
Gee.... And I only had sex. :-)
Yah but it doesn't count when you're alone! :-p

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco4arcs View Post

What a great night.

LOL gotta tell you, one look at the title of your post and i had to glance to see if i had somehow wandered into an off topic private thread hehe grats on finding a good soul mate. hard to do and very very rare :(

at its core, Life at its best, is:

" Team Sport"

Seer's Law number 2
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 04-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Yah but it doesn't count when you're alone! :-p