Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #31

Carb update

So two things really. Laurie towed the quad over to her sisters for me to work on it. I fixed the toe and camber after putting the better suspension on it, looks like it will be much better now. Oddly, she lost the seat on the freeway towing it over here! So now after all this work, she has no seat, not sure if ebay will have one, but i will look later on today.

I put the carb on and it fired right up! Bad news is it was going 3000 rpms and would not settle down. The adjuster screw did nothing. When i thumbed the gas it actually bogged it down and killed it. Since i have never once worked on a carb in my life this is a fun new experience, so my assumption is getting the same jets as 2LZ was maybe not the best for here in GA? IDK, but I will pull the jets and put the stock ones back in. Not sure why else it would do that. I did try adjusting the needle from the third groove to the last one (the top one) thinking it would close more of the fuel off, but no change. Looks like I may have to hit YouTube up for a tutorial on carbs. Something everyone should know and now its my time haha!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by funonemax View Post
So two things really. Laurie towed the quad over to her sisters for me to work on it. I fixed the toe and camber after putting the better suspension on it, looks like it will be much better now. Oddly, she lost the seat on the freeway towing it over here! So now after all this work, she has no seat, not sure if ebay will have one, but i will look later on today.

I put the carb on and it fired right up! Bad news is it was going 3000 rpms and would not settle down. The adjuster screw did nothing. When i thumbed the gas it actually bogged it down and killed it. Since i have never once worked on a carb in my life this is a fun new experience, so my assumption is getting the same jets as 2LZ was maybe not the best for here in GA? IDK, but I will pull the jets and put the stock ones back in. Not sure why else it would do that. I did try adjusting the needle from the third groove to the last one (the top one) thinking it would close more of the fuel off, but no change. Looks like I may have to hit YouTube up for a tutorial on carbs. Something everyone should know and now its my time haha!
Hey Max! There you are! Sounds like you may have put the slide in backwards! Don't laugh...it happens! Let me know about the sprocket when you get around to it. I've contacted the vendor and I'm just kind of waiting to hear what you think.....

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #33

Backwards?

So its grooved on each side, only seems to go in one way? Do you think I put it in upside down? Its shaped on one end and level/flat on the other end. I put the shaped end towards the bottom so it would fit flush where its grooved out where the needle hits.

I am going to spin it around on the grooves, but not sure if I should be flipping it around.

As for the sprocket, I have not put it on yet. We were supposed to go yesterday and I was going to ride the quad, but when she lost the seat, she bailed on going at all. I ended up going to Durham town by myself and riding my KTM on single track for 3.5 hours.

I need to get the carb adjusted properly, then find a seat, take it out and see how she runs up and down the hills and decide if the 40 tooth is appropriate. I could just mail it to you and if you like it, pay me what I paid? I am in no rush and it seems you can test it faster than I can. Up to you, feel free to message me whenever. I can drop it in the mail anytime this week.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by funonemax View Post
So its grooved on each side, only seems to go in one way? Do you think I put it in upside down? Its shaped on one end and level/flat on the other end. I put the shaped end towards the bottom so it would fit flush where its grooved out where the needle hits.

I am going to spin it around on the grooves, but not sure if I should be flipping it around.

As for the sprocket, I have not put it on yet. We were supposed to go yesterday and I was going to ride the quad, but when she lost the seat, she bailed on going at all. I ended up going to Durham town by myself and riding my KTM on single track for 3.5 hours.

I need to get the carb adjusted properly, then find a seat, take it out and see how she runs up and down the hills and decide if the 40 tooth is appropriate. I could just mail it to you and if you like it, pay me what I paid? I am in no rush and it seems you can test it faster than I can. Up to you, feel free to message me whenever. I can drop it in the mail anytime this week.
The slide will have a beveled half on the bottom of it. That bevel goes toward the air filter. Man...if it's in correctly and everything went together well, it should be running great!
I'm in no hurry on the sprocket. Just wondering if you ever got to it yet. It has to be tough to want to tinker on something that's not in your garage! Good luck on the seat search!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-11-2016, 04:28 PM   #35

As they says, "prices may vary..."

https://taotaopartsdirect.myshopify....oducts/seat-18

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3812809...&ul_noapp=true

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 04-12-2016, 12:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
The slide will have a beveled half on the bottom of it. That bevel goes toward the air filter.
Another way to look at it is that there is a small ramp at the base, and that lines up with the idle screw. The side opposite the ramp has a long slot, and that is a guide that mates with a pin. The pin is on the opposite side of the slide bore from the idle screw.

Make sense?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #37

I may have time to look at it today. Seems like a hopefully easy fix, but I think the long slot enables it to go in one way? I really hope I am wrong. Either way, I need to grab the battery and charge it.

Thanks 2LZ for the seat references, I am forwarding to Laurie so she can get a replacement.

My goal is to get the carb adjusted and set this weekend. If it does not have enough juice, I will install the larger rear sprocket asap.

I really appreciate the guidance on the carb guys, very helpful! Update when I can.