Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #1

Bike for college

Ok, i am in a bind now. I am a college student, i just want to get something that will get me to school since i have to travel to two different campuses every day. I still have to do the MSF course and get my motorcycle licence, but I wanted to get one of the Hawk 250s. I know pretty much everything that needs to be done to it.

Now it seems like you cant find them, but these two have taken its place. That is all fine and good it they are just as good(or better!).

https://www.powerrideoutlet.com/dirt...l#!prettyPhoto

http://www.apscusa.com/Bashan-Enforc...ded_p_769.html

Does anyone know if the Mikuni carb and exhuast for the hawk 250 will fit either of these? I already bought that upgraded carb and exhaust for the hawk that everyone has been getting.

It really doesnt look like it from the pictures that the one(brozz?) has 21/18 wheels but the same 19/17. I would hope it got updated as i like the inverted forks!

Now the third side of the problem, someone near me has a Yamaha XT250 for sale for $550, it runs, but doesnt have a title and needs a few parts.

What does the forum think? All three will need work or tinkering from the get go to get them to work the way i want to. Just i dont know which will be cheaper. ON the other side, the XT250 may be more expensive to get to where i want, but it is more powerful and can be made more powerful alot easier! It can take all of the Yamaha Raptor 250 performance parts if i wanted more power down the line.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDStroup View Post
Ok, i am in a bind now. I am a college student, i just want to get something that will get me to school since i have to travel to two different campuses every day. I still have to do the MSF course and get my motorcycle licence, but I wanted to get one of the Hawk 250s. I know pretty much everything that needs to be done to it.

Now it seems like you cant find them, but these two have taken its place. That is all fine and good it they are just as good(or better!).

https://www.powerrideoutlet.com/dirt...l#!prettyPhoto

http://www.apscusa.com/Bashan-Enforc...ded_p_769.html

Does anyone know if the Mikuni carb and exhuast for the hawk 250 will fit either of these? I already bought that upgraded carb and exhaust for the hawk that everyone has been getting.

It really doesnt look like it from the pictures that the one(brozz?) has 21/18 wheels but the same 19/17. I would hope it got updated as i like the inverted forks!

Now the third side of the problem, someone near me has a Yamaha XT250 for sale for $550, it runs, but doesnt have a title and needs a few parts.

What does the forum think? All three will need work or tinkering from the get go to get them to work the way i want to. Just i dont know which will be cheaper. ON the other side, the XT250 may be more expensive to get to where i want, but it is more powerful and can be made more powerful alot easier! It can take all of the Yamaha Raptor 250 performance parts if i wanted more power down the line.
I wouldn't touch a used bike that has no title. I'm amazed to hear that you can't find a Hawk to buy. APSC also has Hawks' for sale. But the enforcer seems to be much cheaper. Depends on how much the freight is to your place.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #3

The title would be the deal killer (possibly) for me. If there are ways to get a bonded title in your state, that might be the way to go. But you say it needs 'parts' so that could be an issue, too.

Out of the 3, if you need a bike now, the Enforcer is the way to go due to its low price and the fact that you could get it registered within a few theoretical days depending on how fast they get the paperwork to you. The parts you have, at least the carb., would fit, but ironically, you might not even need it. It is reported by Bashan owners that the stock carb is great. Exhaust is not my specialty, but it should fit the Enforcer, too.

The Brozz is considered a premium bike in the Bashan lineup, in spite of its rear drum brake and odd sized wheels. I am guessing, like letsride's 2014 Brozz, it comes with good road sprockets, which I believe are 17 front/47 rear.

The Hawk is a good basic bike, but needs upgrades, and is actually more expensive than the Enforcer. Plus, depending on which state you are and how picky they are, you might find hassle or NO street plating the Hawk.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #4

Get the enforcer

Old 02-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #5

The xt is a great bike but without a title I wouldn't touch it.
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*
Vader 125cc *sold after owning for many years*
1997 Jeep Wrangler *sold due to frame rot*

Old 02-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

I believe Virginia it is easy to get a bonded title. I could always do the vermont route. But don't worry, i wouldn't touch a used bike without first doing a VIN check with the state police.

The "parts" that the XT250 needs is fairings only, both side panels and the headlight shroud. It also does have a dead battery. It has new brake pad, oil filter, air filter, and carb. Like i said, it does run. The story he gave about no title is because he got it from his military buddy. Since it was just used around the farm the title was never a concern.

The XT is local, so it does have another plus is that i don't have to pay shipping.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
I wouldn't touch a used bike that has no title. I'm amazed to hear that you can't find a Hawk to buy. APSC also has Hawks' for sale. But the enforcer seems to be much cheaper. Depends on how much the freight is to your place.
How do you see how much the freight would cost at APSC? I tried with the enforcer and it wouldnt show anything.

So either i dont know how to work the site or I am so awesome that they want to give me free shipping!

Just to clear it up, i cant find The hawk instock on any sites that can be trusted, like APSC, they dont even have an ad with out of stock on it.

NVM this statement. I tried again. I was able to find it. I had to use the search bar.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #8

Quote:
I believe Virginia it is easy to get a bonded title. I could always do the vermont route. But don't worry, i wouldn't touch a used bike without first doing a VIN check with the state police.

The "parts" that the XT250 needs is fairings only, both side panels and the headlight shroud. It also does have a dead battery. It has new brake pad, oil filter, air filter, and carb. Like i said, it does run. The story he gave about no title is because he got it from his military buddy. Since it was just used around the farm the title was never a concern.

The XT is local, so it does have another plus is that i don't have to pay shipping.
I'm also in virginia so if you go with the XT let me know how that goes. I've passed a good few bikes up because of no title. Of course, like you said a VIN check is a must.
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*

Old 02-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsumd View Post
I'm also in virginia so if you go with the XT let me know how that goes. I've passed a good few bikes up because of no title. Of course, like you said a VIN check is a must.
No problem! From what i have been told Virginia is one of the easiest states to get something registered in.

Have you seen the requirements for a street legal vehicle?

Doors, windshield, seat belts(if it was designed to have them), lights(headlights, tailslights, turning) and brakes. That is it.

Sandrails are/were a very common thing on the streets here.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:12 PM   #10

http://www.apscusa.com/New-Bashan-En...le-_p_688.html

http://www.apscusa.com/New-2015-Hawk...cle_p_472.html

It looks like the hawk is actually $100 cheaper than the enforcer. If they are they exact same bike, then that isnt worth it, but if the enforcer is actually upgraded that isnt bad.

The brozz isnt that much more expensive. If it really does have the 21/18 wheels, than that might be the way to go with the china bike route.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #11

Quote:
http://www.apscusa.com/New-Bashan-En...le-_p_688.html

http://www.apscusa.com/New-2015-Hawk...cle_p_472.html

It looks like the hawk is actually $100 cheaper than the enforcer. If they are they exact same bike, then that isnt worth it, but if the enforcer is actually upgraded that isnt bad.

The brozz isnt that much more expensive. If it really does have the 21/18 wheels, than that might be the way to go with the china bike route.
You can get the enforcer for $1050

Old 02-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #12

Quote:
No problem! From what i have been told Virginia is one of the easiest states to get something registered in.

Have you seen the requirements for a street legal vehicle?

Doors, windshield, seat belts(if it was designed to have them), lights(headlights, tailslights, turning) and brakes. That is it.

Sandrails are/were a very common thing on the streets here.
Some inspection stations can be real buttholes though. That's the only trouble I've ran into with getting vehicles completely legal. Luckily the guy I go to now isn't that bad.
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*

Old 02-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #13

You guys never met the hot older biker gal with the leather vest from my DMV. She asked what kind of bike the Hawk was and I said on-off road and she started typing. I didn't need an inspection for the title and plate.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
You guys never met the hot older biker gal with the leather vest from my DMV. She asked what kind of bike the Hawk was and I said on-off road and she started typing. I didn't need an inspection for the title and plate.
You don't have to have a title for inspection and plate here either but if you don't get one you'll get a heavy fine for it if you are caught...but this biker gal sounds interesting lol
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*

Old 02-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #15

I should said we don't have inspections in North Dakota. Maybe the DMV gal just liked me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (78.9 KB, 398 views)