Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #526

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat67 View Post
What is the best way to set / check the chain tension for these bikes?

and to add to goat67's question, I have a pit posse chain breaker and punch but there isnt a pin or mandrel for a 428 chain in it, anyone know of a good kit for the smaller sizes, other than the cheep junk on ebay or amazon?
i've been looking around and can only find a link cutter.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #527

Quote:
What is the best way to set / check the chain tension for these bikes?
take three fingers and stack them vertically in between the chain and the swingarm just in front of the chain guide

Old 04-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #528

Hi all.
Another newbie here. Wasn't sure where to post for being a new member (just signed up today). I have two Hawks coming middle of next week and hope I don't regret it. Have some of the mods coming also. I'm sure I may have questions along the way and this seems like the best place to find answers for the Hawks. First question would be is if anyone knows of a place the recommended RK428S0-130 chain is in stock and available. All I find is not available. Would a NK428S0-138 work if I just remove the needed amount of links? Found this on Amazon but somethings seems wrong about it actually being an o-ring chain for the price listed. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BT78NWU...I2SBUMQZYP9BB7

Old 04-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #529

Not sure if that link for that chain worked. Might have ran out of character space.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BT78NWU...I2SBUMQZYP9BB7

Old 04-01-2017, 12:26 PM   #530

Chain Adjustment

Hello I found the manual for the Hawk here is the chain adjustment steps is this the right way to set the chain tension?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chain_adjustment.jpg (78.6 KB, 239 views)

Old 04-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper1012 View Post
take three fingers and stack them vertically in between the chain and the swingarm just in front of the chain guide
Mine from the factory is not even got a single finger of play. This is the reason I am asking.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #532

Quote:
Mine from the factory is not even got a single finger of play. This is the reason I am asking.

the stock chain that came with the bike will stretch and loosen up fairly quickly

Old 04-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #533

I have the current manual also. I have read/seen video that the index marks are not right from side to side and to eye ball the center knob of the tire to the lower mono shock mount to center it.
Also noticed in that manual that it states that it has an o-ring chain. Is that true for 2016 Hawks? Some how I doubt it. Even if it is I'm sure it's still not good.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk16 View Post
I have the current manual also. I have read/seen video that the index marks are not right from side to side and to eye ball the center knob of the tire to the lower mono shock mount to center it.
Also noticed in that manual that it states that it has an o-ring chain. Is that true for 2016 Hawks? Some how I doubt it. Even if it is I'm sure it's still not good.

the chain that came on mine wasnt an o-ring, i changed it out at about 50 miles, i had to tighten it twice in that 50 miles. all i did to align it was to center the middle lugs on the tire with the shock mount. i also swapped out the adjuster nuts out with nylocs just to prevent them from loosening up, i didnt have any issues but others had them loosen up and were double nutting them

Old 04-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by old kid View Post
the chain that came on mine wasnt an o-ring, i changed it out at about 50 miles, i had to tighten it twice in that 50 miles. all i did to align it was to center the middle lugs on the tire with the shock mount. i also swapped out the adjuster nuts out with nylocs just to prevent them from loosening up, i didnt have any issues but others had them loosen up and were double nutting them
Pretty much figure the factory stuff is junk which brings me back to my original question about the NK428S0-130 chain. Anywhere these are in stock or would this be the same if just removing the extra links? (RK Racing Chain 428SO-138 Steel 138-Links Heavy Duty Chain with Connecting Link) This is the title of it on Amazon and I wonder about the "heavy duty" part of it. In the description and picture it says and shows that it is an O-ring chain just like the 130 link one. But for $27.82 I really have a feeling it's just a heavy duty chain and not the O-ring. Like to get these mods lined up before I even assemble them so I can just do it while putting them together. Save the headache of taking them back apart again later.
Thanks for any helpful input.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #536

i'm not familiar with the RK chains, we have a local shop here that sells D.I.D. chains, i bought the X-Ring 428/130, i have seen other posts where other people have bought the RK chains and had no issues with them. but you are right the chain that came with it was junk.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #537

Quote:
Hello I found the manual for the Hawk here is the chain adjustment steps is this the right way to set the chain tension?
this is correct. dont blame the chain if you dont adjust it! had to be seriously loose to jump off.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 04-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #538

The longer chain is just fine ,nothing wrong with rk chains either .

Old 04-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk16 View Post
Pretty much figure the factory stuff is junk which brings me back to my original question about the NK428S0-130 chain. Anywhere these are in stock or would this be the same if just removing the extra links? (RK Racing Chain 428SO-138 Steel 138-Links Heavy Duty Chain with Connecting Link) This is the title of it on Amazon and I wonder about the "heavy duty" part of it. In the description and picture it says and shows that it is an O-ring chain just like the 130 link one. But for $27.82 I really have a feeling it's just a heavy duty chain and not the O-ring. Like to get these mods lined up before I even assemble them so I can just do it while putting them together. Save the headache of taking them back apart again later.
Thanks for any helpful input.
Yes, it is the same chain, just has extra links. If I ordered that chain, I'd get 2 or 3 extra master links, and a chain breaker.. Unless you want to grind the rivet head off with a Dremel or some other grinder...ARH

Old 04-01-2017, 09:45 PM   #540

Crying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Yes, it is the same chain, just has extra links. If I ordered that chain, I'd get 2 or 3 extra master links, and a chain breaker.. Unless you want to grind the rivet head off with a Dremel or some other grinder...ARH
Got a chain breaker. I'm good to go. Ordered that chain but it was the last one on Amazon. Need to find another one.