Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #1

skid plate

Noticed today that the rear bolts on my skid plate have fallen out. It was hanging by the front bolt (which was quite loose).

Anyone know what size those things are?

I took the plate off completely for the time being. No difference in vibrations.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #2

Those skid plates are about useless and I'd prefer the side frame/tubes as seen on some bikes with a skid plate welded in between.

I think they are just 10mm and we have lost those bolts also but we also picked up a metric bolt kit from the local auto parts store that has been very useful.They sell even better, motorcycle specific bolt kits at motorcycle accessory shops.

I was going to put together a china bike bolt kit but never cared too but I see a need for one.(all the common bolts/screws upgraded with a tube of lock-tite in a handy carry case)

Here is a local accessory shop with a BOLT KIT.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #3

when my skid plate broke i just left it off. i don't do a lot of woods riding so it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:37 AM   #4

Mine has no skid plate, was thinking of making one out of a chunk of aluminum, but I doubt I'll bother...

On my gy5, the skid plate screws loosened, my dad's too. My skid plate also got a small crack in it.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:46 AM   #5

my bike needs a good skid plate badly since I mostly go offroad and there are all kinds of things on the trails.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one around here that does a lot of offroading on a dualsport.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
my bike needs a good skid plate badly since I mostly go offroad and there are all kinds of things on the trails.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one around here that does a lot of offroading on a dualsport.
I ride mine off road when I have the time. Currently I'm trying to map out all the old, abandoned fire towers in my area... I think that would be a killer dual sport ride as all the towers , 1)have/had access roads (trails) leading to them, 2) are off the beaten paths in the mountains 3) are not all linked by trails, so on road capability is just as important as off road ability 4)are kind of historic as some were built at the turn of the century.

For a good skid plate, use a shovel with the handle cut off. They are tough, cheap and come in a large selection of sizes. ... as a kid we converted my cousin's KZ 400 to a woods bike, guess what we used for a bash plate!

Old 03-22-2008, 02:09 AM   #7

Team Cheap...thanks for the link dude.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:16 AM   #8

Oh that link to the BOLT KIT, they have other bolt kits as well and many other items.
We drove out there to get my wifes trailtech vapor for her quad and we also bought the fork supports from them so yeah that is actually also a real retail store.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #9

This is what we all need.

Allen