Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #1

Hawk wiring, WTF

So, I was out riding my new hawk this weekend and started smelling something.... electrical. Shut off the bike and got a puff of magic smoke from under the gas tank.

Welp, they got me. I thought I had found all the halfassery, but they got me.

The rear break switch wire came nicely wound around the exhaust pipe just out of sight. It melted and shorted out. The wire smoked all the way from the front to to the back of the harness.

If you're buying a hawk, you might want to check that wire before you go off riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg melted0.jpg (83.5 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg melted1.jpg (89.3 KB, 225 views)

Old 07-31-2017, 09:27 PM   #2

Yikes. Sry to hear/see this, just glad there's no permanent damage and you weren't in danger.

Rides a 2016 Bashan 18C with Blue PlastiDip, piped and jetted, USB charger, real-time digital volt meter, faux carbon fiber handguards, 5 COB led headlight upgrade, auxiliary led light bars, and an MSR shift lever with new grips, T6 aluminum handlebars anodized in blue, polished handlebar brace, decals, HD Unibear chain and spoke covers waiting on the always-full mod shelf......

Old 07-31-2017, 09:55 PM   #3

The rear brake light switch wire was carefully wound around and clipped in place behind the frame tube, right next to the exhaust. Then I guess they used some real cheap, low temperature wire and it was just smoldering and melting in the harness while I was riding from the short.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:03 PM   #4

I rerouted quite a bit of my harness with zip ties because of stuff like this. The harness is just kind of half ass slapped into place all over the place.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-01-2017, 12:16 AM   #5

I electric taped all the wires I could reach and greased all the terminals upon setup when mine was new. Glad it didn't leave you settin.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

Yep, hopefully this will save someone else some headache with their new hawk. There's only one fuse and the harness is just spliced together. I figure the brake wire melted through the big red wire and that's when i got the magic smoke and the fuse blew.

I'm doing the cluster upgrade since the factory speedo didn't work. So, I would have been in here wiring anyway. Try it again next weekend.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:11 AM   #7

We can rebuild it, better than it was before... with a digital cluster so new it still has the protective film...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire2.jpg (81.8 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg cluster.jpg (86.7 KB, 152 views)