Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2018, 07:24 AM   #1

The Best Group, ever...

... of all time.

Just something I have observed as a member of many forums for many different vehicle types over the years. This is the most entertaining, informative, and varied forum I have ever been a member of. The only other one that comes close is Comanche Club, and it has a very similar vibe to it.

It's the lack of ego and the willingness to help, experiment, and share knowledge and experiences with other members that makes this site a real gem.

It's the bond of bunch of people doing what they can to get every last ounce of reliability and fun out of misfit vehicles.

Now if we could just work out a way to do gatherings. For most bikes or cars this wouldn't be a big deal, but asking a bunch guys on sub 20hp bikes to take a trip of several hundred miles is quite a tall order...

Still, I think it would be fun to load up my Hawk and make a trip to meet up with a few folks for a little fun. I think some sort of plans could be made. Unlike many people, I absolutely love the idea of trying to cross country ride my bike.

We could always be super ambitious and try to get a Trans-America Trail group ride going.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #2

I have to agree with this is one of the best forum's I've been a member of. Definitely no drama going on between members. Everyone one is willing to help each other. No one cutting anyone down because they don't have a clue how to work on there bike. This has to be one of the best well mannered groups I have ever seen. Megadan, you have been a big help on here. Thanks for all the write up you have done. Most of this I know but just don't quite have the knack for putting it in words like you do. I'm a hands on guy. If it is in front of me I can show you what to do. lol
Yes we need to have some gatherings of members. I know of only two other members from Louisiana and we live at opposite corners of the state. I'm willing to load up the bike and camper to travel to a central meeting place then set out on some riding. I would be scared to take a long trip on the Hawk but don't think my old body would make it cross country.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #3

I still have enough youth left in me to try something dumb enough like travelling several hundred miles on a Hawk. I also have just enough old in me that I would regret it afterward.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #4

I'm pleased to hear that you guys have such a positive perception of the forum. It is indeed the very environment we strive for. Trolls are not tolerated here.
We have had a few informal gatherings over the years; I've been blessed with the opportunity to meet several members in the US and Canada, but it would be great to have something a little more structured.
I'd be into popping one of my bikes into the back of my truck, hitching up my travel trailer and joining a group somewhere. I may not be able to participate this year due to other commitments, but next year is quite likely. If Kato were to join us, I'd even bring a buddy bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm pleased to hear that you guys have such a positive perception of the forum. It is indeed the very environment we strive for. Trolls are not tolerated here.
We have had a few informal gatherings over the years; I've been blessed with the opportunity to meet several members in the US and Canada, but it would be great to have something a little more structured.
I'd be into popping one of my bikes into the back of my truck, hitching up my travel trailer and joining a group somewhere. I may not be able to participate this year due to other commitments, but next year is quite likely. If Kato were to join us, I'd even bring a buddy bike.
Yeah, I think the big hurdle is just how spread out we all are. I wouldn't even begin to know the what, when, and wheres of it, but I do love the idea. If it were just an Enduro/ADV meet up, then obviously some trail riding and camping would be the way to go. We also have lots of road bikes on here though, so I guess it would really depend on the interest.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #6

Yes indeedy! A great group of grease monkey tight wads!! No seriously, it is a great drama free forum! The amount of knowledge and know how here is amazing. I do my very best to help others when so many have helped me. As far as a group meet, I would be down. As soon as I get another Dual Sport and get her Ironed out I would take a trip on it. I'm old enough to know better, but still to young to care.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #7

Indeed it is one of the best groups around. Even with the old joke "I would never want to be part of any group that would have me as a member" this one counters that altogether, LOL. One way to have rides is to organize regionally. When I was living in Arizona, I noticed that there were always members from various parts of the state. On another group I belong to--Dax Replicas, there is a member who rode his Chinese CT70 replica (Skyteam 125cc) from Tucson to the Phoenix area and back; one time in near freezing raining conditions! If I had a bike and knew about it, would have loved to meet up. Before I had moved to L.A., Emerikol moved to Phoenix, and there are a few Phoenix area RX3 members, as evidenced when I sneak over to the RX3 thread. Wolftrax did attempt to make a budget adventure/throw-away bike out of his Hawk as he was planning on abandoning his bike somewhere in Argentina, but the Hawk was just not up to being on US highways. Which brings me to what MEgadan mentioned--the TAT and/or south of the US border. The going rate on either trail/road is generally slower, so either would be a good place to ride Chinese bikes. Most realistically--TAT

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #8

Easy enough to speak of regionality when you have a bunch of people already around you. There aren't very many active members around me. 1 or 2 guys from Omaha, but I haven't seen or heard from them in a while.

I don't mind that I have to travel, quite the opposite. I love long rides and adventures. It's just a population density thing around here lol

Old 03-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Yes indeedy! A great group of grease monkey tight wads!! No seriously, it is a great drama free forum! The amount of knowledge and know how here is amazing. I do my very best to help others when so many have helped me. As far as a group meet, I would be down. As soon as I get another Dual Sport and get her Ironed out I would take a trip on it. I'm old enough to know better, but still to young to care.
I have my Concours Owners Group rally in July that I'm in charge of. Honestly very little to do other than tell everyone to show up and use my trailer and tarp as gathering place for evenings of beer and BS. I took my Hawk last year and did some alternate riding while I was there.

the rally is at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Robbinsville NC. Date is July 26 to 29. Anyone interested in joining in is ALWAYS Welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170728_120015.jpg (94.6 KB, 49 views)

Old 03-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #10

This place does rock compared to other forums. As W&G says, it's because he and others don't put up with anyone not willing to play nice.

I know a nice place in Volcano that would make a nice gathering spot. Lots of free parking and places to set up tents! ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
I have my Concours Owners Group rally in July that I'm in charge of. Honestly very little to do other than tell everyone to show up and use my trailer and tarp as gathering place for evenings of beer and BS. I took my Hawk last year and did some alternate riding while I was there.

the rally is at Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Robbinsville NC. Date is July 26 to 29. Anyone interested in joining in is ALWAYS Welcome.
I've stayed at eh Ironhorse lodge before when we had a Yamaha Triples gathering there. Nice little place. I love the riding around there. The dragon and Moonshiner 28 is lots of fun!

Old 03-27-2018, 10:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
I've stayed at eh Ironhorse lodge before when we had a Yamaha Triples gathering there. Nice little place. I love the riding around there. The dragon and Moonshiner 28 is lots of fun!
there's lots of forest service roads all over the Cherohala too.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #13

a little late notice, but a cool get together in middle tennessee

i cant make it this yr. fiance taking me to bacon festival in Cleveland Tn that weekend.
Attachment 12428

Last edited by imapdog; 10-31-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post

I'f I can get free, I might show up on the RX3
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member