Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #1

TaoTao 124cc

I have no power at all it has set for awhile remote was lost so here is a list of things that I have bought and replaced as of now
New battery
New key switch
New CDI
Ignition coil
New handle bar switch
New remote and alarm module
New voltage regulator
The safety tether is in place by the tail light so what is keeping me from getting power to my switch :thanks:
Can anyone please help with this issue

Last edited by Smokeyt; 09-01-2018 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Not sure if it went thru

Old 08-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #2

If it was me, I would start by making sure the connections are good, and not corroded. Next I would get a multi-meter, and check to see where the voltage is lost. Also make sure (if equipped) the fuse coming off the battery is good.

When you say no power, are you just not getting the starter turn over, or you have no power to anything like gear position/brake lights?

Old 08-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #3

It's not something silly like the ignition fuse is it? I don't know if the Tao has one like on my Storm or not?

Old 09-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #4

Yes I’m not getting power to anything no lights gear position nothing

Old 09-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #5

There is only one fuse I see and it’s been replaced as well

Old 09-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

When I say no power I also mean the bike won’t even turn over as well

Old 09-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #7

Have you been able to trace voltage to the key switch? Might be a good idea to put a multi-meter on the battery just to make sure it shows good voltage. If it checks out good, start following the power wire, verify you have power at the next connection point.

Verify you have a good ground connection. You should have a good direction to go with after this has been checked, and verified.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #8

The battery and the key switch is brand new

Old 09-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeyt View Post
The battery and the key switch is brand new
Please excuse my blunt answer, but brand new doesn't necessarily mean it's good.

I've purchased a brand new battery, filled it with acid, and put it on a Battery Tender for one hour, as recommended. The next day it was dead as a doornail, due to a dead cell. It was brand new, but it wasn't any good.

The same goes for a key switch, I bought a new one and installed it on the quad, only to have nothing work afterwards. It was only after checking various connections with a multimeter did I come to the conclusion that the switch was defective. It was also brand new, but it wasn't any good.

My point is that you cannot assume that just because a part is brand new doesn't guarantee that it is, in fact, a good working part. The Quality Control of some of the Chinese-made replacement parts leaves a lot to be desired in some instances.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #10

Quote:
The Quality Control of some of the Chinese-made replacement parts leaves a lot to be desired in some instances.

A lot of emphasis on that. I agree with it.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #11

Chinese parts ,both OEM as well as aftermarkets are hit and miss at best, and also can vary wildly. ,as others have mentioned.Yesterday i got in a pair of fork protectors i ordered from China that took forever to get here, both same brand , identical parts in sealed bags .One had the mounting hardware and supports inside the bag, the other had absolutely none ,making it 100% useless to me, so now i have 1 i can use when i need two, and am looking at another 3 week wait to order another , and hoping it shows up as one that they actually bothered to throw the hardware /mounts

in when packaging it.
The parts are super cheap so that's not a big deal but the long wait and never knowing what you will get can at times be a bit disheartening ., but there it is, part and parcel of owning a china bike. I'll order another, hope it shows up with the correct mounts incl ., and use zip ties in the meantime .
Point being I understand you saying "the parts are new"., but sadly enough in the world of China bike parts, that doesn't always mean a whole lot .Sometimes it means you have a really shiny part that doesn't work, or half of the part(s) you ordered .

Get a meter, or a friend who has one and how to use it and start tracing where the power is being stopped and work from there .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 09-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #12

and shop around you can find the same Chinese part prices vary.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:23 PM   #13

no power

the big problem people have with NO POWER ... is that they go to far... first of all.... if you have a good battery.... then you can jump the solenoid.... screwdriver across post... this put full battery power tot he starter.... should turn starter and motor over... if not and you know the battery is REALLY GOOD.... then the starter is no good..... the motor does turn over .... RIGHT...... then once it turns over .. if you have a spark at the plug.... check sparkplug for sparking.... and the carb is not plugged... from old gas.... it should suck gas in...... take the air filter off... spray in some either ... to the carb... then close choke.... if you have spark and compression .... it should at least fire up for a second... if it will not keep running,... check you gas.... OLD GAS.... or your carb the small jet is plugged...... YOU DO NOT NEED THE KEY TO TURN ON THE ATV....... or a FUSE IN THE SYSTEM... to jump start this way... if you can start it this way... and not witht he key on... and with the start button... then at least you know ... IT CAN RUN... but fix the power to the wiring system... power in to the key switch... turn key on... power to the wiring... to the start / stop switch.. to the solenoid for starting.... BUT start it the way I said... then report back

Old 09-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #14

Ok I jumped it across the solenoid sprayed starter fluid in carb and it ran for a second so tell me this do the lights only come on once unit is running and not come on with the key ??

Old 09-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #15

It did run but can not start it with the new handle bar switch and it’s new as well as the key switch and CDI and remote and alarm module