Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #1

250cc variations

Hi Guys, It's my first post on this site, I got directed here from another forum, someone telling me there was more activity here.
I'm just after some general info on the difference between Zongshens 250 CB engines, the models are ZS165ffm , ZS169ffm & ZS172ffm.
What are the differences in terms of which engine is better, power output differences, any other info if you have it, I'm looking for the better engine of the bunch and would like some generalised advice, thank you.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #2

Welcome!
Are you only referencing CB engines and not CG? If so, all other things being equal, the engines you noted all differ in bore size (65mm, 69mm and 72mm respectively).
That doesn't reference the stroke, so the stroke could differ between motors. The M at the end of each designation means 250, but that number is usually rounded up, as with most manufacturers.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #3

I can supply the newer aircooled 249cc 72mm piston version 15Kw

Old 11-02-2018, 01:09 AM   #4

Thanks Fellas, I should have introduced myself better, I'm from the UK and we have imported motorcycles and engines for years but ALL horizontal 4 strokes so a completely different kettle of fish, I'm extremely experienced with the horizontals but have zero experience with the CB OHC engines.
I see the 223cc , 233cc and 249cc variations and clearly the 65/69/72 element is bore related, and the stroke element will calculate its displacement. .....so I suppose what I should have said is, does anyone have experience with the 3 Zongshen engines, which one would be preferable and why?
I have an order to complete in a few weeks where we will order a sample batch of motorcycles/engines and this would be good to get right first time.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:03 AM   #5

Bump.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdogrider View Post
Thanks Fellas, I should have introduced myself better, I'm from the UK and we have imported motorcycles and engines for years but ALL horizontal 4 strokes so a completely different kettle of fish, I'm extremely experienced with the horizontals but have zero experience with the CB OHC engines.
I see the 223cc , 233cc and 249cc variations and clearly the 65/69/72 element is bore related, and the stroke element will calculate its displacement. .....so I suppose what I should have said is, does anyone have experience with the 3 Zongshen engines, which one would be preferable and why?
I have an order to complete in a few weeks where we will order a sample batch of motorcycles/engines and this would be good to get right first time.
You're in luck! lol
I live in China and I am fairly knowledgeable and sell stuff worldwide.
Let me know what your are looking to do and I can advise you better.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdogrider View Post
All 3 are very much different beasts with minimal parts interchangeable, if much of anything useful at all.
They 98% do not relate in parts pretty much

Old 11-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #8

Is the 72fmm the better more powerful option?

Old 11-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #9

FYI none of them are counter-balanced and are all made of cheap metal. Some have better geometry and casting.

If you find someone selling engines besides TX let me know. Users who say they have stuff here tend to vanish when it comes time to actually pay them and have them ship something; in my experience..

Old 11-12-2018, 02:50 AM   #10

Hi, the engines will not be from any forum user, they will be a new purchase from the place of origin, the engines are Zongshen who currently have a top reputation in China motorcycle engines right now.
Given I've had no information from anyone re; performance/reliability differences then a test of 10 of each engines should give me the answers I require, thanks anyway guys.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
FYI none of them are counter-balanced and are all made of cheap metal. Some have better geometry and casting.

If you find someone selling engines besides TX let me know. Users who say they have stuff here tend to vanish when it comes time to actually pay them and have them ship something; in my experience..
Most all come in a counterbalance version. just not the 249.9cc and I can't recall if the 232.6 has or not.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #12

nz how much is that motor shipped to 33138?

Old 11-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendick View Post
nz how much is that motor shipped to 33138?
Any air cooled motor (Most are a simular price) to the USA is $750- $900 with DHL delivery included.

Shipping something like $350 motors the prices from chepest to most expensive is around $150 difference