Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #16

a lot of this stuff you read is just crap too! i still have the oem chain, oem brake fluid, oem fork fluid etc etc. some folks like to ride some like to tinker. 3 hours getting to the trails is not a problem on the hawk its you ass that will be hurting. all the hawk really requires is rejetting the carb so its not running lean.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 11-26-2018, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaiN View Post
I don't remember seeing any used Hawks locally...But then again I haven't really looked...For some reason, I feel like buying a used China bike puts me at much more risk of "buying someone else's problem"...
I am liking what I see with the CSC TT250 but at $2500 to my door its getting into what I could get into a decent used Jap dual-sport for...
There was a used DR400 bored out to a 420 or something for 1,500.00 on Craigslist here last week. Single guys who become married give up their toys pretty easy I guess. I bet he would have taken 1200-1300 :(

Great deals are out there and worth waiting for. If you have 2k in cash to play with I'd start hunting and test riding used stuff until something speaks to you. Also a dealership is good. I see used trade in stuff for under 3K every time I go in. These 230cc Chondas are for those who like to tinker and just play dirt bikes w/o making a large financial commitment. Great starter bikes too for sure, I hadn't ridden in 20 years before buying "The Storm" and I love it but need a better bike for highway, bigger fuel tank and better suspension even for just back roading.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
There was a used DR400 bored out to a 420 or something for 1,500.00 on Craigslist here last week. Single guys who become married give up their toys pretty easy I guess. I bet he would have taken 1200-1300 :(

Great deals are out there and worth waiting for. If you have 2k in cash to play with I'd start hunting and test riding used stuff until something speaks to you. Also a dealership is good. I see used trade in stuff for under 3K every time I go in. These 230cc Chondas are for those who like to tinker and just play dirt bikes w/o making a large financial commitment. Great starter bikes too for sure, I hadn't ridden in 20 years before buying "The Storm" and I love it but need a better bike for highway, bigger fuel tank and better suspension even for just back roading.
I found a few good deals I tried to get in on, a DR350, DR400 and a couple of Honda 250's but I got beat to them and they sold to someone else :(
There's a 2015 DR200 with only 1,800 miles on it for sale at a dealer locally. They are asking $3,200...I'm thinking about talking them down...

Old 11-27-2018, 11:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Reign View Post
Yes, the TT250 is eons better than the Hawk. But you also pay a little more for that luxury.
Still cheaper than any Japanese bike though!
A little more? Very close to twice as much is not really "a little more", at least to me...ARH

Old 11-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #20

$1310? add sales tax and about $200 to get it up to acceptable running order....
this seems to always be the struggle in picking used-jap or chondas. if 2k is easy to come by in few months time go chonda. if 2k is hard to come up with in few months time go used-jap. you really dont know what you got in either situation, but shinny new is more fun!... use progressive ins online. click 'other bike' and enter vin.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:11 PM   #21

I just found this vid

I have plans to head to the show in NYC this weekend....I hope CSC is there then I can see the TT first hand.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #22

A 250 cafe positively rips? please....

Old 11-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #23

STAY AWAY FROM TXPOWERSPORTS!

Seriously, if you want a Hawk wait till one pops up on craigslist that you can go get a feel for. Or save until summer and buy a used Japanese bike made from quality parts for around $2,500.

TXpowersports will send you a used one, broken one, or will NOT honor a warranty. The ONLY thing you are doing is letting them skim money out of your pocket, as all middle men do. It would make sense if they helped you, but alas, you're on your own.

I like my Magician (after a lot of work and $$, most Hawk owners spend $1650 or more all said and done, and that's before you have to replace something expensive), but it was a gamble I would not have taken had I been better informed.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisbm2 View Post
STAY AWAY FROM TXPOWERSPORTS!

Seriously, if you want a Hawk wait till one pops up on craigslist that you can go get a feel for. Or save until summer and buy a used Japanese bike made from quality parts for around $2,500.

TXpowersports will send you a used one, broken one, or will NOT honor a warranty. The ONLY thing you are doing is letting them skim money out of your pocket, as all middle men do. It would make sense if they helped you, but alas, you're on your own.

I like my Magician (after a lot of work and $$, most Hawk owners spend $1650 or more all said and done, and that's before you have to replace something expensive), but it was a gamble I would not have taken had I been better informed.
I am glad I made this post, I wasn't sure how it was going to go over but everyone has been very cool and now I am "better informed"
From this thread and where its taken me...I've pretty much written off getting a Hawk from any dealer. I'm going to keep looking at the CSC TT250 and see what I can do about that DR200s I came across... All I can say is I hope to be doing dual-sport donuts in the snow before the end of this winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
A 250 cafe positively rips? please....
He did add to that statement that it wouldn't beat a GSXR or a Prius.....lol but for a "250" it rips ...

Old 11-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #25

There are other options. There's the BMS CRP250 and Bashan BSR250 with the 21"/18" wheels. Both of these are 49 state street legal. http://shopapmc.com/Motorcycles_c_7.html
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-28-2018, 11:49 AM   #26

Riding any more than an hour, on any little enduro to get to a place to ride is a stretch, unless you're young. I'd haul it....but I'm old now.

The thing that would make me run...and run as far as possible from this, is it's TXPowersports. ANY Manny-related organization should be auto-blocked from your PC.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-11-2018, 05:45 AM   #27

Again thanks for all the help, ideas and suggestions.... After the grueling process of looking, watching, reading & researching and even braving a dealership.... I finally found the China bike that(I believe) will fit me and the riding I want to do with it. Last night I purchased a Pitster Pro XTR250 LC I dealt directly with Gary the owner of Pitster Pro, the customer service, so far, has been top notch. Just waiting on the bike now ......

https://pitsterpro.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=80

Old 12-11-2018, 07:16 AM   #28

Glad it worked out. Have fun and be safe.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #29

Pitster Pro is one of the top notch Chinese bike distributor. Their MSRP keeps most members away ��. I recall one guy from Alaska with an XTR several years ago, and his only complaint was the comfort of his seat. I have sat on a CRF 250 and its seat comfort was church pew at best, so uncomfortable is not limited to high end Chinese bikes. Ironically, many of the lower cost dual sports have quite comfortable seats. I think you have made a very good choice!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #30

Glad everything has worked out for you. Let us know how you like it!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350