Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to PorterzCustomz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
It does sound interesting though... I am interested in hearing how it holds out...

How high would the bike rev before, and how high is it revving now?
I think the stock rev limiter is a little after 10 grand. I may have hit it once or twice in first or second but I tryed to keep it low because its new. The bike has NO rev limiter now with a stage 3 CDI. I thought I wrote that in the first post.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #17

This is really interesting to me. I have to do some highway driving to get to work and I am so slow it scares me. I don’t know much about engines and such; can you post some pictures and installation instructions?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterzCustomz

I think the stock rev limiter is a little after 10 grand.
Nope. I'm pretty certain these bikes don't have a rev limiter at all. If your bike cut out at high R's, most likely it was either a fuel issue or the timing with the stock CDI box begins to float when pushed.

I'll say it again. 10K is just too much on these engines. The redline mark on the tach is just for show. These are OHV engines and won't hold together as well as an OHC engine will at stratospheric crank speeds.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #19

PorterzCustomz,Could you please have someone video you at 90 mph on a chinese bike.Its not that I don't belive you I just wat to see it. :wink:

Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #20

Personally, i'd like to be able to cruise nicely at 55 turning only 5-6k rpms. If it adds a little grunt, i'm all for it.

If you ever bog down, you can always fall back to 4th.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #21

I cant say what the top speed is on my wifes and my Birds but they both hit 70 mph ( confirmed by Utah State Trooper ) easily and with about 1/3 more throttle left to go. I wouldnt want to run much faster as they feel like they are becoming light in the front forks and a bit unstable....but at 55-60 mph they seem to handle pretty great!

Old 04-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #22

was that 90 mph on the speedo or with gps? the speedos on these bikes leave alot to be desired. mine said i was doing 80 but the gps said 72.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kczukiman
PorterzCustomz,Could you please have someone video you at 90 mph on a chinese bike.Its not that I don't belive you I just wat to see it. :wink:
I guess yea, I could try..

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterzCustomz

I am pretty sure they do have a limiter, the Honda's do and so does any other bike out there why would they be any different? They are a honda type clone and so is the CDI

I'll say it again. 10K is just too much on these engines. The redline mark on the tach is just for show. These are OHV engines and won't hold together as well as an OHC engine will at stratospheric crank speeds.
Just for show? lol.. I don't think they would be that irresponsible to just put a fake redline on the tac because they know that people go by the tac when they shift and come to think of it the stock honda XR redline is around the same rpm!! I am pretty sure they use a "soft rev limiter" so if you ever hit it you may not really notice, instead of just cutting out it fades out softly by retarding timming so you just loose power. They use it in newer cars, its pretty neat it prevents you from going over but it comes in so softly most people don't notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Allen
This is really interesting to me. I have to do some highway driving to get to work and I am so slow it scares me. I don’t know much about engines and such; can you post some pictures and installation instructions?

Thanks

umm.. none are needed, my grandma could do it. take off the seat, match up the box and plug the new one in.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #24

porterz have you found a better performing coil in your search for higher performance.

Just curious.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #25

I hate to sound dumb, but I won't learn if I dont ask. What does a CDI box and a coil do?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapkin
i've felt my bike had the potential to go faster with more gas or something, but I am mostly interested in better acceleration for merging on the highway.
heey.. I saw you on the AmericanLifan.com forums why are most of your posts deleted?

oh wow endless journey cycles is on there too.. am I the only one who was in the dark about this second forum lol

Old 04-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
porterz have you found a better performing coil in your search for higher performance.

Just curious.
YES! The same company also make a sweet coil, it looks like this, it matches the magic box!

25% more energy, hotter spark. Maybe ill buy one after the perf clutch and after I weld up a mount for my new R1 rear shock.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #28

Where'd ya get the part?

I'm not wanting to do more than 70 on my little bike but I WOULD like to drop the RPM's when I'm cruising at 55-60. Will the new box do that?
Thanks

Old 04-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #29

Porterz,
Anyway of posting some pics or vid of this, along with the other mods you've done to the GY-2?? Alot of GY-2 owners on here and I'm sure most are looking for upgrades, please share pics for the newbies...

Old 04-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #30

Hey Porterz, could you post a photo of the terminals on that CDI or your stock one would be fine. I suspect the terminal blocks are different on the lifan than the Hi-Bird. I shopped and bought a stock Honda CDI but it took a while to find one that would match. On the Hi-Bird it's not the typical Honda set up. The stock one that I purchased didn't make much of a performance difference. Thanks...

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=8088

Closed Thread