Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #1

Hellcat-Tall inlet pipe for Mikuni VM22 carb?

Hey people. Bought my Hellcat over a year ago to use as a pit bike at the track. I got tired of the carb issues so i decided to go ahead and do some of the 'mandatory' upgrades so to speak.

I got the Mikuni VM22 carb kit that included the inlet pipe. Didn't change any jets, threw it on and it runs sooooo much better just sitting and idling.

But, the carb is so close to the head....the float bowl has maybe 1/2" clearance.

I've been searching for a tall inlet, but not sure exactly what i need.

Any suggestions?

Also, what do you guys do with the vent tube going from the crankcase to the airbox, since i removed the airbox?

Thanks

edit: I found this 'riser' for the VM22, but one of the openings is not a complete circle?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNC-...935130482.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tao tao carb 1.JPG (65.6 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg tao tao carb.JPG (66.5 KB, 322 views)

Old 03-04-2019, 02:12 AM   #2

I have the same carb on my Hellcat but I mounted it up to the stock inlet pipe and kept it facing back. The the inside diameter of the stock inlet is only about 18mm, smaller than the carb outlet. I used a 24mm insulator between the carb and the inlet and ground a taper on the carb side of the inlet so the air kind of funnels into the smaller diameter.
Could I be robbing myself of some potential power by using the stock inlet?Maybe, but I think it's negligible and it runs great. I wanted keep the carb facing back and I could not find an aftermarket inlet that would allow me to do that.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
I have the same carb on my Hellcat but I mounted it up to the stock inlet pipe and kept it facing back. The the inside diameter of the stock inlet is only about 18mm, smaller than the carb outlet. I used a 24mm insulator between the carb and the inlet and ground a taper on the carb side of the inlet so the air kind of funnels into the smaller diameter.
Could I be robbing myself of some potential power by using the stock inlet?Maybe, but I think it's negligible and it runs great. I wanted keep the carb facing back and I could not find an aftermarket inlet that would allow me to do that.
That's why i didn't use the stock intake manifold because of the I.D. of it compared to the Mikuni one that came with the carb.

I may just use the stock intake manifold since i'm not concerned with top speed. 30mph tops is all i'll ever do, for now anyway.

With the amouunt of aftermarket stuff out there, hard to believe there's not a tall intake manifold out there.

Thanks man.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #4

I'm surprised red hasn't chimed in already but if you search ebay for carb spinner, it's a way to dial your inlet to where you want it. I picked one up but never used in on my vader. Mine's pretty similar to how yours is now and always been ok.