Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #196

Caffeina, nice looking bike.

Nice looking bike. I like it better than the Buccaneer.
Wish it was available in the USA.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #197

I made a friend with a Buccaneer and she is breaking her bike in very gently. The attached photos show the swarf af her first 200 mile oil change.

The mechanic argued with her about replacing the stainless filter with a paper filter... until the stainless filter literally came apart in his hands as he attempted to clean it.

Charles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B949D988-4ECF-433F-B936-2575A472C798.jpg (11.2 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 853A1BF8-53E7-4076-983C-55A1229A4733.jpg (11.9 KB, 296 views)

Old 04-07-2019, 06:58 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
wow... has anyone seen the Caffeina on Italjet's page? It looks like a far, far uglier version of the Buccaneer. FAR uglier.

Far.

https://www.italjet.com/moto/en/caffeina/

The yellow one appears to have a 17" rear wheel instead of the 15". The black shows the 15" rim. Specs say both wheels are 17" now, but the black bike definitely has the 15" rim on there. Or maybe a 16 considering the tires its running.

USD forks are a nice touch and I love the headers... but god damn the rest of that bike is hard to look at. Especially the black one.

Charles.

I don't know.. I think I might like it better. Then again, maybe I just personally relate too much to the ugly/simple nature of the bike?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #199

Well, I'm thinking the numberplate is crooked and looks weird in that location. The italjet logo on the tank is not attractive in either color. The voltage regulator is also crooked. The lack of any kind of sidecovrers shows off ugly stuff inside the frame behind the motor. Not a fan of the taillight, and please can I have a seat big enough for two actual humans? Also the tank-mounted speedo... why? Just to make it impossible to see? It works on the triple, leave it there!

I do like the exhaust, USD forks, and wheel selection. If these go into production, I'll be looking for a place to order the wheels at the very least.

Charles.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #200

Update on my bike:

I've got 1600 miles on it so far, and my rear tire is looking like it's about halfway through its life. That's not good! I love these tires, but I'm on target to get 3000 miles out of a rear, I'm thinking.

Charles.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #201

Hrm, somehow those images I posted are tiny. I guess becuase I did it from my phone. So here's the full sized photos of my friend's filter swarf at 200 miles. VERY gentle break-in, by the book.

It looks like a little bit more swarf than I had, and I did a harder break-in.

It's still a small sample size though, so no conclusions can be drawn yet.

Charles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carly1.jpg (88.7 KB, 633 views)

Old 04-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #202

Wierd, the forum kept resizing the photo down really small. I had to re-save it with a .jpg extension instead of the .jpeg she sent me, and then it worked.

Charles.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Hrm, somehow those images I posted are tiny. I guess becuase I did it from my phone. So here's the full sized photos of my friend's filter swarf at 200 miles. VERY gentle break-in, by the book.
It looks like a little bit more swarf than I had, and I did a harder break-in.

It's still a small sample size though, so no conclusions can be drawn yet.

Charles.
Yep, that's very interesting indeed. Much more swarf than mine, and a good reason not to use samples of n = 2 for inference.

I would still maintain that manufacturers have good reasons for their recommendations, or else they wouldn't burden their customers with them. But since I encounter so much pushback for what seems to me to be a reasonable position, I no longer want to upset any sensitive types by pressing the issue. Carry on, optimists, say I!

(And by sensitive types, I don't mean you, Charles.)

Buccaneer

Old 04-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #204

Don't overlook the ABS being introduced on the Caffeina. I'd like to have that.

As I believe I mentioned before, this cosmetic design is older than the Buccaneer, and was to be produced and sold by an Indonesian manufacturer, apparently before Italjet gave up and went with Ningbo Longia.

I think it is extraordinarily ugly, and could scarcely believe it is to be marketed in Europe but for the inclusion of the ABS that European standards now mandate. But tastes differ, and mine aren't universal.

Buccaneer

Old 04-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #205

I did ask SSR if they'd ask Longjia if they can get the exhaust header off that bike, and they said it's unlikely but they'd ask.

Charles.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #206

Hey everyone. I am picking up an ssr buccaneer in a couple weeks. I live in the mountains and plan to use it on curvy roads up here only and stay away from cars and main roads. I am curious has anyone tried to reduce vibs with rubber engine mounts?

Old 04-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperbmw69 View Post
Hey everyone. I am picking up an ssr buccaneer in a couple weeks. I live in the mountains and plan to use it on curvy roads up here only and stay away from cars and main roads. I am curious has anyone tried to reduce vibs with rubber engine mounts?
Great news! Which mountains, if you don't mind saying?

I don't know of anyone using rubber engine mounts. Are they made for the Virago 250, perhaps?

I found using really heavy bar-end weights helped reduce vibrations a lot, though not completely. They are the stock weights for a Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva, and are not expensive.

Welcome to a very select club, I think.

Buccaneer

Old 04-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Great news! Which mountains, if you don't mind saying?

I don't know of anyone using rubber engine mounts. Are they made for the Virago 250, perhaps?

I found using really heavy bar-end weights helped reduce vibrations a lot, though not completely. They are the stock weights for a Moto Guzzi 1100 Breva, and are not expensive.

Welcome to a very select club, I think.

Buccaneer
Sure I live in north Georgia very close to North Carolina border. I will look at those bar ends. I plan to put grip cushions on as well.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #209

Very cool, that's right near Suches and Two Wheels Only motorcycle resort! I've been there a lot in the past, but not since they've re-opened.

The vibes on this bike really aren't bad. Most of it is in the seat, not the bars. Rubber mounting is not an option, there is no provision for that on the motor or on any Virago 250 motor.

Charles.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #210

I also found filling the bars with bar snake or spray foam, helps a lot.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350