Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2019, 12:49 AM   #1

Hawk Sproket gearing for steeper hills

Hello my friends, can anyone recommend a good front and rear gear ratio to help my Hawk get up steeper Hills. I do mostly mountain and technical riding. however I don't want to lose too much of my top-end either for when I am on the road What would be a good front and rear sprocket to have that kind of balance? and if you could include the links of where to buy them it would be appreciated. Thank you. or include the part or model number. Thanks again.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:13 AM   #2

Have you thought about buying several front sprocket sizes? you can fairly quickly change them and gives flexible ratios.

The right gearing very much is a personal choice or in fact may not really exist without a comprises on either being a bit high or low.

Changing front sprockets can be done fairly quickly and I think you can get from 13T all the way to about 17T

Whats your rear sprocket now? and front? what % reduction do you estimate you might want?

Old 04-11-2019, 03:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighMountianHawk View Post
Hello my friends, can anyone recommend a good front and rear gear ratio to help my Hawk get up steeper Hills. I do mostly mountain and technical riding. however I don't want to lose too much of my top-end either for when I am on the road What would be a good front and rear sprocket to have that kind of balance? and if you could include the links of where to buy them it would be appreciated. Thank you. or include the part or model number. Thanks again.
To really get an idea of where to go it would be great to know where we are at now. What is your current sprocket configuration? Stock 15 front 50 rear?

Also, can you quantify just how much top end you desire? Any specific speed you wish to be able to not only reach, but sustain? Do you mind being pegged at 8000rpm to go 60mph - which is what the stock gearing gets you - or would you rather be able to maintain a certain speed?
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #4

I currently have the stock set up, I believe that would be the 15 front 50 tooth rear correct? I really am mostly concerned with getting up steep hills rather than higher top end. there's been a couple times that I have stalled on a hill and it's really hard to get started when you're on the hill pointing upward, also a couple of times I got stuck in the mud and I thought I was going to burn that clutch up trying to get out of the mud or go up hills. I need more power on the low end. also I noticed when I'm riding my Yamaha tt500, ( of course I know there's a lot more power than the hawk) when a short Steep Hill is in front of me I just hit the gas a little bit on my tt500 and I fly right over it and land on the rear wheel Softly. When I hit the gas on the hawk to go over a short Steep Hill I very seldomly get airborne. I wish I had a little bit more power and better suspension, besides those two things I think the hawk is the greatest bike for the money and I really like everything else about it. I just want better suspension and higher low end. Let me know what you think about the suspension also. Can a whole different set of front and rear shocks be put on to make the landing softer if you want to get airborne after increasing low-end power.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #5

How would it affect things if I leave the stock front and put on a 56 tooth rear? maybe that would be too much of a change? How about a 52 tooth rear? do they make 54? Or maybe 17 tooth in the front and 52 rear?

Old 04-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #6

Here are the sprockets available. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can use this calculator to figure out gearing that will keep whatever max speed you want. I have already entered the Hawk Information. Just enter Hawk 250 in the filter to bring it up. http://woodsware.aciwebs.com/gears/
For more power if you haven't done this already, you can remove the Cat or install a complete free flowing exhaust system and of course tune the carb by replacing the way to small main jet that is in the stock carb. You can find most of this information in the Hawk Information and Resource guide: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20331
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
... do they make 54...
Jt (Almost every powersport shop sold this brand) NO http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTR269/ U can try other brand by luck

Old 04-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #8

additional information for my specific situation: I'm not sure about changing the jet because I ride at an elevation between 7 and 11000 feet. I got the jet kit, I'm wondering which jet Would be good for that elevation? I appreciate the information about the calculator but I don't think the calculator is going to tell me what gear ratio to use to get up Hills right? It's only for Speed. I appreciate your input

Old 04-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #9

I will agree with Jerry. If the bike is stock, then take the time to either decat the stock exhaust or install the aftermarket system, do the airbox mod to the lid, and/or tune the carburetor. The stock Hawk is actually geared quite short from the factory as it is with a 15 front and 50 rear. What really holds it back is the factory carb tuning and that ridiculous catalyst in the head pipe.

That said, if you are after more stump pulling power, I would personally stick with a 15 tooth front sprocket and install the 56 rear. This would be a 12% gearing reduction from 3.33:1 to 3.73:1 and would drop your top speed in 5th gear from 60 to 55mph. From there, if that still isn't enough, a 14 tooth front sprocket would drop it another 8% to a 4:1, and reduce top speed to 50mph.

Another option would be the 52 tooth rear sprocket, and then buy a few front sprockets to play around with ratios a bit. A 13 front 52 rear would net the same 4:1, a 14 front 52 rear 3.72:1, 15 front 52 rear 3.47:1, 16 front 52 rear would be about the same as stock, and a 17 front 52 rear would actually be a little taller at 3.06:1. As you can see, this would give you the ability to really figure out what works best for you. I personally try to go with the largest sprockets I can in order to get the desired ratio I am after as it puts less stress on the chain, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. With the 56 rear sprocket it would take a 17 front just to basically end up back near the stock ratio.

Definitely play with the gearing link that JerryHawk250 provided to get a good feel for the changes. I will stress again that the stock setup on these engines really holds them back. The change in mid range power after doing the intake, exhaust, and carb jetting is quite noticeable. WIth you being at high elevation, the stock jetting is likely fairly good to go on an unmodded bike, but it would require jetting if you decat the system or install an aftermarket exhaust.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
additional information for my specific situation: I'm not sure about changing the jet because I ride at an elevation between 7 and 11000 feet. I got the jet kit, I'm wondering which jet Would be good for that elevation? I appreciate the information about the calculator but I don't think the calculator is going to tell me what gear ratio to use to get up Hills right? It's only for Speed. I appreciate your input
If the engine is not cutting out or bogging at full throttle then your jetting is fine.
Just gear it as low as you can if you are not worried about top speed. Anything lower that the 15/50 will be an improvement.
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #11

Quote:
How would it affect things if I leave the stock front and put on a 56 tooth rear? maybe that would be too much of a change? How about a 52 tooth rear? do they make 54? Or maybe 17 tooth in the front and 52 rear?
you can easily change the front sprocket to a 13 tooth. If you have not changed the front fork oil out to either ATF fluid or one of the made-for-forks oils, you should do so. The differance has been reported as the differance between night and day. The only cure for the rear is a different rear shock. They are available on e-bay. Others on here can tell you which one to get...ARH

Old 04-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #12

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it, good answers, can you tell me how to remove or modify the Catalyst on the head pipe? Also is there a video about how to modify the current exhaust is it just about removing the spark arrestor? I already did the airbox mod. Do they sell a 54 tooth rear sprocket? otherwise I guess I'll go with the 56 on the back and the stock sprocket on the front. What is the size of the jet on the stock carburetor? Is it a .95 or .105? I'm assuming by removing the spark arrestor on the muffler it would make it more loud? Thanks.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #13

Click on the link in my signature for the Cat mod. Stock main jet is a 98.
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #14

I couldn't find a 54 tooth, but if the 56 is a little too short for you then bump the front up to a 16 tooth and that will get you really close to a 15/54 equivalent ratio.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #15

does anybody run stock chain and rear 50t sprocket, and only upgrade front sprocket to a 17t?