Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2019, 10:22 PM   #1

Handle bar vibrations

So the Hawk has vibes and I except it. I see Aluminum fat bars, Inserts, bar weighs, on and on. Looking for something that works. I don't have a death grip and swapped out the new grips that are awesome! Should I try lead shot and fill the bars? Trying to dump the last bit of bar vibe. It's not uncommon to burn 100 miles on a ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (7.7 KB, 355 views)
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 06-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #2

In addition to aluminum bars, I wear mechanic's gloves that are designed for impact gun use, with a padded palm. Cheaper versions can be found at HF; more spendy versions are at HD.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #3

Aluminum fat bars help, but the addition of bar end weights or brush guards can also help. A bar snake or shot like you mentioned can also help a bit. No matter what you do, there will always be some level of vibration. One type of vibration that is hard to eliminate are the ones that come from more aggressive knobby tires.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-05-2019, 12:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Aluminum fat bars help, but the addition of bar end weights or brush guards can also help. A bar snake or shot like you mentioned can also help a bit. No matter what you do, there will always be some level of vibration. One type of vibration that is hard to eliminate are the ones that come from more aggressive knobby tires.
Knobby lives matter lol. This afternoon we took the bikes down to the dam, me on the Hawk and Chris on his KLR. I was able to ride up and down the beach and had no problem climbing back up the hill to the highway in the sand. His bike was almost worthless in the sand and it took him 3 attempts to get back up on the highway. If you've got a street legal dirt bike why would you run anything less than big knobbies?

Old 06-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
If you've got a street legal dirt bike why would you run anything less than big knobbies?
My Shinko 700s are less aggressive than typical knobby tires and suit the kind of terrain and riding that I do better. Why is simple enough... Better road manners, less vibrations, etc. Not much in the way of forests, beaches, or mountains here in the Central Plains. Lots of dirt roads, fields, and scrub with dry hard pack or gravel/sand mix. An occasional wet land near a river is about as close to a beach that I can get, and that is often more wet clay mixed with sand, or find silt mud. That is about the only instance where a more aggressive tire would be better suited, and those are fewer and farther between. I am on pavement about as often as I am on those surfaces, so having something a bit better on the road makes more sense.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:06 AM   #6

Sounds like you need a street oriented Magician for daily commuting, and a full blown Hawk for serious off roading lol.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Sounds like you need a street oriented Magician for daily commuting, and a full blown Hawk for serious off roading lol.
Magicians dont fit giants like me very well

Old 06-12-2019, 09:07 PM   #8

Took the plunge.

I ended up with these ProCaken Protapper knockoffs aluminum bars and what a difference they make. The vibes are significantly reduced and my rear view mirror images are stable now. Kind of a pain to reset everything but well worth it at $35 with the adapters. Buzzing along at 55 mph I can feel the stock knobbies now. They're next on the list. Highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (3.9 KB, 263 views)
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 PM   #9

basically the same bars I have, except mine have Renthal stenciled on them lol. They are great bars, I love mine.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Knobby lives matter lol. This afternoon we took the bikes down to the dam, me on the Hawk and Chris on his KLR. I was able to ride up and down the beach and had no problem climbing back up the hill to the highway in the sand. His bike was almost worthless in the sand and it took him 3 attempts to get back up on the highway. If you've got a street legal dirt bike why would you run anything less than big knobbies?
Why would i use an "off road only" type on a Street legal dirt bike?
Yes you can use them on the street, but the handling is not really good. Paved road+ Rain+ Knoobies for me that's a big no.

I use Pirelli MT60, they have a very good handling on wet roads, great handling on gravel and dirt road, Ok in sand and you can work your way into some light mud.

These motorcycles are actually 70 on and 30 off, so i like to use a tire that fits better.

Knobbies, just like mud tires on truck. Not hand roads poorly but when used on road, they won't last as long as they should.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
Why would i use an "off road only" type on a Street legal dirt bike?
Yes you can use them on the street, but the handling is not really good. Paved road+ Rain+ Knoobies for me that's a big no.

I use Pirelli MT60, they have a very good handling on wet roads, great handling on gravel and dirt road, Ok in sand and you can work your way into some light mud.

These motorcycles are actually 70 on and 30 off, so i like to use a tire that fits better.

Knobbies, just like mud tires on truck. Not hand roads poorly but when used on road, they won't last as long as they should.
I'm kind of a purist when it comes to offroad vehicles, my big Chevy runs 38" Swampers and my Toyota runs 33" Buckshot Mudder IIs. Do they wear faster? Yes, can I go places an all terrain tire would never dream of? Yes.

And when it comes to bikes I have logged far more miles on pavement riding dirt bikes than street bikes. As soon as my farm chores were done I was gone until curfew, and got really good at riding without a headlight, oncoming cars won't blind you if you if ya don't look directly at them. So yes, I feel very comfortable riding on knobbies, it's almost all I've ever known. And I try not to ride in the rain, but if I have to I just use a little more care as far as brake and throttle.

I just bought my cousin a TBR7 and I'm sure we'll have some difficulty trail riding together because of his sub standard traction.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #12

Quote:
I'm kind of a purist when it comes to offroad vehicles, my big Chevy runs 38" Swampers and my Toyota runs 33" Buckshot Mudder IIs. Do they wear faster? Yes, can I go places an all terrain tire would never dream of? Yes.

And when it comes to bikes I have logged far more miles on pavement riding dirt bikes than street bikes. As soon as my farm chores were done I was gone until curfew, and got really good at riding without a headlight, oncoming cars won't blind you if you if ya don't look directly at them. So yes, I feel very comfortable riding on knobbies, it's almost all I've ever known. And I try not to ride in the rain, but if I have to I just use a little more care as far as brake and throttle.

I just bought my cousin a TBR7 and I'm sure we'll have some difficulty trail riding together because of his sub standard traction.
That's all I ever ran was knobbies on my Hawk. The stock Hawk tires are street legal and DOT approved. I'm doing more street riding lately due to the only place I ride off road is about 8 foot under water because of the Mississippi rivers is so high. It looks like it will be July before it will dry up enough to open the spillway back up for riding.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
That's all I ever ran was knobbies on my Hawk. The stock Hawk tires are street legal and DOT approved. I'm doing more street riding lately due to the only place I ride off road is about 8 foot under water because of the Mississippi rivers is so high. It looks like it will be July before it will dry up enough to open the spillway back up for riding.
I feel ya on the wet weather. I have amazing trails that literally start from my back door but to get into or out of them you have to traverse some extremely steep hills or ride a deep rocky creek. And with it being so wet I'm honestly afraid to try it by myself so.. I have to ride 25 miles to get to the other 3 riding areas and even those are a little worrisome riding by yourself. That's why I so desperately needed a riding buddy, to the point I was willing to buy him a bike.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #14

Fill the stock bars with spray foam. They also sell Bar Snake. Works good too.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #15

Just installing the hand guards will kill most of the vibrations. It did on my bike anyway.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel