Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #1

Apollo X-18

Hey all, just found this site. I just got an Apollo X-18 125cc for my boy. We got it together and got it fired up and he was able to ride it around a little to check it out and figure out the clutch. Was too dark for more than a few minutes though. I fired it up the next day and had trouble with the idle. I live in New Mexico at a mile high so figured I would adjust it for the altitude but I can't get to the mixture screw on the bottom of the carb. I tried to get the carb off but can not for the life of me figure out how to get the cap off the carb where the throttle cable goes in??? It doesn't want to screw off like a normal cap. There is a brass "ball" thing on the cap that seems like it should line up with a slot to maybe pull off?? It is a Jing Ke carb. I have an actual Mikuni VM-22 on order but will still need to remove this carb. Anyone know how to get the cap off of this?

Old 06-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #2

The brass ball on the cap unscrews. Try to get a flat ended pair of plyers, and unscrew it. Once off, you will notice a brass circle/plug on the bottom of the carb. Slowly drill a small hole, and pop it out. This will give you access to the air/fuel screw. The bike will run much better with the Mikuni Carb.

As a precautionary measure, wrap the air filter with a pre-filter. The stock air filter won't do very good when dust is present. Uni makes a foam sheet that you can cut to fit, and you can use RTV to connect the ends.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll check that out when I get home. I figured the brass ball must slide through a notch or something. I was able to get the cap out for the fuel screw but figure I will just put on the Mikuni and not even mess with it. I will have to check out a pre-filter as I am in the desert. Dirt everywhere!

Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 AM   #4

Douglass, thank you for the help. I have never seen that in a carb before! I was able to get that screw out. Only took a couple of minutes. Put in the Mikuni and night and day difference! The bike runs and idles great now!! Didn't even adjust the carb yet. 100% better than the original carb.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #5

Just to update everyone. My boy has been riding the bike for a couple weeks now, here and there. I just got a Coolster 125cc ATV (3125b) for my 11yo. My younger boy, his friend and I went riding for a while last evening. This was my first real ride on the Apollo X-18. With the Mikuni clone on, it rides nice. Snappy throttle and nice idle. I did notice though in 4th gear from about 3/4 to WOT it hesitates a little. Kinda bogs down before kicking in. Guess I need to adjust the carb a little bit. Not too bad for just throwing it on with no adjustment at a mile above sea level.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Douglass, thank you for the help. I have never seen that in a carb before! I was able to get that screw out. Only took a couple of minutes. Put in the Mikuni and night and day difference! The bike runs and idles great now!! Didn't even adjust the carb yet. 100% better than the original carb.
You bet, glad to hear it worked out. I ran a 112.5 main jet with the needle clip in the middle position. Bike ran great... I am at 68 feet