Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #1

Fuel line issues?

I just changed my fuel line on my boom lol doc and the line from the tank to the filter seems not flow anything, the bikes been idling but I think that’s from left over gas from the line coming out of the filter since it was full when I changed the line from the tank to the filter, is this an issue or normal? The last lines were jet black so I didint see how it operated lol

Old 09-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalcookie View Post
I just changed my fuel line on my boom lol doc and the line from the tank to the filter seems not flow anything, the bikes been idling but I think that’s from left over gas from the line coming out of the filter since it was full when I changed the line from the tank to the filter, is this an issue or normal? The last lines were jet black so I didint see how it operated lol
it will dribble a drop of fuel every 2 seconds or so. mine never flowed. most will object, but i got rid of my fuel filter bc i couldnt get one to work longer than a week or so or find one that let the fuel fill up the lines very much. if you got after market carb, its easy to clean it than mess with crappy fuel filters. all i had on the lines was petcock. i have seen some riders place the fuel filter as close to the carb as possible and not have much slack in the lines. i had one of 8 vaders that wouldnt get enough fuel bc of this flow issue, but all of them had very slow dribble off the tank

Old 09-03-2019, 04:57 PM   #3

Okay, I'm not clear on if you are saying the fuel flow from the tank to the filter is very slow or not present, or from the filter to the carb. But, I can tell you this. , if you still have your evap canister on the bike, on the Gen 2 style Vader it is located right underneath when the rear of the tank bolts the frame- the tank outlet is a small metal pipe and a lot of them are NOT bent in to a true " L " shape ,and if you really tighten down on the tank mounting bolts, it forces the tank outlet / fuel line down onto the top of the evap can, and it pinches it shut, so no gas will flow.

If the problem is gas not present in the line from the tank to the filter, you need to check and make sure the fuel line isnt being smushed shut between the tank and that evap canister, if you need to you can put some flat washers or rubber washers in there to give enough space so the fuel line doesnt get pinched shut.

I've seen this condition on several Gen 2 Vaders, i solved it on mine by doing away with all that smog stuff and evap cans etc but thats a story and thread for another day.

Hope this helps ,let us know if you find the issue -
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 09-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #4

Redcrow, I am talking about the flow from the tank to the filter as for the line being pinched the line is not obstructed as far as I can tell it has plenty of room

Old 09-03-2019, 07:27 PM   #5

My petcock dribbles fuel and I'm replacing it today. I assumed it was my fuel filter, but it flows fine...I got impatient draining the gas to repair my tank....pulled the petcock off and got full flow..chinese rubber does not like something in our fuel here. It swells instantly. Could be the source of my lean carb problems. You might test yours. Hope this helps.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:28 PM   #6

If you have access to an air compressor, take your gas cap off or loosen it, then blow compressed air into the fuel line into the petcock, if there is trash in the petcock that should force it out of there. Dont blow air thru or past the filter , unhook it so its just open fuel line to the tank / petcock .

Also, try loosening the gas cap and checking if that helps the flow before you try the compressed air , if the tank vent hole is blocked , there is no atmospheric pressure to allow the tank to gravity feed ,loosening the cap will solve that and gas will start flowing, then you can check your tank vent hose etc . to see what isn't venting and stopping your fuel from flowing.

If you are sure the line isnt being pinched then it has to be either a blocked pet cock or vent hose / hole .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeaupollo View Post
My petcock dribbles fuel and I'm replacing it today. I assumed it was my fuel filter, but it flows fine...I got impatient draining the gas to repair my tank....pulled the petcock off and got full flow..chinese rubber does not like something in our fuel here. It swells instantly. Could be the source of my lean carb problems. You might test yours. Hope this helps.
Ethanol fuel will cause the rubber to swell. It will also eat up the stock rubber fuel lines over time. Try to use ethanol free fuel if possible and change out the fuel line to silicon based fuel lines.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S (Sold)
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #8

I found I always left the petcock on so I got rid of it and just ran 1/4 inch tubing from the tank to K&N fuel filter than into the carb. No leaks.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #9

i never used a petcock on my vader until i installed a mikuni carb. i think all mikuni carbs have to be turned to the front of vader vs. to the rear like stock. this mikuni is now tilted downward and my float in the bowl wouldn't shut off the fuel entirely while parked bc of the now tilted carb. having a petcock installed fixed this leaking problem at the carb, without tinkering with adjusting the float level.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapdog View Post
i never used a petcock on my vader until i installed a mikuni carb. i think all mikuni carbs have to be turned to the front of vader vs. to the rear like stock. this mikuni is now tilted downward and my float in the bowl wouldn't shut off the fuel entirely while parked bc of the now tilted carb. having a petcock installed fixed this leaking problem at the carb, without tinkering with adjusting the float level.
Good to know. I never considered checking to see how level the carb was.