Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2019, 09:54 PM   #1

New plug

New plug, put about 100 miles on it so far. Jets are 110/25, needle is at next to last slot. I’ve been having to increase the idle every couple of days and carb/filter was cleaned at the same time as the new plug installed. Motor still begins to surge at 64 mph. That plug rivet coating is pretty light grey, the dark parts look normal I think.

Opinions?
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 09-19-2019, 04:24 AM   #2

That plug doesn't look bad to me but without doing a WOT run with a new plug then it just telling you the overall condition. Does the surging stop if you give it a little less throttle? And at what rpm is it surging?

Old 09-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #3

Thanks, we can’t do a chop or anything like that on the Bashan bikes unfortunately. RPM is 8,000 give or take assuming the gauge is accurate. With a little help from gravity you can rodeo it up to 67 mph but it’s alway starts the bucking at 64 mph, used to be at 62 mph until I went down a little on each jet.

What should these CG’s do when you hit the rev limiter? Buck, just stay the same ?
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 09-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
You did all that shit to your bike and cant even make a kill switch for it. It is simple take a switch with two wires on it and splice one to the black wire with a white stripe and the other to a green wire. that simple. Use the four way flasher switch you already have. That is what I did on my bike and it works just fine.

Nope sure haven’t.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #5

Alright sports fans this weekend on mini vacation I dropped from my day to day 1,500 feet down to 456 feet in elevation and the bike got quiet. Even at the max of 62 mph there was a noticeable difference in the noise coming out of the exhaust. The usual popping in decelerations was just gone. I believe the bike is slightly less strong while down at 456.

Would that say anything about the jetting?

Old 09-22-2019, 08:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
Alright sports fans this weekend on mini vacation I dropped from my day to day 1,500 feet down to 456 feet in elevation and the bike got quiet. Even at the max of 62 mph there was a noticeable difference in the noise coming out of the exhaust. The usual popping in decelerations was just gone. I believe the bike is slightly less strong while down at 456.

Would that say anything about the jetting?
Everything with jetting
It’s now more correctly jetted for the lower altitude

Old 09-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #7

So what NGK plug are you running ? I asked a couple times here but didn't get an answer.
I see yours has an "R" (Resistor?)

I googled "spark plug for Chinese 229cc-250cc engine" and the NGK DR8EA_S4 came up.
I asked for that plug at the local Powersports place and he had a DR8EA but without the _S4. I bought it and am hoping it will work.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #8

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F303210680840

This is a good starter kit
No resistor plug or cap needed as that’s uncimmin
I did look in Chongqing for the resistor caps but he had no stock due to uncommon
Plenty normal non resistor types tho

Old 09-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
So what NGK plug are you running ? I asked a couple times here but didn't get an answer.
I see yours has an "R" (Resistor?)

I googled "spark plug for Chinese 229cc-250cc engine" and the NGK DR8EA_S4 came up.
I asked for that plug at the local Powersports place and he had a DR8EA but without the _S4. I bought it and am hoping it will work.

NGK R

DRO8EA

Is what the plug has stamped on the other side. It’s my 4th one, I’ve just have bought new ones when messing about with the jetting and every time I’ve brought in the used one and asked of there is a better one and the guys looks in their computer says no not really.. so these are what I’ve been using.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Everything with jetting
It’s now more correctly jetted for the lower altitude

Ok and Thanks. I will try running 105/25 jets and see how it does at my normal 1200-1500 feet.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
NGK R

DRO8EA

Is what the plug has stamped on the other side. It’s my 4th one, I’ve just have bought new ones when messing about with the jetting and every time I’ve brought in the used one and asked of there is a better one and the guys looks in their computer says no not really.. so these are what I’ve been using.
The one I got is just DR8EA. Seems to do as well as the stock plug so far.
Got my new carb and idle is still high. Turning idle screw out didn't help.
A friend asked me to check the other idle screw that came in the spare parts bag, it is about 1/8" shorter, so tomorrow I'll try that one.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
The one I got is just DR8EA. Seems to do as well as the stock plug so far.
Got my new carb and idle is still high. Turning idle screw out didn't help.
A friend asked me to check the other idle screw that came in the spare parts bag, it is about 1/8" shorter, so tomorrow I'll try that one.
Mine idles notoriously low. I give it a little turn about every 3 rides and start over and clean the carb out when I start running out of screw, probably every 4 weeks. It hadn’t occurred to me there is shorter or longer screws. Also, I don’t know anything about plugs. Just using what they sell me, anything is better than the stock plug as from what I understand can explode while in use.