Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

Uh-oh...It's Mr. NeverPlea from N.C.!

What's up everyone! Glad to get this started. Long time lurker, reader, here!
I have had many types of these ATV's around over the years and the reminates are all over, lmao! But, now I find myself intrigued by the growing enduro/dualsport/supermoto/smaller than adventure but adventure type powered, off road/ on road, things with two wheels and a motor with the bars and the dirt and smoke/gasoline smells, with the deep breathing.....MOTORCYCLES!
Yeah, a reignited interest in dual sport motorcycles!
I'm hoping, I have found a place to discuss this without the flaming and "the big 4" coming up.
As for now, I have no problems. But that can entirely be contributed to the simple fact that I do not currently own a bike. (cough cough) But, I am one of those crazy people that rides something and takes it apart to put it back together to ride it again. The ENTIRE process is enjoyable to me. If I had a good running bike, I would pull it apart in about 4 hours, to find something to fix, anyway!
So this is how I got here. I am familiar with most atv related things and even build my own wiring harnesses that seem to also end MOST of my electronics failures. So I would rate China bikes high for anyone who enjoys tinkering, myself included!
I am looking for suggestions on which bikes are notable for frame quality and suspension quality?
I want 70% offroad, 30%highway. Like trips to the store and fill ups on road.
I am and ex motocross racer so mostly frame quality and fork quality are my hot buttons. Horsepower only works on the ground! But I know I will sacrifice this when I drop a tag on the back! (Boo-hoo).

Open to your suggestions from the Hawk to the Himalaya, what's the bikes I should be considering in 2020? Looking for...great offroad with a tag, OR decent offroad, with a tag and POWER, both are acceptable!

If you read this far, you are a trooper. And the climax was in the beginning. THANKS!

Old 10-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #2

You will fit right in, and don't worry, while we do tend to discuss the "Big 4" most of us also already owning a bike or two from them, we tend to stick to the reason for this forum existing.

To really narrow down what you are looking for it would help to know if you have a budget you want to work within, if you live in a state with any emissions requirements (aka, any CARB compliant states), or a state that may have stricter standards for registration. What kind of capability do you want from said bike as far as highway duty? Is there a level of power you just can't work with? etc.

Frame wise, most of the bikes now on the market, aside from maybe one, are all pretty solid. The one that I consider questionable really isn't a true dual sport in my eyes anyway, but that is personal opinion (The Magician).

Suspension wise, most of the more budget bikes out of the box leave a bit to be desired, but can be improved on to some degree, but they aren't really intended to be hardcore off road monsters either and are definitely more geared toward being road bikes with some decent competence on rough surfaces/light trails. Want something more than that and you will be looking at spending closer to $3000 to get something like an XTR T4 LC with it's longer travel adjustable suspension and billet alloy goodies.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

Welcome aboard! I can see you're going to fit right in over here.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #4

Take a look at this bike https://www.orionpowersports.com/ori...embled-tested/

It looks like the XTR T4 LC ,which I think is rebranded Kayo T4 but for a lot lower price.

I have the Kayo T4's big brother a Kayo K6 (rebranded as a Pitster Pro LXR250) which has a fuel injected, water cooled, 4 valve, 6-speed Zongshen NC250. It's a great bike, but there doesn't seem to be anybody offering them in the US now. I got mine as a close-out special a couple of years ago. The only bikes I see now with the NC250 engine are $4000+

For under $2,000 the Orion looks like a good deal.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Take a look at this bike https://www.orionpowersports.com/ori...embled-tested/

It looks like the XTR T4 LC ,which I think is rebranded Kayo T4 but for a lot lower price.

I have the Kayo T4's big brother a Kayo K6 (rebranded as a Pitster Pro LXR250) which has a fuel injected, water cooled, 4 valve, 6-speed Zongshen NC250. It's a great bike, but there doesn't seem to be anybody offering them in the US now. I got mine as a close-out special a couple of years ago. The only bikes I see now with the NC250 engine are $4000+

For under $2,000 the Orion looks like a good deal.
Yeah, that literally is an XTR T4 for $1000 less. I wish this existed when I needed to replace my Hawk.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #6

Razz

I appreciate the suggestions! Haven't had the chance to look at them yet, but I am looking forward to checking them out.
To answer some questions:
1. I live in N.C. registration of offroad vehicles is not allowed, must have a title and dot approved.
2. Highway isn't really too important, but I would like it tagged, because I WILL go down the road anyway, I cant lie to me!
3. Power takes a backseat to suspension, I am 200-210 lbs fluctuating all the time, depending on my load at work/durations. Ultimately it doesn't matter cause I will race you on that pit bike over there, and grin the entire time.
4. My budget is comfortable. I will foul my first post by saying. I actually want a xr650 (dont hit me,dont hit me, ex sponsors)but I would love to have something else that I can ride now and pass off to the wifey to ride with me after the new year passes. Hench the good quality frame and suspension would come into play when setting it up for her, -100 pounds, and I wont tear the steering stem off by then. Lol.
5. A 16 yr old boy....sure he will want to ride....sure he will drop it...pretty sure he will shoot it down the road when no ones looking...so a cheaper bike with a tag seems to fit right in. Besides then I can helmet smash him when he looks at the future inverted fork 650. (Off topic, anybody seen a bobber goldwing, cool!)
6.I have a 55+ Harley riding, beer drinking, truck driving, dad.... and so I wheelie around acting annoying on anything except cruisers or American made....OF COURSE! I'm into my mid thirties, dont get me wrong, I have manners... but I damn well like acting stupid too.

Never really enjoyed street bikes, dont know why.
So I guess as capable of an off road bike as possible with easy registration, no C.A.R.B. that's the other side.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicallyMinded View Post
I appreciate the suggestions! Haven't had the chance to look at them yet, but I am looking forward to checking them out.
To answer some questions:
1. I live in N.C. registration of offroad vehicles is not allowed, must have a title and dot approved.
2. Highway isn't really too important, but I would like it tagged, because I WILL go down the road anyway, I cant lie to me!
3. Power takes a backseat to suspension, I am 200-210 lbs fluctuating all the time, depending on my load at work/durations. Ultimately it doesn't matter cause I will race you on that pit bike over there, and grin the entire time.
4. My budget is comfortable. I will foul my first post by saying. I actually want a xr650 (dont hit me,dont hit me, ex sponsors)but I would love to have something else that I can ride now and pass off to the wifey to ride with me after the new year passes. Hench the good quality frame and suspension would come into play when setting it up for her, -100 pounds, and I wont tear the steering stem off by then. Lol.
5. A 16 yr old boy....sure he will want to ride....sure he will drop it...pretty sure he will shoot it down the road when no ones looking...so a cheaper bike with a tag seems to fit right in. Besides then I can helmet smash him when he looks at the future inverted fork 650. (Off topic, anybody seen a bobber goldwing, cool!)
6.I have a 55+ Harley riding, beer drinking, truck driving, dad.... and so I wheelie around acting annoying on anything except cruisers or American made....OF COURSE! I'm into my mid thirties, dont get me wrong, I have manners... but I damn well like acting stupid too.

Never really enjoyed street bikes, dont know why.
So I guess as capable of an off road bike as possible with easy registration, no C.A.R.B. that's the other side.
Well, given all of the above, if suspension ranks over power, then anything on the cheapest end of the specturm - aka Hawks, TBR7, etc. is likely not for you. That Orion linked above for the dollar is probably as good as it gets for price vs. hardware in terms of suspension.

Also, XR650R is one of my dream bikes. Price wise they cost about as much as the higher end chinese bikes, but they are so damn hard to find around where I live. No shame in talking about it.

Since you mentioned Goldwings.... My last "big bike" before I bought my VFR1200 was a resto-modded 1975 GL1000K0. Not quite a bobber, not quite a Cafe bike. I called it a Retro-neo street fighter. Updated electronics, full LED lighting, no fenders, fancy paint, and some suspension upgrades. This is still my most absolute favorite picture of it, taken by my better half.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Welcome aboard! I can see you're going to fit right in over here.
yes welcome aboard here!!! Yes, Jerry, he is going to fit right in!!!! Mechanic, you have a great sense of humor. If you have written any stories or wit that you would like to share....check out my thread about new authors, and send us a post.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 10-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #9

Beautiful picture Dan! I think I saw that you posted that else where. You have a lot material that I read and have read.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 10-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #10

Welcome, MM! I appreciate your writing style.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #11

Jeez, I’m older than your Dad? You’re younger than my kids?

(Said something similar to a new assistant my dentist hired)

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #12

Thank you to everyone who took the time to view and reply. I do appreciate the thoughts and input.
I have learned over my short time here on earth, that things of this nature seem to keep you young, age gaps matter no more. As far what I at 34 would say to you as an older Male is: Dont stress over the small things and let yourself be happy, that's right....LET yourself be happy.
I will try to contribute when I can and.....WOW, THATS A SWEET LOOKING GOLDWING. I'm a dirt rider at heart, but when I do make the street switch I will attempt something similar. Cafe/bobber boxer too cool! I love that it shakes off the "wannabe harley" stigma! TAKE THAT DAD! Lmao, I'm kidding.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #13

Should any of the bikes be avoided because of bad countersprocket to swing arm pivot angles? I ran into that with the atv's.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #14

That Orion bike is real nice. The linkage on the rear means, I might could lower it in the future. I will have to research it, thanks!

Old 10-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #15

Quote:
WOW, THATS A SWEET LOOKING GOLDWING. I'm a dirt rider at heart, but when I do make the street switch I will attempt something similar. Cafe/bobber boxer too cool! I love that it shakes off the "wannabe harley" stigma! TAKE THAT DAD! Lmao, I'm kidding.
There is actually some fun info/history behind the early Goldwings amd how they were built. Honda never intended to compete with Harley directly in any way, and in fact first designed the bike to be a long distance touring bike but with a more sporting feel. The GL1000 was in essence the first real sport touring bike ever made. That is why they actually don't have a lot of rake to them, and why the engine tuning - cams, carbs, etc are actually quite aggressive (for the period) for the size of the motor. The 75-77 GL1000's have the largest cam profiles in terms of lift and overlap, and the biggest carburetor bores (32mm) of any goldwing ever produced. Every update reduced the cam profiles and shrank the carb bores to shift the power curve down. A 75-77 Goldwing engine, while decently torquey in the lower rpm range, pulls like a beast past 4500rpm, and will happily do so all the way to 9000rpm. It sounds pretty bad ass too. They were rated at 80hp, but that bike put down 68 hp at the tire through that old school inefficient shaft drive. That is why many believe the 75-77 bikes were underrated and made closer to 90-100hp. The fact that they were the fastest bike sold on the market until the KZ1000 came along - and only JUST beat it - supports this. Anyway, enough rambling about Goldwings lol.

Quote:
Should any of the bikes be avoided because of bad countersprocket to swing arm pivot angles? I ran into that with the atv's.
Suprisingly, no. Even on the most budget friendly bikes the sprocket-swing arm angles aren't all that bad. They aren't perfect, but not bad.