Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #1

Rear brake broken?

Removed the rear brake caliper to pull the wheel to swap tires and now this morning the foot lever is floppy and the pads aren’t grabbing. I pulled the caliper off and put it back on hoping that would work but nothing changed. It’s got plenty of fluid and worked fine before I changed out the tire. Any guesses? I was hoping that maybe some water got in there and froze from when I gave it a wash and it just needs a thaw????

**I poured water over it all and it behaved normally for a couple of minutes so mystery solved. It’s too dang cold for this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 83DC19E8-1D96-47D2-9432-4644C7787CA6.jpg (20.2 KB, 239 views)
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Last edited by ChipToothy; 12-01-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:31 PM   #2

I was just out riding yesterday here and it was about 29°. But I make a habit to never wash my bike.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:18 AM   #3

Most brake fluids ( Except for DOT 5 types ) are made from some type of glycol based compound. Most of those compounds have a freezing point of around -40 Deg C . That is from online search on brake fluid , Ive been out of bikes for while lot of changes since I owned 1. What remember if have fluid that's been there while it goes bad or is less effective -40 C is cold, if just wasted an had ice on it well. Hope not knowing much helps= Since ive been out of game long time

Old 12-05-2019, 04:43 AM   #4

Probably just pushed the pistons into the calipers a bit. Pumping the brake peddle a bunch of times should return things to normal.