Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2020, 08:02 PM   #1

Rhino rear allignment question / confusion

So I am trying to figure out why my rear alignment is off, looking form the rear, the right rear tire is about an 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to the left and it seems to track slightly to the left. The ATV rides a little "crabby" on the road. I am not sure if this is an acceptable tolerance for Chinese ATV's or something is off. I adjusted the chain tensioners several times to try an compensate for the misalignment to no avail. Seems that the rear swing arm is fabricated slightly so that the right read weld is slightly longer than the left, explaining the problem. see pics below. Now I looked up the part on partskit.com and it seems to look the same. Is the swing arm suppose to be like this? If so, how do I compensate and align the rear? If its not, will this part be covered under the 90 day warranty. Not sure what I am missing here gentlemen, asking for some advice. Thank you as always for the help!

Old 03-12-2020, 09:51 PM   #2

I think that we all have experienced this to some degree. You could cut the tube off, even out the side tubes by shortening the longer one, and re-weld it. Or do what 2LZ has suggested (and I've done) loosen everything up, attach a crankable strap to the side that needs tweeking, crank on that mother until it looks straight, and tighten it all back up.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-13-2020, 10:40 AM   #3

David, Thank you. I am a beginner welder with a small flux core. I don’t think I would want to risk a job like that considering all the pressure that is placed on that one joint. The more I look at this swing arm the more I can’t believe how off it actually is! Wondering if I can fabricate a tab on the center hub mount that would allow me to extend the right top hole where the hub mounts to the swing arm to give me 1/2 inch hole further back...... Im thinking even if I crank the rear right with a strap I don’t think I can make up for the amount of compensation needed. And by needed, I mean close, not perfect. Maybe the combination of both the second hole and strapping it will work….

Do you think a new swing arm from partskit will be just as off? Any better quality control for aftermarket parts than the ones shipped assembled on the units?

Old 03-13-2020, 12:15 PM   #4

Yup. They're all that way. I strapped mine and cranked it straight. Then next time I adjusted the chain, I just left it crooked. Doesn't effect ride or steering, it's just annoying.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #5

Thanks 2LZ. Did you strap and crank it down from the axel or some other point. I am affraid I am going to bend the axel. Tell me Im wrong.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1328 View Post
David, Thank you. I am a beginner welder with a small flux core. I don’t think I would want to risk a job like that considering all the pressure that is placed on that one joint. The more I look at this swing arm the more I can’t believe how off it actually is! Wondering if I can fabricate a tab on the center hub mount that would allow me to extend the right top hole where the hub mounts to the swing arm to give me 1/2 inch hole further back...... Im thinking even if I crank the rear right with a strap I don’t think I can make up for the amount of compensation needed. And by needed, I mean close, not perfect. Maybe the combination of both the second hole and strapping it will work….

Do you think a new swing arm from partskit will be just as off? Any better quality control for aftermarket parts than the ones shipped assembled on the units?
Buying a new one will be taking a chance that it will come jacked. I know of at least 3 of us that have used the strap technique and not had any issues. Give it a try and check out how it feels. Nothing to lose that way and it might be alright.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Yup. They're all that way. I strapped mine and cranked it straight. Then next time I adjusted the chain, I just left it crooked. Doesn't effect ride or steering, it's just annoying.
I seem to recall either you or someone else had a picture showing this.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #8

I would be careful cutting and re-welding... thinking it might have something to do with the way the chain lines up with the sprocket.... and they offset the rear to make it work.

Not sure how the frame material welds..... especially with a flux core mig... if you do go down that road get some tube (that fits inside) stuffed inside on both ends before closing it up just to be sure it doesn't crack the welded joint. You will want to make sure the inner tubing gets some weld penetration to. I have a feeling the stock steel will melt away to some extent. LOL if its anything like the shipping crate steel it will melt like butter.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:41 PM   #9

There has been talk about replacing it with one from a Yamaha (Weldangrind) but I don't think anyone's tried it.

Edit: Just checked out ebay. It looks like a swing arm from a Banshee may fit;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-Yamaha-B...edirect=mobile

I can't tell if everything, bracketwise, is there though. The older Warrior, Blaster or Raptor arms may work also.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Last edited by david3921; 03-14-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:13 PM   #10

axle alignment

I always check my measurement from the left front rim to the rear left rim... and compare it to the right front rim and the right rear rim... check this measurement and get it witin 1/2 inch... loosen you rear axle bolts.. and adjustors.. and then crank a strap from the front A ARM... on the side you need to move it back wards.. and adjust your spread... then when you get it right or close... tighten the axle bolts and adjustors .. then loosen and remove you strap... then it will run true... watch the cjain adjustment when doing this... your chain should run true as well... this is the important part.. with the right tension..

Old 03-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #11

So I think I found a relatively easy solution that seems to have worked for me. I actually bent the hub mounting bracket about 10 degrees to compensate for the out of alignment swing arm. Much less noticeable now and I haven’t had any issues with chain alignment. I did have a vise casualty though, so I would not recommend trying this in a cheap HF vise.