Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2020, 06:48 PM   #1

TBR7 engine case bolts multiplying

My TBR7 started to make a grinding sound when coasting in neutral. It seemed like it was on the starter gear side. The oil change was due so the old oil was drained, the magneto side was opened. Wasn’t sure that there should be oil on the magneto, but there was, probably for the starter gears…

The starter gears seemed free enough and no chunks or chips were present.

So I opened the right case and everything seemed undamaged.

Contemplated splitting the case and doing minor research, I noticed a video on this site - The 2020 TAO MOTORS TBR7 Aka TAO TAO, TAO Motor Racing thread called “Marbles in the Magneto? First "major repair" on TBR7 - loose stator bolts!!” and so I opened up the magneto side again and sure enough the bolts were loose.

Even though I should know better, I never took pictures of the case bolt locations by size and also mixed the left and right side bolts. I ended up with a long bolt with nowhere to stick it (isn’t that always a problem?)

The internet gods failed me for easy information on bolt placement/length for the TBR7 motor.

I have faith in this site for knowing everything about China bikes and await my well-deserved public scorn for being an idiot and hopefully, some mercy details.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2020, 07:50 AM   #2

I opened and closed the side cases several times and there is no empty place for the bolt. It is as if elves had thrown in an extra just to mess me up.

Well it is a China bike and perhaps...

I ran it for a little over 30 miles and there was no oil leakage, nothing exploded and it was like old times.

Still, it is affecting my mind, what little is left... Surplus parts usually means bad things, however, I have faith in the exceptionally robust copy of the old school Honda engine design, sort of.

Is there a TBR7 service manual out there?