Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2020, 05:15 PM   #1

Magician 250 Rear Wheel Upgrade Hawk Owners Help Please

Hello,
I've had a magician for the last 2 years and I've put about 1600m on it. Overall I've been very pleased with my purchase. I've done some mods such as changing the main to a 110, removing the cat and opening up the air box as well as adding a 17t front sprocket. I would like to drop my gear ratio a bit more from 2.65. As has been covered in other threads a rear sprocket with fewer teeth than a 45 in a 428 chain is impossible to find. So I've decided I want to do away with the rear wheel, preferably a hawk 18'' rim. I can get one locally for $140 and if I can make it work I'll be very pleased. However I'm willing to change the swing arm if I have too and that's what I need help with.

Can someone please give me the specs one their hawk swing arm? ie dimensions where the spindle secures the arm to the frame and where the shock tower bolts in.

If anyone know of any other rear wheel assemblies that would work as well please let me know.

My goal is get a bigger overall tire, something around 26'' outside diameter (like the hawk) and be able to have options for different rear sprockets.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:24 PM   #2

Just trying to determine if the hawk swing arm is compatible with the magician before I start wasting money.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:04 AM   #3

Short of taking my Hawk apart to measure, this thread may be of help to you. The Brozz swing arm is almost identical in terms of measurements to the Hawk, and there are some pictures with a ruler that should give a rough idea of what you might need. https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=24066

As far as more accurate, unless somebody else can chime in sooner, I will try to get them as soon as I get home.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-21-2020, 09:46 AM   #4

That was very helpful, thanks. I saw in another thread mention that bolt that connects the arm to the frame is 14x1.5x260mm. That should be everything I need for the rear, now about the shock tower...

After some research I discovered that I will have to get the arm to make the hawk rear wheel work on the magician. The two rotors and positions of the calipers are completely different. I will have to get a hawk rear caliper and rotor; which isn't too expensive. All together I'm looking at about 300 bucks.

I keep my bike at my folks place in the country; I'll be going out there to compare measurements in a couple days.

One more question...most of the riding I do on the bike is forestry roads and pipe line. Nothing extreme at all. I do go on a 2 lane highway at 55 to get to these trails. I want a little better road capibility. This thing just screams at 55...will putting this larger tire on and a 40t sprocket give me a better balance between the road and the trails? According to my math, doing this will drop my ratio about 22% from 2.65.

I will continue to update this thread as I go through the he process.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #5

Drak, I just added a 40 tooth rear sprocket to my magician two days ago. If any one is interested and responds I'll post all the details.
Old Timer

Old 04-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #6

Grin

Very very interested. Please let me know where you got it, your process and what kind of difference it made.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #7

I saw lots of 40t sprockets for a 520 chain but nothing for a 428.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Drak, I just added a 40 tooth rear sprocket to my magician two days ago. If any one is interested and responds I'll post all the details.
Old Timer
By all means! Do a write up on how you did it. And post some pictures!

Old 04-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #9

I wanted to change my Magician rear sprocket to a 40 tooth. I could not find anybody that sells one, so I ordered one from PBI sprockets in Oregon. I ordered the aluminum as the deal was not available in that size. PBI ass for some measurements, the center hole which is 45 mm, The diameter of the circle which runs through the mounting holes which was 136 mm, and the mounting hole dimensions which were 8 mm. I ordered on Tuesday afternoon and the sprocket was in my mailbox at 11:15 on Friday morning kudos to PBR. I had to use some washers, four per mounting bolt Between the sprocket and the hub mounting tabs. Standard 5/16 washers work just fine. I had to cut off four millimeters off one side of the two washers that were closest to the sprocket. That allowed clearance for the chain. It was fairly easy to do and the total cost was under $45.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:53 PM   #10

My hats off to you for that job! The issue with a 40 tooth on the Magician is the fact that the six mounting holes are 23.5 mm in diameter and border right on the chain at a 45 tooth. So when you got to 40 teeth there simply is not enough room for the chain not to hit the large 23.5 mm round studs that that go through the sprocket and are held by bolts in the center and thus weakening the sprocket. Sounds like you removed the round mounting studs that go through the stock sprocket and used washers to back space the sprocket with an 8 mm retaining bolt to hold it all? I say to be sure I understand how you did it. Here is a diagram for sprocket measurements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magician Rear sprocket diagram.jpg (14.0 KB, 501 views)

Old 04-28-2020, 11:35 PM   #11

Magician 40T rear sprocket

The sprocket I had made had no lightening holes, and the 6 mounting holes were 8mm in diameter. So each 8mm mounting bolt went through a lock washer, then through the sprocket, then through the 4 5/16" spacer washers and then screws into the hub. The two 5/16 washers nearest the sprocket had 4mm cut off one side. This clearance allows the chain to go around the sprocket without hitting the spacer washers.

old timer

Old 04-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
The sprocket I had made had no lightening holes, and the 6 mounting holes were 8mm in diameter. So each 8mm mounting bolt went through a lock washer, then through the sprocket, then through the 4 5/16" spacer washers and then screws into the hub. The two 5/16 washers nearest the sprocket had 4mm cut off one side. This clearance allows the chain to go around the sprocket without hitting the spacer washers.

old timer
The discs that mount through the sprocket appear to be some type of cush bearing with a rubber center piece? I have not taken it apart so I am not sure but that would seem to be the only purpose to take up some of the chain force on the sprocket. So how does it run compared to the 45? Have you done any speed testing on it?

Old 05-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #13

Yes, those spacers are also dampers. However, as a Yamaha/Honda for 25 years, I've never see another cycle with those type of dampers. I've been inside most of the time sort of sickly the last two weeks, so have been out to ride just around town. No change noted at up to medium speeds. I'll check the higher speeds as soon as i am able.
Thanks for your interest

Old 05-01-2020, 09:48 PM   #14

Rest and take it easy Old Timer, get to it when you feel like it. The only way to realize the speed potential of the 250 cg motor is through proper gearing and for the Magician that is a lower rear ratio. I am thinking the rear wheel swap might give more flexibility.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #15

I ended up ditching my original plan; I just can't justify that kind of money to drop my ratio another 10% with a larger wheel. I ended up doing the same thing as old timer and got a 40t sprocket fabricated by PBI. Definitely dropped my rpm. I just went about 50mph and for once the bike wasn't screaming. I couldn't be happier. Thanks so much old timer. You saved me a lot of time and frustration.

I got mine made to the same specs as old timer but for some reason or another I had to change a few things from what he did. My original sprocket was spaced 10mm off the hub. I had to use 6 M8 flat washers to achieve the same spacing as before. I also couldn't use the original flange bolts, they were touching the chain. I could have ground down the flange but I opted to just get new hardware.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200503_152403551.jpg (93.6 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200503_152337292.jpg (93.2 KB, 429 views)