Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

TaoTaoTBR7 Maximum Reliability Ideas

I have a new 2019 TaoTao TBR7 and live in the US. I am planning a long cross country trip through Africa hopefully this fall. The trip will mainly be on paved roads, but some of those roads are pretty harsh or remote and the trip is about 1500 miles.

I am going to ship the bike to Casablanca, Morocco and ride to Tunis, Tunisia.

I have plenty of time to prepare and I am looking for any ideas to maximize the TBR7 reliability.

What can I add, subtract, change or even take with me for this extended trip in somewhat remote areas to avoid any service issues?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:54 PM   #2

a couple of CDIs would be high on the list
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 05-18-2020, 10:25 PM   #3

1) If you haven't already, I would strip the bike down to pretty much the frame and wiring and go through it. I would replace the wheel bearings with all balls bearings, consider the triple tree bearings and add a grease zert to the triple tree and the swing arm and pump the grease in till it squirts out of all ends sealing the ends of the triple tree and ends of the swing arm bolt and shaft.
2) Go over the frame inspecting for issues (look at swing arm welds as recent problems)
3) Replace the headlamp and tail lamp or have spares
4) Carry a spare ignition and charging system complete (coil, cdi, stator, pickup) backup dependability worth every oz. weight
5) Install an oil cooler (carry your stock stuff in case the oil cooler fails)
6) Extra cables or cable repair coil
7) Install new sprockets and X ring chain
8) Right tools, feeler gauge (do valves, break down, tire repair, etc
9) Motorcycle information or service information (valve specs, electrical etc) if you need service you need to tell someone what you need.
10) Go over all the wiring add silicone to connections or swap out for waterproof ones
11) Replace the tires with something heavy duty
12) Consider tire backup inflation systems or run flat.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:59 PM   #4

I have a TBR7, have been riding it since November.

If yours is new I suggest that you put about 1000 miles on it and see what breaks, falls off or starts smoking. Fix that first.

BTW, shipping to Africa is more than likely going to be more than the value of a TBR7. Then there is the need for temporary import license (not free) or possibly a carnet (usually $1000) so you can move the bike between countries. They don't show you all that stuff on the travel blogs do they? Just lots of carefree fast riding and friendly chats with border guards.

Think about picking up a Chinese bike in Africa. That might be easier. The place is full of them

Old 05-19-2020, 01:45 AM   #5

Chinese bikes are prevalent throughout many areas of Africa, so in the general sense you will have a dealer/repair network. You might want to try to research this angle as much as possible. One possible issue I can forsee is I am not sure if Taotao has a presence on the continent. I do understand that Bashan bikes are all over South Africa and one of our members has one in Lesotho.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #6

Come on if you can afford a trip like this,buy a real Honda and let the good times roll.Have fun, would not even think of any where near that place.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:18 PM   #7

The OP was 18 months ago so either it was all a brain fart,

the TBR7 dissolved on the side of the road before he could get it into a crate for shipping,

or he is not trying to raise ransom fees to get away from some "liberation army" somewhere in Africa.

And chances are if he is still there he ain't coming home soon. You can no longer travel from there to here. It's that covid thing.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #8

Not correct on the last part, I flew to where I am in West Africa slightly more than two months ago, and my in laws flew here this past week. Travel is still possible.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:58 PM   #9

The journey is the reward

With Covid travel restrictions I have been unable to do the trip, but I am ready when they are. I need 2 visas that aren't avialable and the several of the 5 border crossings are nearly impossible. The concern about Africa danger is unfounded, in my opinion. I have done 4 trips to Africa, 72 countries around the would and all 7 continents, Africa is no better or worse than anywhere else you just have to be smart. There are parts of the US that are terrible also - I live in Chicago.

I have put about 1000 miles on the bike to see what would break before sending it off to Africa. It is fun to ride and different than my other bikes. The cost is only part the story, it was the joy of building the bike, customizing it the way I wanted and getting ready for the trip while I could not go. Otherwise, I would have bought or shipped my Harley or a KTM.

The panniers are from 1/2" conduit, the rear box is from Harbor Freight, digital speedo & tire pressure guage, voltmeter, cell phone charger + my cell phone get me every digital thing that a KTM or BMW has. I built it all and did it at low cost.

The China bike was picked becuase of the low cost, but more importantly, I know what I built and how to fix it. I could have bought a bike in country (I would not know its reliability), but I built this one, tested it and will ship it. I am NOT shipping it back. I plan to donate it to a church, school or whatever strikes my fancy. Becuase the cost was so low the return shipping does not make sense.

The journey of the build and learning about the new bike is part of the adventure for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Bike Side.jpeg (20.2 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpeg Paniers.jpeg (4.8 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpeg Bike Handle Bars.jpeg (21.6 KB, 260 views)

Last edited by dhilbish; 11-28-2021 at 02:41 PM.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #10

If you end up in Conakry or Dakar, shoot me a message, I'll either be in one of those places, or I'll have contacts that can potentially help out. What's your planned route?

Old 01-07-2022, 08:25 PM   #11

Thats to bad, are you still planning to go ? Good luck

Tags
tbr7 taotao reliability