Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #1

new observations of the recon

I took the recon for a short ride in the forest late yesterday afternoon and made a couple of new observations that I will need to address. ONE- I hit a hole that I didn't see a couple of times and the front suspension bottomed out pretty hard. after that I was watching closer and stood going through them and that seemed to work.
TWO- the front fender rattles, probably because they took the strut out on the 2020 models, that should be an easy fix and really isn't a big deal.
THREE- I can see that the seat is going to make an all day ride a bit of a challenge, I probably only rode an hour and when I was almost home I realized that I was near to raw where no guy wants to be raw, hopefully a little baby powder of monkey butt will solve that.
FOUR- it is still hard to get into neutral when the engine is at operating temperature and running but if I shut the engine down it goes right into neutral, I expect break in to cure that.
overall with very limited use I am still impressed with what 2 grand will buy, as the old saying goes time will tell. I will update for those who may have interest in one of the brozz bikes.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #2

glad you're enjoying the Recon...yes, the Brozz is a good buy for the money. My take on your observations: ONE,..I mostly ride paved secondary roads (90%) , so I can't comment on hitting big bumps..my front shocks do me good.
TWO...I have heard or read of the front fender rattle...I think its just in the way it is mounted, it tends to flop up and down sometimes over rougher surfaces...again, my experience there has been more smooth roads.
THREE...As far as the seat,..I have to say, this is one of the best seats I have had on any motorcycle,..and that goes back to the late 60's...maybe the Recon is different?
FOUR...As far as the clutch,..most all these China bikes really gain free-play at the lever when warmed up....that gives you less disengagement...makes neutral a little tougher to click into setting still....I usually re-adjust my freeplay during a ride to keep close to zero play at the lever...then re-adjust again during my next cold-to warm ride cycle..I myself dont mind that routine,....have had other bikes over the years that have acted similar.
2019 Brozz 250

Old 05-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Ditch View Post
I took the recon for a short ride in the forest late yesterday afternoon and made a couple of new observations that I will need to address. ONE- I hit a hole that I didn't see a couple of times and the front suspension bottomed out pretty hard. after that I was watching closer and stood going through them and that seemed to work.
TWO- the front fender rattles, probably because they took the strut out on the 2020 models, that should be an easy fix and really isn't a big deal.
THREE- I can see that the seat is going to make an all day ride a bit of a challenge, I probably only rode an hour and when I was almost home I realized that I was near to raw where no guy wants to be raw, hopefully a little baby powder of monkey butt will solve that.
FOUR- it is still hard to get into neutral when the engine is at operating temperature and running but if I shut the engine down it goes right into neutral, I expect break in to cure that.
overall with very limited use I am still impressed with what 2 grand will buy, as the old saying goes time will tell. I will update for those who may have interest in one of the brozz bikes.
One- I recommend changing the fork oil to something good and make sure they are at proper capacity. There's lots of opinions on fork oils (like all lubricants) but my choice, for my size and weight is Bel Ray 10w. The stock fork fluids in these are as good as the stock oil.

Two- Odd they removed a support. Easy fix.

Three- The seat may very well get better as it breaks in to your butt. I'd give it a little time. If not, the Coleman seat cover available at Walmart is a popular option.

Four- I've only had two Hondoids that were easy to find neutral after they got to operating temp. Not even the RX3's or the TT250 could I get an easy neutral, even after fluid changes and multiple clutch adjustments. Hopefully yours is simply an adjustment at the cable.

Thanks for the update!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleway4 View Post
glad you're enjoying the Recon...yes, the Brozz is a good buy for the money. My take on your observations: ONE,..I mostly ride paved secondary roads (90%) , so I can't comment on hitting big bumps..my front shocks do me good.
TWO...I have heard or read of the front fender rattle...I think its just in the way it is mounted, it tends to flop up and down sometimes over rougher surfaces...again, my experience there has been more smooth roads.
THREE...As far as the seat,..I have to say, this is one of the best seats I have had on any motorcycle,..and that goes back to the late 60's...maybe the Recon is different?
FOUR...As far as the clutch,..most all these China bikes really gain free-play at the lever when warmed up....that gives you less disengagement...makes neutral a little tougher to click into setting still....I usually re-adjust my freeplay during a ride to keep close to zero play at the lever...then re-adjust again during my next cold-to warm ride cycle..I myself dont mind that routine,....have had other bikes over the years that have acted similar.
I have adjusted the free play 2 or 3 times and did again before leaving this afternoon and either that or the crash helped because there is a huge improvement but like you I don't mind adjusting it, only takes a minute or two.

as for the seat I wont rush to change it but I think it is the sharp corners that are causing me problems.

Thanks Cway

Old 05-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
One- I recommend changing the fork oil to something good and make sure they are at proper capacity. There's lots of opinions on fork oils (like all lubricants) but my choice, for my size and weight is Bel Ray 10w. The stock fork fluids in these are as good as the stock oil.

Two- Odd they removed a support. Easy fix.

Three- The seat may very well get better as it breaks in to your butt. I'd give it a little time. If not, the Coleman seat cover available at Walmart is a popular option.

Four- I've only had two Hondoids that were easy to find neutral after they got to operating temp. Not even the RX3's or the TT250 could I get an easy neutral, even after fluid changes and multiple clutch adjustments. Hopefully yours is simply an adjustment at the cable.

Thanks for the update!
I think I will be changing the fork oil, I am going to have to do some research to try to figure out what weight I want to go with.

thanks 2LZ

Old 05-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #6

woke up sore backed this morning but I still went out for a short ride.............that ended up being about a hundred according to the odometer. the forest roads were pretty decent for the most part but there was a couple of spots that got hairy and buggered me up quite a bit. I picked my route last night but couldn't remember the whole thing and ended up riding at least 4 times the distance that I had planned, about 17 or 18 miles by highway and the bike did fine but I wasn't thrilled with being in traffic, luckily that was only a matter of a few minutes.
The deep sand beds are really giving me a fit and I am sure it is me and not the bike. I actually slowed down and shifted down into 1st gear several times and dangled my feet to keep it balanced. the shocks are going to have to be addressed and since I have to get into it I will probably go ahead and lower it to see if maybe that will help me in the deep sand beds, when it is really thick I just can't screw up the nerve to power through it.
after the crash I decided to get a helmet so I ordered one from amazon last night and some boots because I am ruining my hiking boots and kicked a root going into a turn, I got lucky and it was a glancing blow so no broken toes but it was a wake me upper. another thing that came out of todays ride was the repositioning of the shift lever.
If anyone has thoughts on this I would love some opinions, I am thinking after I make sure the shift lever is how I want it rolling some 5/16ths or 3/8ths round stock along the backside to make it a little harder to bend in a fall, would that put to much risk on the shaft itself?